Questions about Alaska land+sea cruise and future cruise deposits

sakana

We bought a future cruise deposit on our last cruise. It's the first time we've done so. Now, we're looking at the 11 day double Denali cruise (cruise first) for our 15th anniversary next May. We're considering booking a signature suite, too. Holland's offering Explore 4 for bookings right now and my question is, if I book the cruise, will I receive both the 300 dollar per suite cabin credit offered by Explore 4 AND the 100 dollar pp credit offered by the future cruise deposit for 10+ day trips? Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

Also, what can anyone tell me about this land+sea cruise? Are the land accommodations good? Do you get better land accommodations if you book suite level on the cruise? How's the train ride? Are yours more personable or are they cast hearts of cruisers following a bouncing flag? How are the signature suites on the Oosterdam?

Lastly, at 2399+tax and charges, is this cruise a good value, or should I wait and book closer to the date? I think we'll get real value out of the Explore 4 beverage package.

Thanks for your replies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We bought a future cruise deposit on our last cruise. It's the first time we've done so. Now, we're looking at the 11 day double Denali cruise (cruise first) for our 15th anniversary next May. We're considering booking a signature suite, too. Holland's offering Explore 4 for bookings right now and my question is, if I book the cruise, will I receive both the 300 dollar per suite cabin credit offered by Explore 4 AND the 100 dollar pp credit offered by the future cruise deposit for 10+ day trips? Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

Also, what can anyone tell me about this land+sea cruise? Are the land accommodations good? Do you get better land accommodations if you book suite level on the cruise? How's the train ride? Are yours more personable or are they cast hearts of cruisers following a bouncing flag? How are the signature suites on the Oosterdam?

Lastly, at 2399+tax and charges, is this cruise a good value, or should I wait and book closer to the date? I think we'll get real value out of the Explore 4 beverage package.

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, you will get both OBCs ($300 suite OBC and $100 pp/FCD), as long as you book a suite. I believe the suite offer ends soon, like the end of October but don't quote me on that. The Explore4 supposedly also ends at the end of October, too. If the pricing is within your budget, I would book now. There is no guarantee that HAL will bring back the free Signature Beverage Package in another incarnation in the future. If you think you will get value out of it now, I would book now. You can also watch for price drops and contact HAL prior to final payment to have your cruise refared (although it could be a different ball game with a Land/Sea itinerary). Just be aware that the Explore4 benefits may be lost in the event of a price drop. If you quantify the E4 benefits that you think you will use, you can decide, at the time, if the price drop is worth losing those benefits.

I can't answer your questions about the Double Denali tour. I did a different Land/Sea tour years ago so it's not relevant. I don't think booking a suite on the ship has an impact on the Land portion but I don't know for sure. My guess is that you might get a higher level of accommodation at Denali. The rest of the tour should be the same for everyone, regardless of cabin category booked.

We did this tour this past summer except did the tour first. I don't believe the land accommodations have any correlation to the category on the ship. We were excited to receive and accept a upsell to one of the Pinnacle Suites but the Anchorage hotel was a very standard room (adequate but nothing out of the ordinary) and the room at the Denali Lodge was nicer but again nothing to compare to the luxury of the PS on board. Here's a link to my LONG review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069069

I'd be glad to answer specific questions.

We just returned from Alaska on a land and sea cruise. We started in Fairbanks then on to Denali, Anchorage and finally Seward to pick up the ship. Our only mistake is we only did one day in Denali, two is a great idea as there is much to see. The lodging in Fairbanks was at the Westmark Hotel, very nice. In Denali you stay at the McKinley Lodge Chalet, now owned by HAL. It was nice but it is a "chalet" very rustic but clean and nice. In Anchorage we stayed at the Captain Cook, also very nice room and accomodations.

You will travel by bus to Denali, about 4 hours. Then from Denali to Anchorage by HAL train, very nice but a long day, 8 hours. A lot of scenery but we saw no wildlife. From Anchorage to Seward you travel by Alaska RR, about 5 hours. This leg was fantastic, many glaciers and a lot to see, much better than the 8 hour trip.

We sailed the Statendam to Vancouver stopping at Haines, Glacier Bay, Juneau and finally Ketchikan, wonderful trip. We also stayed an extra day on each end to allow for relaxation. I would recommend doing the land portion first since it is pretty hectic and busy, then you can unpack and relax on the ship. The other comment I would make is that May is a bit cooler than August when we went. We did the first cruise in May in 2012 roundtrip Seattle and it was cool. In August I wore shorts at least twice, weather was great.

Regardless Alaska is beautiful.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies and especially the review!

After a lot of hemming and hawing, we finally decided on the cruise-first double Denali cruise on the Oosterdam. As mentioned, it makes sense to do land first in a lot of ways, I think, but that option just didn't work for us in terms of dates. So, we're taking Amtrak to Vancouver on May 9th, staying one night at the Pan Pacific Canada Place (thanks Hotwire!), then boarding our cruise in a signature suite (cabin 8088 if anyone knows it and can comment), and flying home on Alaska Air on the 20th.

I feel like we got a pretty good deal. 2399pp fare with 250.00pp cruise credit, the signature beverage package, dinner at the Pinnacle and Canaletto, and just the 200 pre-paid future cruise credit deposit required.

This should be a special anniversary, I think!

• 1 month later...

Hello Sakana,

I feel like I have found a friend. We got hooked on the same deal. We do the cruise first + 2 days in Denali as well. We are celebrating my husband's 70th. We always wanted to go to AK so this should give us a good overview. We are adding 2 nights in the Seward area along with the Kenai Fjords Tour. We are planning to rent a car in Anchorage at the end of the HAL tour for 3 full days of exploration on the peninsula. We won't meet up with you as our embark date is May 24. Please keep us up to date on your adventures. So far we have booked Harv and Marv Whale Watching in Juneau and have reserved a car in Skagway, possibly to do the White Pass Drive.

We have only cruised once before on the relatively smaller Celebrity Expedition to the Galapagos. This will be a whole new experience for us.

Hope you have as much fun as we expect.

Edited by rastawoman

Sakana - be aware that Denali National Park's shuttle busses don't start running until the very end of May/beginning of June, so you won't really get into the park - which is the whole point of going to Denali. You will be spending a lot of time on trains and/or busses getting there with no real pay-off, which is the jackpot of wildlife and scenery in Denali National Park touring. I'd suggest visting DNP website to check on the anticipated park road opening for 2015 and if you can and are willing, perhaps change your cruise tour date to later in May, which may then get you actually into the park. It would such a shame to spend all the money and time anticipating the true Denali experience only to be disappointed once you get there. You might also want to check out the Alaska Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic for more valuable information about visiting Alaska.

Good luck in your planning, and do enjoy Alaska. It is one place that has totally stolen my heart - I just keep going back again and again!:p