Fall color?

Recent travelers to Eastern Canada/New England - Any fall colors yet? I'm guessing it has been too warm for extensive leaf coloring, but I hope I am wrong.

Definitely fall colors happening. The drought has caused colors to start early down in MA. ME is at peak and past peak already. Here is a link for ME.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/report/index.shtml

Not too sure about Canada but I would guess peak or past peak based on how far it is along in areas to the south.

I will know next week are we are sailing NE/Canada next week too. Extended forecast looking like rain though.:( Hopefully, the forecast is wrong.

Definitely fall colors happening. The drought has caused colors to start early down in MA. ME is at peak and past peak already. Here is a link for ME.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/report/index.shtml

Not too sure about Canada but I would guess peak or past peak based on how far it is along in areas to the south.

I will know next week are we are sailing NE/Canada next week too. Extended forecast looking like rain though.:( Hopefully, the forecast is wrong.

Thanks for the replies, reallyitsmema and NancyRogers1. Happy to hear that we will have the possibility to see some remaining colors. Last time we were here a few years ago, leaves remained green for the entire time. I won't mind some rain - something we haven't seen in Southern California in several months.

Recent travelers to Eastern Canada/New England - Any fall colors yet? I'm guessing it has been too warm for extensive leaf coloring, but I hope I am wrong.

Here is a link to a "live" foliage map for this year:

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

I live in New Hampshire, about 40 miles north of Boston and 40 miles inland from the NH seacoast. I'm seeing lots of vivid reds and oranges, but it looks like peak is a week away. Peak should be spectacular.

Temps have been bouncing around during the day: 60s to even 80s recently; several nights here have been in the high 30s.

When will you be in port? If it is soon there are no worries about seeing colors. I live here, and the colors this year are stunning. Any questions I would be happy to answer, sure hope the weather is great when your here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a link to a "live" foliage map for this year:

http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/

I live in New Hampshire, about 40 miles north of Boston and 40 miles inland from the NH seacoast. I'm seeing lots of vivid reds and oranges, but it looks like peak is a week away. Peak should be spectacular.

Temps have been bouncing around during the day: 60s to even 80s recently; several nights here have been in the high 30s.

Thanks for the link! Happy to hear about the spectacular colors. We will be in Boston Oct. 14. I like the sound of those night time temps! Thanks.

When will you be in port? If it is soon there are no worries about seeing colors. I live here, and the colors this year are stunning. Any questions I would be happy to answer, sure hope the weather is great when your here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our Canadian ports are Halifax, Sydney, St. John, NB, Charlottetown and Quebec City. If you have good color in Newfoundland, I'm guessing it will be good southwest of there. Thanks for the reply!

I live in Saint John, NB....colours were early this year and will be past peak next week.

I'm not sure what "past peak" means - is it a total lack of color? Anyway, we will find plenty to enjoy in Saint John - Old City Market, St. Martins, the falls...maybe even some Moosehead!

Sorry about that.....you will definitely see colour . There will be lots of yellows still but some of the more vibrant bright reds and oranges will no longer be present and some of the trees, especially if we have strong wind and rain, may be bare.

It is still an absolutely beautiful time of year and you will enjoy the city. I would highly recommend a walk around the old city including the market, king square and the old loyalist burial ground.

If you have any other questions, i will help if I can.

Edited by mcgratru

Sorry about that.....you will definitely see colour . There will be lots of yellows still but some of the more vibrant bright reds and oranges will no longer be present and some of the trees, especially if we have strong wind and rain, may be bare.

It is still an absolutely beautiful time of year and you will enjoy the city. I would highly recommend a walk around the old city including the market, king square and the old loyalist burial ground.

If you have any other questions, i will help if I can.

Thank you for that, Mcgratru. Can one walk from downtown to the Reversing

Rapids? If not, is there easy public transportation? Is it worth the time and effort? Thanks!

Yes. You can walk. There is a path to follow that goes all around the Harbour (called Harbour Passage). It is probably a mile in total length. There are also buses, cabs and cruise specific buses.

As for whether it is worth it , that depends on timing. It is certainly impressive to see the river reverse but that only happens as the tide is coming in and is more impressive during higher tides.

Saint John does not have a big downtown area so it is pretty easy to get around.

Edited by mcgratru

I just drove from Nova Scotia through Quebec to Ottawa. The leaves are at their peak in Quebec now I would say.

Northern Nova Scotia, especially Cape Breton may be at peak next week. The further north you go the later the leaves change, but everywhere seems to be early this year.