Alaska from San Fran

cruisinlover1414

Hello,

Has anyone ever been on the 10 night cruise out of San Fran to Alaska? Next summer it is on the Golden Princess. My family and I are looking at either doing this Alaska cruise, or doing a Princess cruise out of Seattle. What do you recommend? We have never been on Princess, but have been on cruises through RCCL and Carnival.

Any reviews on the Golden Princess or the Ruby Princess(the ship out of Seattle)?

Thank you!

Has anyone ever been on the 10 night cruise out of San Fran to Alaska? Next summer it is on the Golden Princess. My family and I are looking at either doing this Alaska cruise, or doing a Princess cruise out of Seattle. What do you recommend? We have never been on Princess, but have been on cruises through RCCL and Carnival.

I've been on 3 rt Alaska cruises on Princess out of San Francisco (note: we who live here generally don't call The City "San Fran," I guess unlike you folks in San Antone). So obviously my hubby and I like 'em. A lot. But, y'know, what do you want to know? Whether you'll enjoy Alaska? Whether you'll like Seattle more than San Francisco? Whether you'll enjoy the extra sea days on a San Francisco sailing? Without knowing a single thing about you, what you enjoy doing, or what you want out of a cruise, it's supremely difficult to come up with anything useful. Sorry.

Though I will say that if the Allure/Oasis are your ideas of the ideal ship, neither the Ruby nor Golden is anything like them.

Edited by shepp

We've sailed both the Golden and Emerald (sister to the Ruby) and enjoyed them both. Golden is a tad older but we though she was in good shape and didn't have any complaints. Greatly enjoy the dining on Princess and the International Cafe is open 24/7 for nibbles. For Alaska we always have a balcony because you never know when something wonderful (scenery or critter) might be there. Princess offers some great programs for Alaska, with the on-board naturalist providing commentary, and the Park Service Rangers that board the ship in Glacier Bay(DO get an itinerary that includes this). Also, Libby Riddles will board the ship when it's docked in Juneau and does a terrific presentation about being the first woman musher to win the Iditarod.

We sailed out of Seattle once and enjoyed seeing the San Juans and the brief stop in Victoria on the way back, but usually go back-go-back out of Vancouver on the Coral so we can in the middle of gorgeous scenery right out of the dock. However, if we got a good deal on a Seattle cruise I'd happily snap it up.

Either choice you make I hope you enjoy your Alaska experience - it's our favorite cruise!

Edited by LoriPhil

My family and I are looking at either doing this Alaska cruise, or doing a Princess cruise out of Seattle. What do you recommend?
Like shepp said, for me the main questions would be: Do I want 7 days or 10 days, knowing that the extra days are sea days (some love those, some find them boring)? Do I want to do pre- or post-cruise in San Francisco or Seattle (both great cities but very different)?

Have done both sailing out of San Francisco and Seattle. Loved having a longer cruise with sea days. Enjoy the excitement of the city.

So question is have you been to either city? If never in either, then I would

leave from San Francisco. If you have been there, try Seattle, also nice.

Have been on both ships and whatever choice you will make, you'll like the ship.Go in at least a day early to enjoy the city.

For me it is less expensive to fly into SF., another reason to look at where to cruise.

We took the Grand from San Fransisco in June 2013. We flew in to SF a couple of days early so that we could enjoy the city including a tour out to Muir Woods to see the great Sequoia Trees Which was a lifetime dream for DDad.

It was a wonderful trip although it began to feel a bit long by that last sea day on the way back to dock. My parents had taken a 7 day Alaska cruise out of Seattle on a different line and enjoyed it as well.

As others have mentioned, it basically will come down to two main factors:

1. Which city would you rather see? (Sequoia Trees or the Space

Needle)

2. Will additional sea days be fun or boring?

If you really enjoy cruising, the 10 day might be the way to go. If you cruise as a means to visit several ports in one trip, you may prefer the 7 day.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask!

My first cruise ever was 10-day out of San Francisco to Alaska -- AWESOME. I will say that I didn't think I would enjoy the sea days but they were great. A real chance to relax and do nothing (and not feel as though you should be). We were on the Sea Princess - which is a smaller ship (or so I am told) so there wasn't a lot of sea-day activities. So if you need to be enterained, that's a consideration. We loved it. Did I say Awesome yet!?

I pretty much agree with what the others said.

I did like sailing from SF, we sailed from Vancouver before, and plan another SF departure.

I love the Golden. Have sailed on her once, and are booked again in a couple of weeks. We are booked on the Ruby to Hawaii in 2016.

I just recently sailed on the Crown, which , I believe, is like the Ruby.

While there was nothing wrong with it, I just like the Golden better.

Just a matter of taste, but you can't go wrong whichever ship.

Pat

Edited by sassyredhat

We have done both - 10 round trip San Francisco and 7 day round trip Seattle twice. We loved all 3 of these cruises!:) We have also been there by road 3 times spending over 5 months up there.

If you have never been to Alaska, are not cruising for the sea days, and do not have an unlimited amount of money then spend the difference in the cost of the cruise on excursions in Alaska. Make sure to take those that get you away from the ports were you will see more of the "real" Alaska.

I don't know anything about cruises out of San Fran, but I can highly recommend an Alaska cruise out of San Francisco:). I've done it once and have another booked for next July; can't wait. Love the extra sea day(s).

