Transatlantic Sep 2015

We are looking at doing a transatlantic next year, Harwich - Boston. Has anyone done this? What is the weather like on sea days? How rocky does the ship get on the many days at sea? Cabin selection - is it better to have an inside deck 2-3? Or is a balcony actually a nice idea?

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic.

I've done a westbound TA in an inside room on Adventure, deck 6, out of Southampton to San Juan (November). Our first port of call was Funchal, Madeira (2 sea days later) and by then we were in T-shirt climes. No rocky days at all.

I've not had a low deck on a ship yet..... I would say that if you can get an Oceanview you might be more comfortable.... it's a long crossing.... depends on how sociable you're feeling to see daylight..... :)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

No one can predict what the weather will be like on a transatlantic. About ten years ago, on the Rotterdam, we ran into a hurricane and lost power on the ship. This was in September. We've done transatlantics in the spring and fall. Usually, we've had nice weather. I do enjoy a balcony but depends on the price. I find we don't use a balcony, on a transatlantic, as much as when we sail in the Caribbean.

We usually book a port side balcony on a westbound transatlantic. More sun.

I did the TA from Harwich to Boston on the Brilliance of the Seas. We left August 31-Sept 13. It is a cool weather cruise. We were not able to use the outside pool deck until the day before we arrived in Boston.

It is not possible to tell what the weather will be before hand, but, it was much different than the TA we took last year that took a more southern route. That cruise got warmer each day as Norbert's Niece mentioned. This cruise did not.

In Le Harve, I wore a short sleeve shirt/capri pants. It was sunny and pleasant. 70's

In Portland, England and Cobh, Ireland I wore a long sleeve shirt and had a jacket I used in the morning. 50'-60's

In the Faroe Islands I used my jacket most of the day. 50's--but, it was damp and some rain

In Iceland it was rainy and cool/cold [and windy]. I had on a sweater under my rain jacket, gloves and a fleece headband. I was glad I had all of that.

We purchased new Coleman waterproof jackets before we left home. We were SO GLAD we did.

We loved the TA. It was one of the most interesting trips we have taken. [we spent 3.5 days in London pre-cruise and loved that too!!] But, it was not warm.

PS--We really only had one day of rocking. But, that varies on every cruise.

I did this cruise in 2013. Our weather was a bit warmer, particularly in England, France, and Ireland. I took an inside guarantee and ended up in 2015, which I loved. I'd never been anywhere near deck 2 before, but this was great on a radiance class ship. It was a short walk to the elevators where you could see outside. The Centrum on deck 4 was the epicenter of activity on the ship and it was a quick two flights up. The deck 2 hallway is short and very quiet.