Viking Var Cabin Location

retiredmom

We are considering a river cruise in May on Viking Var looking at veranda cabins. Does location of cabin make a difference? Is rear of ship noisier than other areas?

We just got back from a Viking river cruise. We were not on the Var, but on the Njord. Both are longships and are the same. We had a veranda cabin on the middle deck (203). We were located very close to the reception area and I liked the fact that we were not at the very end of the hallway. The veranda cabins on the upper deck are more expensive but are exactly the same as those on the middle deck. Feel free to email me (email below) with any other questions.

Just my 2 cents...

The advantage to be further down the hall (higher numbers) is that there are less people passing by your cabin, but indeed a longer walk. The lower your number the closer to the main reception area but a lot of traffic passing by.

As far as cabin categories, I personally don't think the cost for a French balcony nor veranda cabin is worth it unless you never plan to leave your room. I reluctantly chose a water level cabin and now I am so glad I did. I had no problem at with that cabin. The window shelf gave us great storage space and decent light.

We slept and showered in the cabin and that's about it. You're hardly ever in the room.

JMHO...

I disagree with you about location. We chose a French balcony and were glad we were not on the aquarium level. We loved the fact that we could watch the rivers go by while we were in the cabin and the light was lovely at all times. I would not have gone to the French balcony level because at that point you want to be on the sun deck, but the fact that every moment that you are in your room, you can be aware of your surroundings is just wonderful. That is just our opinion of course. I also love the idea of being awake at night and seeing the landscape go by particularly on a night with a full moon. We had the last French balcony on the second floor, room 236 and we loved it because we could just take the stairs up to the sun deck, which were right next to us and not have to take the long way there. It was quiet without the ceiling noise that the third floor experiences from people running and walking on the sun deck and motor noise that the aquarium class sometimes has. This, of course, is just our personal opinion. I would select cabin 236 next time.

Ti

We just returned from a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise on Lif, a Longship.

We were very glad we had a french balcony....one couple in our group was on the lower level and was happy but said on our next trip they would opt for French Balcony.. so nice in the evening as we got ready for dinner to have a view!!!! Our first night laying in bed with the door open watching the lights on the chain bridge and Buda was an amazing introduction to what became an incredible 2 week journey!!! Thanks, Viking!

I was very worried about rafting....we NEVER had another boat outside our window for more than 2 hours in Budapest. The starboard side of the ship did a couple of times. We were lucky!

If it matters I think the father aft your cabin is located the worse Internet connection will be.

We had a French balcony on the Idun last Fall and we very happy with it. We were a little past mid-ship on the middle deck. Not too far a walk to the dining room, and no engine or upper deck noise.

True, we were not in the cabin that much, but the few occasions that we opened the curtains and the glass door, it was wonderful to see the river sights go by and feel the fresh air.

The best time was the morning we arrived in Budapest and my wife opened the drapes and there was the Hungarian Parliament building filling our view bigger than life. I have never seen her get so excited about seeing a building. It filled our view and was breathtaking to see up close from the river.

I would definitely try to book a similar room/location the next time.