We have done one Alaska cruise from Vancouver, on Diamond Princess, and one from San Francisco, on Sea Princess. If I tell you we are booked on Golden from San Francisco to Alaska next year you'll know which one we prefer.

a) We just love San Francisco. Our favorite USA city by far. Now been there 7 times. Just a different atmosphere from any other city.

b) Love sea days. Always something to do, if you want to. And sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a thrill you will never forget.

The choice is yours but we would recommend as above.

Pete

We've cruised Alaska on a 7-day from Seattle and a 10-day from San Francisco. We loved them both.

If you have the time 10 beats 7. Plus we love sea days (although between SF and Alaska and back it can sometimes be a little rough).

Check total cost (including travel) per night to see what's the best value. And also compare the ports (most may be the same) plus which glacier cruising locations. For a first-time Alaska cruise most - including us - totally recommend Glacier Bay.

But whichever you choose relax and enjoy - they'll both be wonderful!

San Fran for sure and 10 days is ALWAYS better than 7! Even better go with Celebrity on Infinity from Frisco and make it 12 days!

SheriffJoe: Thanks! I have a pleasant smile, right now, after reading "San Fran" and "Frisco".

My Dad was a Marine in World War II, and he returned alive and in one piece, in 1945. He returned via San Francisco. He and other Marines called it Frisco. I realize that calling it San Francisco is polite and PC, but my feeling is that if some of the 1945 Marines called it Frisco, then it is fine by me:)

As for the cruise, I think that sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a great lifetime experience:). The Golden Gate Bridge should be a part of the consideration:)

Please know that cruising from Seattle is very convenient, a nice experience.

There are lots of flights to/from Seattle, and the Princess operation in Seattle is excellent. They really have it down to a science, here. Excellent and smooth embarkation/disembarkation/transfers. Southwest and some other airlines work with Princess for EZ Check baggage, for the return home. Consider Seattle if convenience and smooth operations are important to you.

The seas are usually nice and calm when sailing from Seattle.

SheriffJoe: Thanks! I have a pleasant smile' date=' right now, after reading "San Fran" and "Frisco".

My Dad was a Marine in World War II, and he returned alive and in one piece, in 1945. He returned via San Francisco. He and other Marines called it Frisco. I realize that calling it San Francisco is polite and PC, but my feeling is that if some of the 1945 Marines called it Frisco, then it is fine by me:)

As for the cruise, I think that sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is a great lifetime experience:). The Golden Gate Bridge should be a part of the consideration:)[/quote']

I should add that the Marines also liked sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge, especially on the return trip, in 1945:) :) :)

I've been on 3 rt Alaska cruises on Princess out of San Francisco (note: we who live here generally don't call The City "San Fran," I guess unlike you folks in San Antone).
:D

I agree that it really depends on what one is looking for in a cruise. Princess ships are all comparable in decor, quality and offerings. Ruby Princess is a larger ship with more passengers - for that reason alone I would prefer Golden Princess.

Do you like sea days? Do you not mind some possibly rough seas? Do you look for itineraries that are slightly different in ports/times due to the extended voyage? Can you do 10 days instead of 7? Then San Francisco is the way to go. If you want only a couple of sea days, calmer seas and the standard Alaska itinerary, then choose Seattle.

The choices are there so you can find the one that suits you best.

And sailing under the bridge (actually the entire departure from the Bay) is great and the part to be sure not to miss (so don't get busy unpacking, exploring the ship inside, etc.).

The return is usually very early morning, it is more likely to be foggy/misty, and your mind is on the cruise being over versus the excitement of the start of the cruise...

I live about an hour south of SF and we just call it "The City". I do admit to cringing, just a bit, when I hear San Fran or Frisco. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is quite spectacular!

Thanks for saying it so nicely. Very understandable.

Our first cruise was a 10 day SF / AK round trip on Sea Princess. This was the cruise that got us hooked. We plan to repeat it as it was a great cruise. This is a cruise that is easy to recommend. :D

Edited by Thrak

Some may cringe at the use of Frisco or San Fran. I cringe at "The City." How special.

I might as well start calling my town of 2,000 "The Center of the Universe."

P.S.: If I could afford the extra money, I'd go out of San Francisco. Longer is better, and it's actually a pretty nice place.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Some may cringe at the use of Frisco or San Fran. I cringe at "The City." How special.

This is a common thing for people who live in suburban areas around large cities. It's easier than saying "the large metropolitan area near where I live." :)

I might as well start calling my town of 2,000 "The Center of the Universe."

I married an Oregonian. I know full well that it is the center of the universe. :)

P.S.: If I could afford the extra money, I'd go out of San Francisco. Longer is better, and it's actually a pretty nice place.

Jim

On this point, I agree. :)

This is a common thing for people who live in suburban areas around large cities. It's easier than saying "the large metropolitan area near where I live." :)

I married an Oregonian. I know full well that it is the center of the universe. :)

On this point, I agree. :)

I'm 90 miles away and even I call it The City, even tho this city where I've lived for 40+ years has several hundred thousand peoples residing.

Edited by Treven

Using the terms San Fran or Frisco would hardly be the same thing as using some of the other words you were mentioning. Goodness.

Yes, but it's not "politically correct" to call people what they want to be called. Same with the place they live. It's simply good manners