Kona Rental driving to VNP or Aleeka Falls

syr101

Has anyone rented a car and drove to either of these places. The next day we are in Hilo and will be leaving at 5pm for a 5 night cruise to Vancouver and don't want the hassle of getting back to the ship on time. It seems like it would be a fun adventure driving 2 hours, hiking a few hours and then driving back to Kona.

How long are you in port for in Kona?

I think Akaka Falls is more than 2 hours from Kailua Kona (google maps usually underestimates the drive times.) If you were going there, I would take the northern route and include a few other highlights along the way.

Since you have 5 days on the ship after Hilo, I would take advantage of that day in Hilo to explore at VNP or Akaka Falls and just aim to get the rental back by 3.

In port in Kona 8-5. If went rent the car from the kama hotel near the dock it would not be a big deal if we plan to be back at 3:30-4pm. We were thinking of doing Mary Lou's tour to VNP in Hilo and not worry about a car in that port. the tour does not include Aleeka that is why we were thinking about going there from Kona.

I don't feel that Akaka Falls on it's own warrants that long of a drive. Instead, I would explore the Kohala Coast (some nice beaches along that coast if you wanted to stop for a swim), stop in Hawi for lunch, then the Pololu Valley overlook. Your could do the short hike down to the beach at Pololu (not a good swimming beach, but great scenery). Then drive back down Kohala Mountain road ... lots of great scenery on that whole route, and you won't have to cover as much distance as you would if you go to Akaka Falls ... or worry quite as much about getting back to Kailua Kona by 3:30 or 4. This is the route to Pololu Valley and back.

VNP on your Hilo day is an excellent idea, and if you do it via a tour, you wouldn't have to deal with picking up/dropping off a rental car.

Edited by Susan-M

I live on the Big Island and am in agreement here. Do a VNP tour out of Hilo during your port stop there. Akaka Falls is not worth the drive from Kona. Usually a stop at the falls only takes less than an hour. There are other beautiful waterfalls throughout the islands. I would concentrate on the Kona coast during your day in Kona. The drive up to the Pololu Lookout is beautiful and worth the trip. You could even stop at Hapuna Beach on the way back to the King Kam hotel to return the car and return to the ship. Just keep in mind that the Big Island is big!!