2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Actually, the news story said she actually handled the lab samples, which is why the entire lab was not being monitored. But, you know the news...who knows what the real story is.

I respectfully refuse. It keeps my cruise prices down.

I saw at least one news story that said she was a supervisor, but even if she handled the samples that does not mean she came in contact with the fluids - actual sample to skin contact. That was my point in referencing all the other lab workers who deal with substances as dangerous or more dangerous than Ebola every day and go about their vacation plans unquestioned. But, I agree with you, who knows what the real story is.

I appreciate the levity.

Again, every news report, plus Carnival's statements, make clear that the "patient" exhibits no symptoms of ebola. And, even if the Lab Supervisor handled the test material, which I have not seen reported by the media, she would have been gloved like all lab people are for all tests and have been long before HIV became such a fear. These people know they could be handling dangerous materials and probably wear masks as well. "Ebola isn't as contagious as Hollywood depictions would have you believe. It mostly spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids — vomit, semen, sweat or blood — of someone who is symptomatic and shedding the virus."

If that is true I wonder if they were already aware that this would be the case. I would be surprised if the sailed there without discussions with the Mexican port authority first. If so I would not be surprised if it in fact picked up some CDC experts/ carnival bosses to aid with what must be growing concern among the other passengers and to assist with docking procedures when it gets back.

All your points are valid. I have no argument at all. Just the thought of being in confined spaces causes such anxiety. I know the possibilities are extremely remote. But something about this just scares the heck out of me.

There are always people who worry, and people that don't. They will never understand each other. I prefer the term "unlikely" concerns to irrational. As others have pointed out, there is nothing irrational about being scared, but you need to try and look at this based on "likelihood" not "possibility".

Like firemanbob's wife stated things can happen anywhere, so weigh that into your thoughts. Your concern is not really about cruising, because what you are worried about can happen in other places.

Remember that we now live in a world bombarded by information, so news outlets and online services are constantly having to up the ante on sensationalism. What you are hearing is true, but the language being chosen is exaggerated and meant to scare you, so you will keep tuning in. No one ever got high ratings or record breaking on line views by saying "Here's something impacting .000001% of all Americans". Just look at these forums. Posts that say "Had a great time" or even "Question about Kid's club" will get far fewer views than "Carnival did it to me again" or "Why can't I smoke on my balcony". I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. It's human nature. I see 50 comments on a topic and even if it is something that is not going to effect me in the least, I go read it.

Perhaps you should read up on Ebola before making your decision. This is from the CDC website, so I am confident in its accuracy.

"When an infection does occur in humans, the virus can be spread in several ways to others. Ebola is spread through direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes in, for example, the eyes, nose, or mouth)

with blood or body fluids (including but not limited to urine, saliva, sweat, feces, vomit, breast milk, and semen) of a person who is sick with Ebola

objects (like needles and syringes) that have been contaminated with the virus

infected animals

Ebola is not spread through the air or by water, or in general, by food.

However, in Africa, Ebola may be spread as a result of handling bushmeat (wild animals hunted for food) and contact with infected bats.

There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys, and apes) have shown the ability to become infected with and spread Ebola virus.

Healthcare providers caring for Ebola patients and the family and friends in close contact with Ebola patients are at the highest risk of getting sick because they may come in contact with infected blood or body fluids of sick patients."

If you decide to go:

Wash your hands a lot, and hand sanitize.

Be aware at the buffet of people touching food with their hands and putting it back.

Wash fruit before eating it, unless it wrapped or has a peel (natures wrapping), or is floating in alcohol. Anything in your drink is sterile.

etc. etc.

The same basic things you should do anyways. My wife is a teacher. Like cruise ships, schools are places where illnesses are a concern. She has a list of rules that we follow in all public places. Nothing scary or involving masks, just common sense stuff.

My advice is try to put the very real concern you have into balance. Learn about the realities of the situation. Concentrate on what you can do and control. Then make whatever decision brings you peace of mind. Your last comment makes it sound like you are going to go. So maybe use the time before hand to just put it in perspective and try to relax.

Does Carnival require a health questionnaire to be filled out at port? Is there any thing on the questionnaire that asks if you have been in a medical situation with a potential health risk? I can't imagine the ship would allow that passenger to board with a yes answer, which leads me to think the passenger lied.

Edited by Lars2014

Geez, be sure and don't hold your breath until 1 does!:rolleyes: There have been more deaths by flu because more people contracted the flu. When 250k people contract Ebola, then you can compare the deaths that will ensue. With the correct statistics Ebola will indeed exponentially surpass any due to flu. Many more have survived flu than died from it,...not so with Ebola, in fact according to the CDC, if you contract Ebola you only have a 30% chance of surviving. Not so good...of course that particular stat changes depending on which country you get it in...

One of the reasons flu isn't as deadly as it used to be is that more and more people have been exposed to it and have some immunity.

Unlike flu, currently ebola is not an airborne disease.

Love how I can't get an answer

What was the ships normal

Route?

