Drone- Prohibited Item List Update!

Zarabear

Back in February, my husband took his drone quadcopter and FPV setup on our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Miracle.

To our dismay, as we began packing up for our trip this Saturday on the same ship to Hawaii, Drones were now on the prohibited item list! I contacted a cruise director on facebook who confirmed it, but decided in one last ditch effort that I would email a couple of higher up VPs that I had found on the boards. I received a wonderful reply back from Vicky:

I have spoken to our VP of Security Services and they will be removing “drones” from the prohibited items list. So the good news is you can bring your quadcopter on the ship but will have to safely store it in your stateroom until you debark to visit the islands. Thanks for understanding that it cannot be used while on the vessel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you and your husband on board and wish you a Fun and Memorable cruise!

Vicky

So now my husband is super excited he can take his setup and have a blast in Hawaii! Thought I'd share!

~Zara

It's quite an accomplishment when a person can get a large corporation to see the error of their ways. Kudos to you! :)

Errors of their ways?

As I read Carnivals response, drones are still prohibited to be used "On" the ship. However, you can use the ship to transport your drone to be used on land at your destination port.

klfrodo is correct, but they were on the prohibited items list (and are still listed) as not even being allowed on board. Only an idiot, and yes there are many, would attempt to fly a quad drone on a cruise ship. The wind, and speed of the boat is detrimental to any attempt to do so. xD That is why we were SO bummed at the new inclusion on that list, in the category of 'to be disposed with prior to boarding' not even confiscation with return at the end!

I am beyond thrilled with the response I received, and am so glad that it didn't fall on deaf ears. We have the printout of the email correspondence and look forward to boarding the Miracle this Saturday. :)

~Zara

Errors of their ways?

As I read Carnivals response, drones are still prohibited to be used "On" the ship. However, you can use the ship to transport your drone to be used on land at your destination port.

My point is it was wrong for the drones to be on the prohibited list (for use off ship) in the first place which is the error that was corrected.

Edited by sanmarcosman

My point is it was wrong for the drones to be on the prohibited list (for use off ship) in the first place which is the error that was corrected.

You're correct.

I don't think the original intent was meant to prohibit transportation. I believe the original intent was to prohibit people from flying these on the ship while in port and under way. Which were the original questions posted on this forum earlier this year.

I agree in that Carnival could have been more clear in their written policy.

klfrodo is correct, but they were on the prohibited items list (and are still listed) as not even being allowed on board. Only an idiot, and yes there are many, would attempt to fly a quad drone on a cruise ship. The wind, and speed of the boat is detrimental to any attempt to do so. xD That is why we were SO bummed at the new inclusion on that list, in the category of 'to be disposed with prior to boarding' not even confiscation with return at the end!

I am beyond thrilled with the response I received, and am so glad that it didn't fall on deaf ears. We have the printout of the email correspondence and look forward to boarding the Miracle this Saturday. :)

~Zara

I still don't know if I would take it with you or not. Just because this VP told you you could does not mean that the screeners at the terminal have gotten the memo and may confiscate it. Things don't always get passed down the ladder. Just look at all of the different things that have been written on the cheers program. One person interprets it one way and another does it differently.

I would think the head of security would make the call as to what is prohibited.

There are all kinds of idiots and I would love to see a drone launched from a moving ship, get out of range, and return to the GPS coordinates where it took off from. :eek:

If you take them to foreign countries, no telling what their laws are concerning such things. They might become target practice.

Gotcha, thanks :)

How were you able to post a video on this site? Not the link, but the actual video.

Cruise Critic's Community Manager was kind enough to install the vBulletin YouTube embedded video BBCode plugin not too long ago.

[ youtube ] ID after v= [ /youtube ]

Remove the spaces in the BBCode tags.

Edited by Disconnections

The screeners sure don't get everything. On our August 30th cruise, they missed our dive knife, which has an 8-inch-long blade. It's the first time it's been missed, but then we had to decide what to do. We didn't need to use it on our dives off the ship, but we had brought it for after the cruise when we were flying to Fiji. So, we hid it in the closet until it was time to pack to disembark.

How could they have missed a knife that big and dangerous? That's never happened before, and we always pack it where they should be able to see it on the screen easily. Oh yeah, they also missed all our rumrunners. ;)

Funny you should ask:

Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length and Drone Cameras. These items must be stored in stateroom.

xD