Enough time in Milan Airport?

bosox04

On our return from Barcelona to Miami the first connection is a 1hr layover in Milan that arrives at 2:15pm on Iberiaand I have to then board an Alitalia flight at 3:15 to Newark.

Is the 1hr layover enough time to get to the next gate?

We have never been in this airport so I'm just seeking someone else's experience/opinions.

Thanks!

From the information I have gathered from this board I understand the Milan airport is a snap when making connections. That one hour layover is easy compared to Paris or LAX. In my opinion this is not going to be a problem. Maybe Globalizer will comment on this one. Tim

Sorry, I have no experience of Malpensa (and little of Linate, which is not the relevant airport anyway).

As far as I can see, though, the minimum connecting time is an hour. This means that if all goes well, there should be no problem with the connection - and it is "legal" so you should be protected if you happen to miss the connection, so long as the connection is written on a single ticket.

However, it does not leave much room for error. If your Barcelona-Milan flight were to be 30 minutes late, you would be seriously struggling. Also, flight schedules for May 2006 (which I assume to be when this is for) will be finalised in January/February 2006. If one flight time were to be moved even 5 minutes in the wrong direction, the connection would go illegal.

So much depends on how close to the edge you like living (I live very close to the edge for airline schedules, but that's why I need to know how they work!), how critical it is that you get home the day that you're booked to fly home, and how attractive or unattractive the alternative options are at the moment.

It's a legal minimum connection time, but cross your fingers that you have no delays on the inbound....or that the aircraft serving Segment 2 is also delayed!

Nevertheless, I like flying thru Malpensa because it is a well-planned airport.

Archived