Celebrity falsely advertising inside passage

LMZinSC

OK, thank you very much for the information.

The Grenville Channel surely is a great experience, but I would even be happy about the "normal" Inside Passage between Vanc. Island and mainland.

But there is not the possibility that the ship sails the Pacific, west from Vanc. Island?

The part between Vancouver Island and main land: Will this be passed druing day- or nighttime on northbound cruises?

The only way they would go around is if the channel was closed for some reason.. Just toO far to go. Time and fuel a big issue.

Normally you may see darkness going North except for the odd occasion around the 21 June where daylight and slack tide at the Seymour narrows coincide . The return trip South usually get you daylight most of the way.

Don't get your hopes up if travelling on Celebrity about go "Further inside". It's been years since the captains have been able to slip off into those channels.

Years? :confused: :confused:

I just looked up our last Millennium northbound cruise that traveled up the Grenville Channel.

It was the May 23, 2014 sailing out of Vancouver.

The Master was Captain Konstantinos Patsoulas.

He even made an announcement about how happy they were to be able to take us that way and what a special day it was at the captain's toast from the stage in the theater that night.

.....The returns on the Infinity and Century in the recent past that I have been on have not gone there..
I think they only do it on some of the one-way cruises where they can travel more slowly and have the time to spare, since those have less distance that they need to cover in 7 days than the round trip cruises.

But even then, they can only do it when conditions are right and the captain is willing.

I think they only do it on some of the one-way cruises where they can travel more slowly and have the time to spare, since those have less distance that they need to cover in 7 days than the round trip cruises.

But even then, they can only do it when conditions are right and the captain is willing.

No Captain on my last trips were willing and two said they were not allowed to deviate any more. But like I said those were returns from Vancouver. If they do that on the Millie's one ways that would make the trip for me.

Going North on a one way would certainly deal with any time issues regarding Seymour Narrows etc. I can see how a south bound could be affected by time and tides pretty well all the time. There is a reason why they leave their last port of call usually just after NOON.

Going North on a one way would certainly deal with any time issues regarding Seymour Narrows etc. I can see how a south bound could be affected by time and tides pretty well all the time. There is a reason why they leave their last port of call usually just after NOON.

The tides change every day, so it will vary on each trip.

Of course they do. Lol

But once clear the narrows lots of room to account for the next Port in Alaska and perhaps sail a bit more inside .

South bound not so much room for adjustments having to make a window at the narrows to allow a 7 am (or so) arrival in Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we were on this cruise leaving Seattle on 9/12/14 and we felt very ripped off. There was one specific day we were meant to be "cruising inside passage" according to the ship's own itinerary on the inside page of the Excursion Brochure yet we did not do this.

Officer's responses were inconsistent and not satisfactory.

There were MANY passengers we spoke to who also felt they had been taken for a ride by Celebrity. I feel Celebrity owes all of us a clear and honest explanation as to why they did not honour their own itinerary.

We won't be going back to Celebrity again.

Solstice is a great ship but not well run in our view.

• 6 months later...
Not all Vancouver departures travel that way. There are quite a few ships out of Vancouver that also travel west of Vancouver Island. I've personally seen Princess, Royal, and Celebrity ships all going west of Vancouver Island out of Vancouver. The Solstice in particular is too tall to get under the cables at Seymour Narrows, so the Solstice can never travel the portion of the inside passage between Vancouver Island and mainland BC.

Not true just returned from the Solstice and yes it did go thru the East side of Vancouver Island.

2049636646_2015SolsticeAlaska171.jpg.08e20ab3cad81f642c4ab119b1448346.jpg

I can not comment on the ships other than the Solstice. But it would be very rare for a ship to leave Vancouver and sail to the south to go around the outside of Vancouver Island.

The Clearance on the height of Solstice was adjusted with hydraulics to allow entrance to Vancouver Harbour several seasons ago now. This would have also allowed clearance because of height in relation to Power Cables on that route.