Hi, I’m Julie McCoy, Your TR Director Review of the CB

jenseib

Nice shots. I liked the "artsy" ones of the pier and ship. We usually walk through the plaza area because we have no idea where to go from there. It seemed to have some different or additional stores in September than the last time we were there. We've been going on the Eastern itinerary.

I would send you some of my photos if I knew how to do it!! We stopped by the little band on the corner area, and sat in a restaurant by Fat Tuesdays. And, I had my picture taken with a couple of "statue people". LOL.

I look forward to your escapades very much. Thank you!

Merry Christmas!! Lynne

I think some new stores were there and some were taken out as well. I do think the last time I was there it was some sort of holiday there so not everything was open either.

Next time in Costa Maya your should check out Maya Chan an all inclusive beach day. They limit the number of guest to around 50, food excellent and the day very relaxing.

I have heard of a few places to try, but we are not big beach people. If I had my daughter maybe, but for Mom and I that wasn't a draw at all. I like to be on the move more. I do enjoy a little beach time here and there though.

16063707695_55c482ccf5_z.jpg

15441405754_d6a7508f55_z.jpg

I was getting hungry so I stopped for a donut.

15876257948_cf4ce05c9f_z.jpg

I then headed back to the room to meet up with my Mom.

This sign was out to show people how to find the gangway.

16061763521_9f95f9e311_z.jpg

We lazed around in the room a bit and then decided to get breakfast before heading off the ship. Our favorite couple…the one who I swear did not know each other were sitting at the table next to us and of course we listened in. LOL!!!

The guy was telling the lady how he has taken his family on Disney Cruise Line before but he wasn’t impressed with it. Right there he got a bad rating from me. LOL! ....Ok, not really, I know it’s not for everyone, but the things that didn’t impress him were kind of dumb.

Anyways, we ordered our breakfast and I got Steak and eggs today.

15880591820_6f8aace6a2_z.jpg

15881789349_839195f4e4_z.jpg

I laughed about the tomato. I once read a TR from a Diser who had sailed RCCL and she said she had a grilled tomato with every meal. It must be a European thing? I don’t know, but I do know around these parts, a grilled tomato for breakfast is just odd.

After breakfast we stopped off to use the bathroom and I took a picture, which turned into a selfie.

15448211263_4498ed6a18_z.jpg

We gathered our things and got ready to head off the ship.

15882114287_2447205a12_z.jpg

It was quiet in the atrium today.

16067877385_eacbecb76e_z.jpg

Mom wondered why people were already coming back and I reminded her that the port just isn’t that great.

15441405124_de1bfe783c_z.jpg

They were sprucing up the ship when we got off.

15445525664_43c4496a2b_z.jpg

15448161343_5fe938c33b_z.jpg

I thought this was a neat picture.

15880390588_7d881cf327_z.jpg

Good thing to note.

15882063557_511b109c4b_z.jpg

It was already extremely hot! We decided to walk instead of the tram though so I could turn around and take pictures of the ship.

15614270316_a8cd4eb191_z.jpg

Here comes the tram.

16042034786_98b20a0158_z.jpg

Over this way is the dolphin swim area. I must say I feel bad for the dolphins…it’s not that great…but I did notice it had improved since the last time I was here 2 years ago.

15880540760_d16e0f9b33_z.jpg

15890456389_4c60def66d_z.jpg

There's a lot more to do at Costa Maya than stay at the plaza. I think it's probably a mistake to rate a port based on its plaza at the pier. We've actually had some fun port days at Costa Maya. At least take a cab over to Majahaul and walk around there. Even if you don't like the beach, the people watching is great. :)

We're really going to have to indulge ourselves sometime. We went to Costa Maya before it was built up to what is now, and it was an okay time. But, we rarely stray from the port area because we don't invest in excursions or extra trips. We have once or twice. I remember going out of the armed gate behind the Belize shopping area and mingling with the vendors back there. I even got my picture taken with an "Indian Chief", LOL. He shared with me, after the $2 photo op, that he was trying to put his daughter through college. :)

We did buy a couple of necklaces, then, but didn't venture into the actual streets, where some others did and discovered art galleries and other neat things. When we re-entered the shopping compound, we had to go through a preferred gate and through tight security.

Costa Maya is okay for a couple of retired folks like us. There were a couple of places to sit down for a "preferred beverage" and relax. (and people watch).

