2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Which part of my question is inaccurate?

Are you saying nobody was quarantined on the Magic?

Neither you, nor anyone else, including the lab supervisor actually knows whether or not the lab supervisor was actually exposed to the Ebola virus.

Careful reading of the actual new stories would reveal that no one is even sure that the supervisor actually tested or handled Mr Duncan's samples.

In the space of 12 hours this story has gone from:

"Worker from lab that may or may have handled infected samples is aboard Magic"

to

"Two Possible Ebola Patients on Magic"

Your post is a textbook example of such escalation.

Where is the Magic RIGHT NOW!

What port will the Magic return to? I think it is going to be very interesting how they handle this ship once is has docked. Will they quarantine the whole ship until she has tested negative for Ebola? How this is handled is going to tell how real the threat (scare) possibly is.

How come we have not heard from anyone aboard the Magic right now? I think there are a lot of unknowns that we are not even aware of and time will tell how serious this threat will become.

http://www.newyorkcruiseshiptracker.com/

This site shows it still in Belize, but that "ping" is 23 hours old. I could be anywhere between there and Houston.

has anyone been able to confirm this. Belize (you can find this google Belize channel 5 news) claim that they did not let anyone off the ship. Carnival claim they did. UK sky news news also describes that ship was stranded off belize but gives no further details. Someone is not correct. I have tried to find the ship on the coz webcams but can't it also ships own cams are not working (at least not for me). Has anyone got any other info about where it is now. or any links to working cam in coz or on the ship.

The report last night said that a Pilot was onboard and he was being allowed off the ship. If they have no pilot to take them out to sea can they sail anyways?

Head in sand is bad too

Logical knowledgable analysis of the info out there is the best medicine right now

Key word is logical and knowledgable

Severe lack of that not only in our government agency but in posters who joke about this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True....panic will get us nowhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nurses and other health care professionals are NOT stupid. We are around sick and infectious people everyday and then we go out in the world.

Please stop bashing these healthcare workers for living their lives.

Not bashing, but this concept is why 3700 people are stuck, and can not live their lives.

But oh, I have a very special gift for my Brides Maids while we are trying on dresses:(

Hey, Disconnections. You must be viewing cached data. Oasis of the Seas is currently in the middle of the Atlantic heading to FLL.

Having never loaded the webpage for Puerta Maya before in my life, all web traffic is transmitted through incognito windows or TOR and the webcam showing the current time and date for Cozumel, I can assure you it isn't a cached copy on my computer. If anything, it is a broken webcam in Mexico.

http://www.puertamaya.com/webcam.aspx

9a244ff756162da545b5fa9101955ff6.png

Edited by Disconnections

I was actually about to book a cruise. Think I will wait a bit. See how well they enforce their rules on those infected. Especially now that a few hundred have been exposed by the nurse flying on Frontier air WITH a fever! I have no idea where all those peeps are or if they will be getting on a cruise ship next week. Sheesh, what a mess.

Some argue that it is no more contagious than the flu, but the flu doesn't have a 70 % mortality rate.

Plus, if we could possibly stop this from spreading in the US by those exposed just staying home for 3 weeks, that seems like a big perk to me.

This is a lab worker, not someone who came in contact with a patient. Do we expect all lab workers who deal with dangerous biological, chemical or radioactive substances to isolate themselves from the world? All lab workers at all hospitals? All lab workers at diagnostic clinics? All lab workers at NIH, CDC, FBI, military bio-weapons labs at whatever country, research universities? Those who handle the last remaining stockpiles of the Smallpox virus?

This person worked in a lab, apparently as a supervisor, where samples were processed. No one has suggested that she came in contact with the fluids. She was last in the presence of the samples 19 days ago and has no symptoms of any disease.

Stop the hysteria.

Supposed to be docking in Cozumel at 10am and leaving at 6pm according to what Carnival is saying.....will be interesting if they are allowed to dock. So far magic is not there on the webcam.

According to a ship tracker website, Magic is indeed in Cozumel but is a few miles off shore.

Carnival.jpg

Having never loaded the webpage for Puerta Maya before in my life, all web traffic is transmitted through incognito windows or TOR and the webcam showing the current time and date for Cozumel, I can assure you it isn't a cached copy on my computer. If anything, it is a broken webcam in Mexico.

http://www.puertamaya.com/webcam.aspx

I dont think its broken. Allure and Freedom are in Cozumel today.

Edited by ryano

This is my biggest fear. The younger generation under the Clinton's & Obama are the Me Me Me Generation. They don't think they did anything wrong, I'm sure of it.

Not only are they extremely self-centered but extremely uneducated and showing no common sense or concern for others.

The wife and I had a business with about 40-50 part time workers. Lazy and stupid do not properly describe them. This is Morris County, NJ which is very well educated (use to be anyway).

Things like this can kill the cruise industry in no time, I'm very concerned.

CaptDave

If you really believe that it would be the younger generation under Clinton, Bush and Obama. Broad paint brush there.

All because idiots can't use their common sense and STAY HOME. Just like the dumb one who took a plane to Cleveland the day before symptoms started. If I was a worker in that hospital I would stay home out of courtesy for OTHERS. I just can't with these stupid people!!!!

...and selfish.

If OP is fearful of going on a cruise right now, then OP should stay home. The anxiety isn't worth it.

That said...and at the risk of being flamed...I think the fear of Ebola truly is irrational. Do we stay home during flu season if we didn't get a flu shot? No, but thousands of Americans die every year from flu and its complications.

As I write - and no, I haven't seen the news this morning - there have been exactly TWO cases of Ebola transmitted in the entire USA, both patients having caught the virus during the treatment of poor Mr. Duncan (who didn't contract the virus here but in Africa).

Because there's no nuance in a message board post, it may seem snarky to say, but I'm not trying to be snarky - in all sincerity and good faith, if you are that afraid of Ebola, talk to someone - your doctor, your pastor, a counselor, anyone who's totally objective. If you don't want to go on a cruise because of this, don't go. But get some objectivity about this disease - otherwise, just skipping your cruise isn't going to help you.

Belize is not a developed nation with high level treatment centers. We have isolation units in America than can handle contagious diseases (the Texas hospital not being one of them). Should we just let 3000 people go Hunger Games on the ship and sees who survives? The woman hasn't even tested positive for ebola.

No, we should let them off, go about their business, and then 5-10 days from now send out a press release for them to contact the CDC for testing just like they did the passengers on the flight.

Better safe than sorry is how I feel about this.