Plug oulet beside bed

Marlster

I would think there is an outlet on both sides of the bed inside cabin on ships. My husband has a sleep apnia machine that needs a plug beside the bed, can anyone tell me if they are there. I am taking for granted they are because of the lamps on either side of the bed, but need it confirmed, thanks. Marlster

There has never been a plug beside the bed on any of my cruises. The closest plug is usually on the desk/dresser across the room. Ships have extension cords but don't rely on that - bring your own. We run the cord from the sleep apnea machine to the nearest plug. On one cruise our room steward taped the extension cord to the floor so we wouldn't trip but on most cruises my husband unplugs it and puts it away each morning. If your machine has a water tank you supposedly can ask for distilled water on the ship. My husband has simply used the tap water and not had any issues. Glad to answer any other questions you have.

St. Louis Sal

The Neptune Suites we have been in (and presumably Pinnacle Suites as Well) do have bedside receptacles. Our last balcony cabin did not necessitating a diagonal extension cord run across the floor to the desk area. This seemed stupid as the area above the bed was festooned with unneeded lighting controls that were awkward to reach in any case.

Make sure you bring a long cord as our 16 footer barely reached what with wrapping around the bed and all. As more and more people bring CPAPs on board this is a problem they will have to address.

There has never been a plug beside the bed on any of my cruises. The closest plug is usually on the desk/dresser across the room. Ships have extension cords but don't rely on that - bring your own. We run the cord from the sleep apnea machine to the nearest plug. On one cruise our room steward taped the extension cord to the floor so we wouldn't trip but on most cruises my husband unplugs it and puts it away each morning. If your machine has a water tank you supposedly can ask for distilled water on the ship. My husband has simply used the tap water and not had any issues. Glad to answer any other questions you have.

St. Louis Sal

Is the distilled water free? How long extension cord do you take? Thanks. Marlster

Is the distilled water free? How long extension cord do you take? Thanks. Marlster

I always pack a 12 foot extension cord for any trips we take. Make sure it is at least 14 gauge wire in the cord, particularly if going to Europe. That way, you ca use it safely in a 240 volt outlet with an adaptor.

As to distilled water, the tap water coming out in your cabin is distilled in the ship and can safely be used in a CPAP machine. They may give you a bottle for free, but it is not necessary.

If you pre-order the distilled water ( ship services) it will be waiting in your room at the cost of $4 per gallon. It is not provided free of charge. :eek:

You are correct! I just learned this yesterday when I e:mailed my PCC that I would like a gallon in my cabin. He called me and transferred me to Ship Services to take care of the order. They said it had to be ordered in advance ... be sure to have your credit card ready. I was not expecting FREE - but I thought they could have just added it to my shipboard account upon boarding.

We bought a travel CPAP. It is SO much smaller and lighter than the home model. Ours runs on a lithium battery - no more concerns about outlets and extension cords draped around the room. It easily recharges on the desk while we are out and about during the day.

One thing that was really nice about our Oceania cabin was that there are outlets on both sides of the bed. It would be nice if HAL does the same with their new build.

This was on Carnival, so your mileage may vary. When my reservation was made through my sister, she told them I had a cpap machine. Upon checking aboard the machine set off a sound and a flashing light. I thought I had done something wrong. They told me I was "special circumstances", and I should go to the customer service desk. I had never heard of this, nor had my sister, a very frequent cruiser.

I showed up and asked them what my special circumstance was. They said, "You have a cpap machine." They then surprised me. They asked if I needed an extension cord and distilled water. Both were provided free of charge, and brought to our room, no charge.

As a bonus, they also told me that the next time I cruised that Special Circumstance categorization allowed me to board early, so be sure to take advantage of it.

This was on Carnival, so your mileage may vary.

On HAL, your mileage will vary a full 180º.

You must either bring your own, or ask for an, extension cord. If you want distilled water, you must request that in advance, and pay for it. Needing to use a CPAP does not get you priority boarding, or any other special treatment.

On HAL, your mileage will vary a full 180º.

You must either bring your own, or ask for an, extension cord. If you want distilled water, you must request that in advance, and pay for it. Needing to use a CPAP does not get you priority boarding, or any other special treatment.

That would be a real shock to go from the Carnival "special treatment" to sailing HAL with a CPAP. :eek:

A couple of things I've experienced with the CPAP. The ship board water is not the same as distilled, but you can use it in your machine if you rinse out the container and replace the water fresh every day.

The airlines don't like the lithium batteries, and may relieve you of it if they find it. I have a lithium battery that I use as a back up in case of power outage, but I pack the extension cord. To be safe, you want a total of about 20 ft between your machine cords and the extension. That will cover every class of cabin.

As has been said before, you want a good quality three prong extension, not a lamp cord. They aren't that expensive, and the one I have has lasted for over fifteen years.

Sleep well!;)

What is the brand on your travel rechargeable cpap? Did you purchase or get from provider. This would be helpful for us. Thank you
We bought the Z1 Travel CPAP (link). The lithium batteries are approved for not only flying (carry on, not checked) but also for use above 10,000 ft. The owners manual has the form citing (FAA?) government approval.

We have some overnight flights coming up. Our airline's website requested notifying them of planned CPAP use during the flight. When I called, I was transferred to the medical department and it couldn't have been easier. I had the form for the lithium battery, model number, anything we could think of that would be needed by them. She made note of the record locator for our reservation and made sure we were aware of the above 10,000-ft limitation. That was it. She didn't want any of the documentation we had ready. Oh, we also talked about how (despite what the website says) batteries for much longer (3 hrs?) than the flight time wouldn't be needed, as the CPAP would only be used when sleeping. Still, easy peasy.