Payment with E-Gift Card

HollandAvery

I just had a quick question about payment options.

I know it says you can pay your cruise fare balance with a Mastercard/Visa/Discover gift card, but what if I have one of those e-gift cards instead of the actual thing to hold in my hand?

I know this question may seem really silly, but when I tried to use one on a different website a long time ago they wouldn't accept it. But then I read they don't accept the gift cards period...so anyway, do you think this will be something I will be able to use to pay off my cruise?

I can request to get an actual card instead of just an online code or whatever, but it would take up to another month to receive it in the mail.

(I'm getting the money from doing an online research study, so that's why I can pick between an E-gift card and an actual one)

Gift cards are NOT what you want to use, even if they're accepted (and most places won't take them). If you have a gift card with the MC/Visa logo, your bank can cash it out...and that's the best thing to do. Simply deposit into your own account, and send them a check!

Edited by cb at sea

Gift cards are NOT what you want to use, even if they're accepted (and most places won't take them). If you have a gift card with the MC/Visa logo, your bank can cash it out...and that's the best thing to do. Simply deposit into your own account, and send them a check!

Well it might be a Discover...I don't remember what they told me...but why is it a bad idea to use a gift card? It would only pay about $300 of the cruise and I'd still have more to go that I'd pay on the CC.

I guess I can try to cash it at my bank if it happens to be a Visa or MC.

I used an e-gift card last week to book my cruise. It was from Verizon. I called and spoke with my PVP, provided him with the e-gift card number, and it was done. Painless.

I'm wondering why the other poster said not to use them, hmm...

Thank you for providing your experience using one! I might call my PVP planner when I get the card/code if I need to.

I paid my cruise off with various gift cards. Three $100 gift cards from a rewards program through my school. They were Discover. The remainder with 4 different Carnival e-gift cards. I just called Carnival and they had all 7 of them applied to my account in about 10 minutes. Very painless.

I paid my cruise off with various gift cards. Three $100 gift cards from a rewards program through my school. They were Discover. The remainder with 4 different Carnival e-gift cards. I just called Carnival and they had all 7 of them applied to my account in about 10 minutes. Very painless.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm glad you were able to use them all! Looks like I'll be safe to use my e-gift card afterall. I'm glad it doesn't have to be a Carnival e-gift card.

I have used a prepaid card before with no problem. Just make sure you register it online that way it has your name and address connected to it. Then it can be used for anything, even online purchases. It's only when there's no billing address associated with the card that there are potential for issues. Carnival gift cards excepted. Just used some of those too. Gotta love that 10% Father's Day promotion from earlier in the year!

Thank you for your reply!

I'm glad you were able to use them all! Looks like I'll be safe to use my e-gift card afterall. I'm glad it doesn't have to be a Carnival e-gift card.

The only word of caution I would have is if you have a price drop, be very careful. For one of my price drops, they tried to credit the Discover gift card. I guess they thought it was my credit card. I caught it in time and they were able to reverse it and just give me onboard credit.

Otherwise, everything was fine. I just read off the number over the phone and that was it. That was in August BTW.

I am wondering what would happen if you used a gift card to pay on your cruise, and ended up cancelling. Can it be returned to the gift card. The reason I question this is I tried to return some merchandise that I had put on a gift card. It would not credit back to the card.

It was not a large amount, and the store ended up giving me cash.

Claudia