Lynne

We are thinking of sailing on the Caribbean princess for 5 days during my boys spring break (ages 4 and 6) did you get a chance to peak in the kids club? Also what were the bikes and scooter looking thing hanging on the glass railing a few pages back?

Thanks! I'm trying to gage if this ship would be good for my family. We are sailing on the disney fantasy in May but was hoping to get a little trip in for spring break before than and were offered a really good deal on the Caribbean princess.

There's a lot more to do at Costa Maya than stay at the plaza. I think it's probably a mistake to rate a port based on its plaza at the pier. We've actually had some fun port days at Costa Maya. At least take a cab over to Majahaul and walk around there. Even if you don't like the beach, the people watching is great. :)

That is very true, however for me there was nothing of interest in the town either. But thats just us. I had friends that went to town and they were not impressed at all and another friend who took a tour with DCL and had their bus held up at gun point (And she has sailed over 50 cruises, so she is a very seasoned cruiser)....soo it just doesn't seem like a safe port to me either. And with all the armed guards it really did kind of scare me to go outside of the gates. Maybe someday I will try something else, but I just have no desire to go back to that particular port of call if I can help it.

That being said ...I have probably had fun at ports that others do not like. I know many don't care for Nassau, but I have always had a good time there myself with the activities we have done.

We're really going to have to indulge ourselves sometime. We went to Costa Maya before it was built up to what is now, and it was an okay time. But, we rarely stray from the port area because we don't invest in excursions or extra trips. We have once or twice. I remember going out of the armed gate behind the Belize shopping area and mingling with the vendors back there. I even got my picture taken with an "Indian Chief", LOL. He shared with me, after the $2 photo op, that he was trying to put his daughter through college. :)

We did buy a couple of necklaces, then, but didn't venture into the actual streets, where some others did and discovered art galleries and other neat things. When we re-entered the shopping compound, we had to go through a preferred gate and through tight security.

Costa Maya is okay for a couple of retired folks like us. There were a couple of places to sit down for a "preferred beverage" and relax. (and people watch).

Lynne

Yeah the whole armed guard thing kind of spooks me a bit.

It was also so dang hot that day that it was hard to be inspired to do much.

We are thinking of sailing on the Caribbean princess for 5 days during my boys spring break (ages 4 and 6) did you get a chance to peak in the kids club? Also what were the bikes and scooter looking thing hanging on the glass railing a few pages back?

Thanks! I'm trying to gage if this ship would be good for my family. We are sailing on the disney fantasy in May but was hoping to get a little trip in for spring break before than and were offered a really good deal on the Caribbean princess.

I did not. I wanted to, but just never thought about going at the right time and then I just never had a chance to the rest of the cruise to go peek.

I believe the bikes and scooters were the outside play area for the clubs though I never saw anyone playing on them...but I wasn't in the area when they would be either. I didn't see a lot of kids on this cruise for the most part either, but it could've been the time of year. I did see a Crew member with some kids one evening eating near the burger place.

I do think you could have a nice time as a family on this ship though, especially if you get a good deal. But I would not compare it to Disney. It is a very different atmosphere. Much more relaxed as well.

I continued to snap pictures along the way.

15889264880_3d39f9bd0f_z.jpg

16074615261_a94ce93d2c_z.jpg

The plaza entrance.

16076546995_bd01eee869_z.jpg

Once you enter there are a ton of little shops. In true Mexico fashion they start to hound you to buy their junk.

16074614011_2310aefde3_z.jpg

I personally can’t stand the constant hounding. If I say no, then don’t ask me 10 more times. I don’t know why they think this is a good business practice unless they think we will buy just to shut them up. It has the opposite effect on me and I will walk by instead of buying. I steel myself when walking through there.

Mom found that I was good with that and before she would buy anything she would ask me what I thought and most times I got her price down a bit.

15454243864_8dbd52b48b_z.jpg

16076545315_516ee27c99_z.jpg

I have no clue why this was there but it made for a good picture.

16074612731_fd615e6c5f_z.jpg

16074612351_0e58584f8f_z.jpg

We went in a few stores and browsed around. I ended up buying a couple of magnets and a maraca for Claire. Mom bought a top and some things for Claire and my nieces. I think she bought a dress as well. We looked in the jewelry places as well but she couldn’t stand the people following her every move.

15890776657_65724fc5fe_z.jpg

The plaza has a pool that anyone can use. It didn’t seem very busy today but when I had come here on a Disney cruise it was a big attraction for many families.

16074611661_0c807f549e_z.jpg

16074611421_e6154f8b4c_z.jpg

16075838342_127919cfe1_z.jpg

Edited by jenseib

15456875363_39eb1785de_z.jpg

We went out to the beachy area and I took a few pictures of the ship and area. Now this beach area does not actually have access to the water and you cannot swim here.

15779284346_7ebcbb6e08_z.jpg

The area in the foreground is the dolphin swim area. I just have to say it really is not that nice at all.

16074610691_41e3d0d2b8_z.jpg

There were some dolphins swimming and at least they looked sort of happy, but I don’t speak dolphin, so I couldn’t ask.

15889259600_2e55bc6f18_z.jpg

This is Senor Frogs.

16075837292_317c4e181d_z.jpg

16050738206_737f4a2a87_z.jpg

I heard someone griping about the prices there. They just had 1 drink each (I think 4 at the table) and with the tip it was quite high. But I have been to Senor Frogs at different locations before and I knew the prices were pretty high already, so I didn’t take too much out of their complaints. It’s a tourist spot and they know they are popular so if you want to eat or drink there you will pay the price to do so.

Loungers set up in the beach area.

15617774127_4ee4524e43_z.jpg

15890774477_5c5af1cc1a_z.jpg

We parked our rears on 2 loungers and I took a few pictures and then I looked to see if I could get wifi on my phone.

16050737536_cc49399b53_z.jpg

Lo and behold there was free guest wifi. Not the greatest but it worked enough for me. I had sent my MIL an email the day before and she responded so I sent another one too her and said hello to Claire (whom she was helping watch).

15896582240_832b854d65_z.jpg

I checked emails and messaged some friends on facebook.

This seaweed type stuff was all over the place.

15896581950_fce47df131_z.jpg

15461562694_5016e417a4_z.jpg

15461562464_bb85565aa8_z.jpg

We were in Senor Frogs in Cozumel several years ago and recall that it was upstairs. There was also a store attached to it. Yes, we did buy a T-shirt!! :) I was also in the line of dancers as part of an audience participation game. That was fun back then.

We have been buy there since then, and actually went in to sit down at a table on the main floor (Carlos and Charlie's? )...but Trevor wasn't hungry so we left. I didn't notice that one of the waiters I remembered was still there. He looked like an older version of Barry Manilow-back then.

We've also been in Senor Frogs in Puerto Rico. Three or four ships diverted there because of Tropical Disturbance Alpha in 2005 so the place was really crowded. Yes, the cost is tourist rated--pretty high. It was very loud. We also found another one on one of our travels but at the time we were there, the place was pretty deserted.

The combined restaurants always tend to be a tourist destination, but now Margaritaville is right up there with them.

Lynne (It's island weather here today in Central Florida-79 in the house with everything open and the sun is shining brightly.)

We were in Senor Frogs in Cozumel several years ago and recall that it was upstairs. There was also a store attached to it. Yes, we did buy a T-shirt!! :) I was also in the line of dancers as part of an audience participation game. That was fun back then.

We have been buy there since then, and actually went in to sit down at a table on the main floor (Carlos and Charlie's? )...but Trevor wasn't hungry so we left. I didn't notice that one of the waiters I remembered was still there. He looked like an older version of Barry Manilow-back then.

We've also been in Senor Frogs in Puerto Rico. Three or four ships diverted there because of Tropical Disturbance Alpha in 2005 so the place was really crowded. Yes, the cost is tourist rated--pretty high. It was very loud. We also found another one on one of our travels but at the time we were there, the place was pretty deserted.

The combined restaurants always tend to be a tourist destination, but now Margaritaville is right up there with them.

Lynne (It's island weather here today in Central Florida-79 in the house with everything open and the sun is shining brightly.)

I visited that one in 2012 too. And many many years ago another one in Cozumel that is no longer there. I think it was right at the dock...the old dock that a hurricane took out.

It was a really hot day. Extremely hot. We just relaxed and talked a bit. A bird flew overhead.

15896431318_a766d089eb_z.jpg

There was an older couple who sat at some chairs nearby and a waiter came to take drink orders. They told the guy that they would be sitting there all day and to keep them coming. LOL!

Mom couldn’t imagine why anyone would want to sit in a hot lounger all day drinking here. Like I said, we’re not beach type people, and not big drinkers either for the most part, so for us it wasn’t fun, but I know for many that is pure relaxation.

After I finished up with emails and took care of any important things that needed to be done….like posting a few pictures to facebook…..we decided to head off. It was just too hot for us.

15804528342_fe068a4a5f_z.jpg

Outside the plaza they had some entertainment.

15802949815_6b40398317_z.jpg

I took some pictures with both my phone and my camera and tried to post the phone pics to facebook and found out that as soon as you walked outside the plaza the wifi was gone, so after taking a few I went back inside and loaded them to facebook as quick as I could.

15183504853_c97cc37048_z.jpg

15182994954_d373b07289_z.jpg

15466015694_7a6a1459b0_z.jpg

15901046310_e7f124dd33_z.jpg

15902231279_6c7b3d816a_z.jpg

16088335065_c2a066c179_z.jpg

Once back on the ship we went back to the room to cool off a bit and then searched for lunch.

We went to Horizon Court and got a few things. I ran into JJ there and we talked a few minutes about our time on shore. It sounds like they found some good deals. And to be fair, the few things we bought were good deals as well.

I didn’t think the choices were that great today and I picked up a few things to try.

15449256234_57550e4fe9_z.jpg

The pink thing was disgusting and the cake was just OK. We both only picked at our food and ate bits of this and that.

15885470269_6a254aea87_z.jpg

I decided that instead of trying to eat more here I would just go find a burger and Mom decided that sounded good too. So we headed out on deck and ordered burgers and fries.

15885793247_8ba4371bd0_z.jpg

The fries were fabulous, my burger was a little cold, but ok. Mom’s was fresher and fabulous. I should’ve just gone and got another one but I didn’t.

We had some plans for the afternoon. Malificent was playing in the theatre. Mom and I both have seen the movie before, but we both really liked it so we decided we would love to see it again.

We headed to the theatre a little early and found some seats. Not many people were in there, which was fine with us. I noticed that the seats all had a little pull out table so I took a picture of that.

15451893423_8d059ebc22_z.jpg

The showed Princess cruise options on the screen while we waited.

16071554365_8876d06ef6_z.jpg

See what I mean…the place is practically empty.

16069631221_527c7fed97_z.jpg

They movie started and we enjoyed it once again. It was nice and cool in there as well. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Yes, I recognized that tall red building in the Costa Maya area, and that pool in the middle. There was a production that started and the dancers kind of did a conga around it way back when.... There are always lots of jewelry stores in those places, and T-shirt shops. The first or second photo you showed looked like the store we went in and learned that they didn't set the prices, the cruise ship company did. We didn't buy what we wanted there, but saw the same things in the little store by the Cozumel pier.

Speaking of that, yes, the Senor Frogs was right across the street from the pier in Cozumel that was destroyed. That white building at the end of the pier was the duty free shop we had to go through, and that's where we bought our little bobble head animals. This last cruise we were at the one further up that also has a plaza area before getting out to the street-(Cozumel) The Paradise was at the old one. But, we haven't been in Costa Maya for awhile because the ship stopped in Grand Cayman.

Thanks for the photos! They give me lots of memories.

Lynne

Yes, I recognized that tall red building in the Costa Maya area, and that pool in the middle. There was a production that started and the dancers kind of did a conga around it way back when.... There are always lots of jewelry stores in those places, and T-shirt shops. The first or second photo you showed looked like the store we went in and learned that they didn't set the prices, the cruise ship company did. We didn't buy what we wanted there, but saw the same things in the little store by the Cozumel pier.

Speaking of that, yes, the Senor Frogs was right across the street from the pier in Cozumel that was destroyed. That white building at the end of the pier was the duty free shop we had to go through, and that's where we bought our little bobble head animals. This last cruise we were at the one further up that also has a plaza area before getting out to the street-(Cozumel) The Paradise was at the old one. But, we haven't been in Costa Maya for awhile because the ship stopped in Grand Cayman.

Thanks for the photos! They give me lots of memories.

Lynne

That white building wasn't even there the last time I was at that pier in Cozumel. It was completely different those many years ago. Last trip we were at a pier further down with DCL. It was closer to a lot of the town stuff too.

I was thinking we went to Senoir Frogs that trip...but I think it was Margaritaville...I need to go look at my pictures. LOL.

I can't believe that the Royal/Regal don't have those pull out trays in the Princess theater anymore! What were they thinking? :eek: :(

They are nice to have. I wonder why they did away with them?