Do TA Push Certain Cruise Lines?

Dancin85

If I'm posting something I shouldn't, I apologize in advance....Dancin85

I know Travel Agents can't be named here but this just a general question....I think.

Do TA have incentives to push certain cruise lines and/or cruises?

Since early spring, I've been dealing with the same TA. We have a cruise out of San Juan booked for December 2015.

I'm looking into booking a short 4-5 cruise for this December.

DH has never cruised so this will be his maiden voyage. He's a landlubber :rolleyes:

When I called my TA and asked her to get me a quote for xxxxx, she said "Sure but you really should think about cruising with yyyy instead."

Today, the same thing...I sent an email saying I was 99% sure that xxxx was the cruise line and itinerary we had decided on.

Her reply was telling me the reasons I should reconsider and go with yyyy.

Back to my original question?

I think they do. When I wanted to get info and book my first cruise Ihad decided I wanted to book on HAL. When I went to a certain large agency that specializes in cruises they did everything to talk us into a Princess cruise. I didn't like the hard sell, so went to a smaller local agency and booked on HAL.

Some TAs will work with one or two cruise lines more than others, so they will try to promote it because it really makes their job easier (they know more about what's available, they may know the names of cruise line reps that they deal with, etc.)

I think they do. When I wanted to get info and book my first cruise Ihad decided I wanted to book on HAL. When I went to a certain large agency that specializes in cruises they did everything to talk us into a Princess cruise. I didn't like the hard sell, so went to a smaller local agency and booked on HAL.

Princess is yyyy that the TA is pushing.

Well, my TA has told me that she does receive better incentives from some cruise lines more than others. She did not detail exactly what she meant, as in higher commissions, more freebies, more OBC allowances, etc, and I wasn't about to ask her. That being said, she has never said what the OP's TA has, though she has no problem giving you advice, based on her first-hand experiences. She is also not a big fan anymore of Carnival, and is reluctant to book anyone on them, though she will do it if that's what the customer really wants.

She is also not a big fan anymore of Carnival, and is reluctant to book anyone on them, though she will do it if that's what the customer really wants.

Same with my TA; she isn't a fan of Carnival.

Even though Carnival has nice itineraries and some of the ships have very nice reviews, I've been hesitant to consider them. I have a group of friends that are seasoned cruisers going on the Carnival Dream in the Spring; their first Carnival Cruise. I'm waiting to hear their opinion.

I found a TA because I wanted advice, help, and someone else to book for me since I'm still new at this. Then this came up, so I begin to wonder if TAs got incentives to sell more of one cruise over the other.

Same with my TA; she isn't a fan of Carnival.

Even though Carnival has nice itineraries and some of the ships have very nice reviews, I've been hesitant to consider them. I have a group of friends that are seasoned cruisers going on the Carnival Dream in the Spring; their first Carnival Cruise. I'm waiting to hear their opinion.

I found a TA because I wanted advice, help, and someone else to book for me since I'm still new at this. Then this came up, so I begin to wonder if TAs got incentives to sell more of one cruise over the other.

Well, I think that a good TA will give you their opinion, yet still do what you wish, regardless of their commission rate.

YES

Travel agents are "sales" agents. There are incentives to book particular cruise lines. Incentives vary by season, number of cruises booked, commission rates, etc.

As such, agents benefit by steering their customers to particular cruise lines or voyages.

YES

Travel agents are "sales" agents. There are incentives to book particular cruise lines. Incentives vary by season, number of cruises booked, commission rates, etc.

As such, agents benefit by steering their customers to particular cruise lines or voyages.

Do not forget the FREE CRUISE FOR 2 in a great room with OBC and free drinks:eek:

Some TA's do push certain lines, and as others have mentioned, some absolutely refuse to book certain lines. However, if you have a good TA, they may give you feedback on a particular cruise line based on personal experience, but will still book you on that cruise line if that is what you want. Sounds like your TA is being a little pushy.

Dancin85,

Your TA should have clear and darn good reasons to prefer one cruise line over another. If your TA knows your familial circumstances, lifestyle preferences, each cruise line's unique offerings, your price range etc. then take your TA's advice.

If they can't offer you very clear reasons why they feel one cruise line is better for you than another, then find another TA.

Cheers!

HTP

If I'm posting something I shouldn't, I apologize in advance....Dancin85

I know Travel Agents can't be named here but this just a general question....I think.

Since early spring, I've been dealing with the same TA. We have a cruise out of San Juan booked for December 2015.

I'm looking into booking a short 4-5 cruise for this December.

DH has never cruised so this will be his maiden voyage. He's a landlubber :rolleyes:

When I called my TA and asked her to get me a quote for xxxxx, she said "Sure but you really should think about cruising with yyyy instead."

Today, the same thing...I sent an email saying I was 99% sure that xxxx was the cruise line and itinerary we had decided on.

Her reply was telling me the reasons I should reconsider and go with yyyy.

Back to my original question?

The travel agent should be looking out for your best interest. Unfortunately, in some cases the TA is more interested in their commission than in your best interest.

Do TA have an incentive to push certain cruise lines? YES.

Some cruise lines will offer a bigger commission to TA that reach a certain threshold. So yes, there is an incentive to push that cruise line.

However, you need to find out why the TA is pushing the other cruise line. The TA may have a legitimate reason for doing. You always have the option of coming here and verifying what the TA says. Of course, there are those on Cruise Critic that push their favorite cruise line no matter what. So you need to take the information that is provided with a grain of salt.