Just off the phone with NCL RE: HURRICANE GONZALO

bbryan5

I work in shipping, and as a result of a slow day, I just popped open my distance tables! Using typical routing, NYC to Boston is 414 nautical miles, so at 18kts that would be 0.94 days.

Using the same tables, NYC to Nassau is 963nm (2.23 days), and Boston to Nassau is 1,184nm (2.74 days) so another half day at sea, or you would have to speed up to 22kts to make up the difference, so the costs may not would likely be a major factor for the cruise line.

Either way I hope you're able to have a great cruise, so much planning goes into them, to have a wrench thrown in the gears this late is not easy. Safe travels!

Looks like my guesstimate of 250 nm more wasn't bad for using a sheet of notebook paper and a National Geographic map. ;)

Even though we will miss Gonzalo in Bermuda, will there be power, buses, taxis? I am starting to wish for the Bahamas.

My heart goes out to the people of Bermuda....God keep you all safe...

Your question can't be answered until the hurricane has passed.

Edited by ComeOnLetsGo

The best part was our ship was docked next to the Norwegian Gem. Their ship didn't set enough lines to hold the ship with the wind and their ship broke free and hit our ship. Luckily no one was hurt and as there was no damage to our ship our departure was delayed only an hour. There was a dent the size of a car on the back of their ship. The Captain went on the speaker to say we would be delayed because he had to get out exchange insurance cards and that when we left we would be travel a safe distance from them.

My Grandmother was scheduled to get on the gem the day we returned so it was funny to call her and say her ship hit our ship. She then call Norwegian right away who didn't know about it yet. It was all pretty funny and makes for a good story.

So with a hurricane coming just relax knowing someone is getting drinking water and you're getting a good story. The best stories never happen when everything goes right.

You have a strange sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Very possible, but will there be power, buses, taxis?

^This is the issue. The issue isn't us running into the storm in Bermuda. Looking at the radar and timing of the storm, it appears that we would have no problem dodging the storm. The whole point is, what type of shape will Bermuda be in. First, and foremost, I wish the people of Bermuda luck with this, I hope everyone remains safe. I really hope we end up in Florida/Bahamas, and not Canada. Time will tell...

Edited by bbryan5

^This is the issue. The issue isn't us running into the storm in Bermuda. Looking at the radar and timing of the storm, it appears that we would have no problem dodging the storm. The whole point is, what type of shape will Bermuda be in. First, and foremost, I wish the people of Bermuda luck with this, I hope everyone remains safe. I really hope we end up in Florida/Bahamas, and not Canada. Time will tell...

I refuse to pack for Canada...I will be the middle aged woman shivering by the pool if we do go north!! :eek:

The last time a category 3 Hurricane impacted Bermuda was in 2003, Fabian, and the Island suffered $300 million in damage...

see this :

Unless the Dockyard is damaged, I would really think the ship will call on Bermuda...but like many have said, the shape of the Island is more of a concern :(

Yesterday was not windy at all. A bit cool here and there but the day was actually very nice.

At the moment I posted that it was very windy at the Dockyard, the palm trees and the wind noise from the cam were obvious sings...

I am glad the rest of the day was nice, you deserve a bit of rest from mother nature before an other storm :(

Okay, hubby and I made an executive decision and are only packing for warm weather. Each of us will have a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt.

I always take jeans and a sweatshirt, the ships can get chilly at night in the theaters!

Here's hoping Bermuda makes out ok with the storm!

I refuse to pack for Canada...I will be the middle aged woman shivering by the pool if we do go north!! :eek:

I am pretty sure that the cruise line will take you to warmer weather since thats what people paid for. Why would they choose Canada when the storm is coming north? It is likely you will do the Florida, Bahama, Private island run but since your leaving out of Boston and not NYC, maybe they will have to take one stop out.

Happy sailing and I hope you get to lounge at the pool.

Gonzalo is now a category 4 Hurricane and is 640 miles from Bermuda

The hurricane is said to be at 45nm from Bermuda at it's closest at noon on Friday.

From NHC : "HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 35 MILES ( 30nm )...55 KM...FROM

THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 115

MILES...185 KM. "

Here is the latest :

<a href=gonzalo5_zps11b3a7f1.jpg' alt='gonzalo5_

Edited by sebas030

Bermuda is my favorite place to visit. I have been there by one ship or another every year for the last seven. We were there this year September 8th and 9th. Bermuda is a small piece of heaven here on earth. My prayers are with all of you. Hope your are all safe and your lovely island stands strong.