Celebrity Cruiseline and Kids

twokids0204

We have done Carnival in the past, and are doing Royal Caribbean in a week and half.

We are looking into an Alaska cruise for 2015, and the itineraries and pricing on Celebrity (and Princess) seem appealing.

My kids will be 11 and 13, is there enough activities for them that they won't be bored, or feel like we are dragging them around. Obviously all kids are different, but just wondering from other's experiences.

Welcome to Celebrity.

I warn you this is a very contraversial topic...

There are lots of other posts here on the Celebrity Board... That ask "Is Celebrity truly a family / kid friendly cruiseline ?"

You can do a Board Search to find past topics.

In truth...

Celebrity has very limited facilities for kids... