Theme Nights

Len Baker

We are on our first P&O cruise in January 2015 & have some queries regarding theme nights.

If the theme night is 60's and 70's can you wear faded denim shirts and jeans to comply with the style? We are thinking that it would be acceptable as smart casual is the alternative. (see P&O FAQ information below).

"On a night where the theme is 60's & 70's and the Dress Code is Evening Casual, you are welcome to dress in 60's & 70's style clothing to enhance the ambience, however smart casual dress would be the appropriate alternative."

We booked about 12 months ago & there was An Oriana Dress Code Schedule online which I cannot find now. I do have a copy but don't know if it will change. Will P&O provide details prior to sailing? This issue also affects pre-booking a speciality restaurant, which we can do at present, as if we did not want to book on formal nights when will we be informed of the schedule?

I hope you can help.

Len

I have found on pando that no one really bothers to dress up for the theme nights at all.

Black/white night will always be on a formal night and on that night the majority of people will be in either black or white. That is the only one that people usually bother with.

Very many thanks english lady. Mrs Len would murder me if we were the only ones in fancy dress.

Len

The Hawaiian theme has always been well supported on my trips, more so by the men though as a shirt is easy to buy. They even had them for sale on board on my last one.

Thank you PurpleMoonlight. I was thinking along the same lines. I shall pack my Caribbean shirt. Any ideas for Mrs Len?

........Black/white night will always be on a formal night and on that night the majority of people will be in either black or white. That is the only one that people usually bother with.

Except my wife, who split the zip on her black & white dress on our cruise and had to wear blue instead.

Being the perfect gentleman, I remarked to her that the dress must have shrunk at the dry cleaners :cool:

We are on our first P&O cruise in January 2015 & have some queries regarding theme nights.

If the theme night is 60's and 70's can you wear faded denim shirts and jeans to comply with the style? We are thinking that it would be acceptable as smart casual is the alternative. (see P&O FAQ information below).

"On a night where the theme is 60's & 70's and the Dress Code is Evening Casual, you are welcome to dress in 60's & 70's style clothing to enhance the ambience, however smart casual dress would be the appropriate alternative."

We booked about 12 months ago & there was An Oriana Dress Code Schedule online which I cannot find now. I do have a copy but don't know if it will change. Will P&O provide details prior to sailing? This issue also affects pre-booking a speciality restaurant, which we can do at present, as if we did not want to book on formal nights when will we be informed of the schedule?

I hope you can help.

Len

You can wear whatever you consider to be from the 60s and 70s, remember those decades encompass a myriad of styles. I should know, I'm old.

Mod or Rocker, Hippy or conventional, street or high class.

So, considering my wife, she might wear a kaftan, a slim fitting shift dress or what we call her Audrey Hepburn dress.

Eta, OP, don't be afraid to do your own thing and, perhaps, be the envy of the rest who will look at you and say,

"Why didn't we think to dress like that".

It's all about having fun and enjoyment.

Edited by Turbofun

I would say that on all the P&O cruises we have been on people do observe the theme for the Black and White Formal evening. Certainly in the Caribbean many people do dress up for the Tropical Evening - men in brightly coloured tropical shirts and the women in brightly coloured things - I have often worn a pair of white trousers with a vibrant pink kaftan top - that sort of thing. The evening that, in my experience, very few people dress up for is the 60s and 70s evening. Usually only the Entertainment staff dress up for that, plus a very few passengers. Maybe some passengers go and change after dinner to go up to the 60s/70s disco which, in warmer climates, is held on deck, otherwise in one of the inside venues.

Same here... lots of black and white on that night, but on 60s/70s nights I have only ever seen the Entertainments Team dressed up.

I agree. On my recent Azura cruise very few people dressed for the theme nights. Flowery garlands were given to all at dinner on tropical night.

I found that the theme nights were poorly adhered to even by P & O. Eg the buffet 'special' was not in line with the theme, neither was the video wall in The Planet Bar, nor the cocktail of the day (which by the way, is no longer at a special price!), or the theatre show; the 'Boogie Show' which screamed out 60s and 70s was on a different night than the relevant themed night.