Airline Carry On Bag Sizes

armwinder

Might be worth checking your carry on bag size. Airlines including Air Canada are now checking sizes at check in. Our 22" bag would not fit, it measures 23" with wheels and handles. West Jet max size is 21" therefore we have to purchase new bags. Take note most luggage companies quote the inside dimensions when advertising bags, airlines measure the outside.

I agree with the baggage rules been enforced, some folks have really large carry on luggage that resemble a suitcase rather than an overnight bag leaving little room in the overheads for the rest of us.

"There's a general rule by IATA stating that an individual piece should not exceed length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (46 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). The sum of these three should also not exceed 45 in (110 cm). Count all the external parts, such as wheels, in."

US domestic flights seem to be less regulated. :)

I actually brought my own tape measure with me last time I went shopping for a carryon on. Salesgirl looked at me like I was crazy - insisting all the luggage was carryon compliant - not so - as mentioned - you need to take wheels/handles into account.

I agree that the quoted dimensions on the manufacturer's tags are not always accurate!

Edited by Froufie

I bought a new roll aboard suitcase due to the revised sizing. Many years ago I worked for a large carrier and the dimensions were 23x13x9. I read about the change when frequent travelers started to get charged (and they had been traveling for years with the same bag). If ordering online, read the sizing carefully!

Sent from my iPad using Forums