Christmas Day - Port Closed?

Luke Saint Joe

Carnival Dream is scheduled to be in port of Grand Cayman for Christmas Day. Word out has it that the port is closed on Christmas Day and no ships are permitted to dock. Has anyone ever been on a ship in the port of Grand Cayman on Christmas Day? Also hearing that IF we are in port, Royal Palms will have all facilities closed; however, beach is free & open to the public.

All of the beaches are public, so you could certainly have a beach day! I've never heard of the port being "closed", although, I wouldn't count on stores being open for shopping!

Having cruised over Easter twice, and having nothing open at ports pretty much sucks! I avoid holidays now!

The port is normally closed on Christmas Day. Only one cruise ship has made a visit on Christmas in the last ten years. There are three cruise ships scheduled for a Chirstmas Day visit in 2014. That may be enough to encourage some cruise related businesses in town to open.

The beaches are public, but there are be reduced amenities as some businesses may not open. There may be fewer taxis and buses on the road. For this one day you might want to think about a ship sponsored tour.