Leave from Texas

Then where

Then where

INTINARY

Day 1 Galveston, TX

4:00 PM Day 2 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 3 Cozumel, Mexico 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Day 4 Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Day 5 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Day 6 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 7 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 8 Galveston, TX 8:00 AM

Honduras

Belize

Cozumel

Sorry I meant this one:

Day 1 Galveston, TX

4:00 PM Day 2 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 3 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 4 Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Day 5 Belize 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Day 6 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 4:00 PM Day 7 ... Fun Day At Sea --- --- Day 8 Galveston, TX 8:00 AM

Does Carnival require a health questionnaire to be filled out at port? Is there any thing on the questionnaire that asks if you have been in a medical situation with a potential health risk? I can't imagine the ship would allow that passenger to board with a yes answer, which leads me to think the passenger lied.

At no point has it been said that the lab supervisor handled any specimens of Duncan's... nowhere.

Route?

Leave from Texas

Then where

Then where

INTINARY

ShipDatePortOther Ships in PortCarnival Magic Depart: 04:00 PM10/12/2014Galveston, TexasNavigator Of The Seas Depart: 4:30 PM (Dock)

Carnival Magic 10/13/2014At SeaCarnival Magic 10/14/2014At SeaCarnival Magic 07:30 AM - 06:00 PM10/15/2014Roatan, Bay Islands, HondurasCarnival Glory 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Vision Of The Seas 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Dock)

Carnival Magic 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM10/16/2014Belize City, BelizeCarnival Magic 08:00 AM - 04:00 PM10/17/2014Cozumel, MexicoCarnival Liberty - - Storm Deviation

Freedom Of The Seas 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM (Dock)

Allure Of The Seas - - Storm Deviation

Carnival Magic 10/18/2014At SeaCarnival Magic Arrive: 08:00 AM10/19/2014Galveston, TexasNavigator Of The Seas 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Dock)

Edited by rwpneon
bad format

Route?

Leave from Texas

Then where

Then where

INTINARY

Galveston

At Sea

At Sea

Roatan

Belize

Cozumel

At Sea

Galveston

Original schedule was to dock in Cozumel at 8 a.m. today...

You would be very stupid to lie if had a fever or any other signs of this disease, and were in contact with it or even thought you could have. I don't think anyone would take that chance. Getting treatment fast will help greatly with survival rate. if this lady on the cruise had any symptoms she would have been helicoptered off a soon a possible, as that is her only chance of surviving.

A lot of posters are saying people are over-reacting, hysterical, should climb under their beds and hide etc.

Let's face facts here. The ball has been dropped, the US has under-reacted and that's why we're in this situation now. There are only 2 reported cases, right now, of workers who were directly exposed to Eric Duncan. This can potentially snowball into a full-blown epidemic here in the States. We are not prepared and haven't taken the precautions to prevent/contain this horrible disease.

Self-monitoring? What a joke, of course people are going to down-play any symptoms and lie on forms or to the CDC when reporting their daily temps. Open your eyes, this IS happening, it's for real.

I was suppose to leave this Sunday on the Magic. Are they going to cancel? :eek:

Probably not.. By Sunday the lab tech is past the 21 days and if he/she has no symptons/shows no symptons and has no fever, then there is no fear and nothing to worry about...

Have a great time... Oh, and regardless, I bet that cabin will be the cleanest one in the fleet !!!

You would be very stupid to lie if had a fever or any other signs of this disease, and were in contact with it or even thought you could have. I don't think anyone would take that chance. Getting treatment fast will help greatly with survival rate. if this lady on the cruise had any symptoms she would have been helicoptered off a soon a possible, as that is her only chance of surviving.

Where would this hazmat equipped helicopter have come from?

Is their range far enough to have come from a us port?

Belize wouldn't even allow the pax transported via medical transport via their airport

Am I the only one that thinks 2 steps ahead in this crazy world?

Oh and btw I am criticized for my clear thought process all the time

The same people who criticize me are suspiciously silent when I am proven right..... I know this how? I live with them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

from the research I have been doing and the timeline on the persons job and the patient who died in dallas as long as she gets off the ship with no symptoms,which at this point they are saying there are none and with the way it is transmitted there should be no cause for alarm. I hope your cruise goes out as planned as I cruise the sunday after and certainly hope mine does..I am completely comfortable with the research I have been doing that this is not a random virus that I can just catch by being in the same proximity with someone...lets keep our fingers crossed that #1 this person doesn't exhibit any symptoms and escapes this virus ansd then # 2 we get to go on our cruises:cool:

The passenger on Magic is NOT a nurse but a lab worker at the hospital.

Actually, depending on the news source you read... the person is identified as a lab supervisor.... that "may" or "may not" have handled or been exposed to samples from an ebola patient.

Bingo!

Yep

I have 4 of the most Hard working kids around and they are working 2 and 3 jobs at a time and are loved by their bosses

Oh and yes... I give them clear direction as to the type of people and jobs that they will NOT be working for.