Cooler question

cruzinlisa

I looked at the restrictions on coolers but did not see this particular thing addressed. Do coolers have to be the collapsible kind? We have a soft cooler but its not collapsible, it has an insert like a hard shell inside. If that makes sense. Is that allowable? If not, we have one of those cooler/freezer type of bags from Walmart that we use for frozen food, which I guess we could bring, but I feel like the cooler would hold ice better.

Sounds like the one I have. It is right at the 12x12x12 mark, and has a shoulder strap. I've taken it on a few cruises with no problem. I just pack my sodas in it (no ice) and carry it on. It goes through the xray, and sometimes they check the sodas. Only issue is that it is a bit heavy and annoying to have to carry for the first couple hours until cabins are ready.

Since it's a soft sided cooler with an insert, take it apart and pack it in your suitcase.

I don't know if it can be taken apart. I am not sure if its an insert. I just know the inside is hard plastic, to hold shape. The outside is that vinylish material like soft coolers are.

I will try to post a picture of a similar one. Its like this, but a different Tigers team (obviously...)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-18-Can-Soft-Sided-Cooler-Memphis-Tigers/16622315

We don't want to carry a cooler on with us, so I bought one of these from our local Sam's club. That way I can fold it and pack it in the suitcase and just use it while on and off the ship.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/high-performance-thermal-tote/prod4400012.ip?navAction=

Edited by jennmaybe

How about a mesh cooler which is over the size limit but completely soft and could collapse to be quite small. It looks like a beach bag but is insulated. No hard solid part to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ours sounds just like yours. Hard plastic inside & soft outside. We never had any trouble. It worked better than just soft side as the water did not run through and make a mess.

Our room steward was very nice and filled it with ice each morning and night :)

Ours sounds just like yours. Hard plastic inside & soft outside. We never had any trouble. It worked better than just soft side as the water did not run through and make a mess.

Our room steward was very nice and filled it with ice each morning and night :)

Do you carry it on? Seems bulky to pack. I use one Carnival gave as a gift and it did fine for several cruises then started to drip all over so I kept it on the floor of the shower. I lined it with a plastic bag like hotels have for ice buckets and it didn't mess up anything.

I have one of the ones with liners so I might take that. I travel solo and just want to keep carry ons to a minimum.

Do you carry it on? Seems bulky to pack. I use one Carnival gave as a gift and it did fine for several cruises then started to drip all over so I kept it on the floor of the shower. I lined it with a plastic bag like hotels have for ice buckets and it didn't mess up anything.

I have one of the ones with liners so I might take that. I travel solo and just want to keep carry ons to a minimum.

I pack items in mine and carry it on...such as, wine, soft drinks, hats:D...the list varies. I do utilize the space/

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I bought the beer pack with a cooler though carnival before we left from their website. It was in our room when we got on the ship with 4 beers. Room steward kept it filled with ice everyday. We had the carnival cheers card and always got a few extra beers before we went to bed each night. When we went to half moon cay hubby took the cooler full of beer with us and we didn't have to buy drinks while we were there. It was perfect.

OP, your cooler is fine. As long as it is 12x12x12 or smaller, you will have no problems. Mine is exactly like that. I love the plastic liner because it does not sweat and leak all over the place like the collapsible coolers.

Totally agree- collapsible with seams inside tend to leak.

We are fortunate to have solid inside soft side, but plastic liner type would be great option.

I don't know if it can be taken apart. I am not sure if its an insert. I just know the inside is hard plastic, to hold shape. The outside is that vinylish material like soft coolers are.

I will try to post a picture of a similar one. Its like this, but a different Tigers team (obviously...)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-18-Can-Soft-Sided-Cooler-Memphis-Tigers/16622315

The hard liner on that particular one is removable, per the description.

So why bring a cooler? Do you take it to pool area? Or just leave it in the room?

I was thinking about doing this earlier in my planning but with a fridge in the room -why?

What am I missing?

some ships don't have fridges.

and even those that do often don't get very cold, or very cold fast enough. If you want to keep a few beers cold, etc. In the cabin the cooler is often a better option.

you can also request a bucket of ice from the steward or bring one back from a bar and steward will keep it iced

This is what works for us. I have a 12x12x12 soft cooler that we take. It packs flat and fits in one of our suitcases. I take a gallon size heavy duty zip lock bag that I fill with ice and put in the cooler. The zip lock bag contains the melting ice and keeps the leaking down to a minimum. In the cabin, I keep the cooler on a towel in case there is any leaking.

some ships don't have fridges.

and even those that do often don't get very cold, or very cold fast enough. If you want to keep a few beers cold, etc. In the cabin the cooler is often a better option.

you can also request a bucket of ice from the steward or bring one back from a bar and steward will keep it iced

This. No fridge in our room.

So why bring a cooler? Do you take it to pool area? Or just leave it in the room?

I was thinking about doing this earlier in my planning but with a fridge in the room -why?

What am I missing?

Keep in mind, that "if" there is a refrigerator in room, you will have to take all items out and store in a cabinet. Nut most important the refrigerator is not that cold. It can keep canned/bottled items relatively cool, but don't count on keeping milk,a piece of cheesecake food safe temp. It varies by ship, just a caution thing.

What am I missing?

I bring a hard sided cooler that's just under 12x12x12. I put 8 beer cans in it before bed and wake up with very cold beer the next day.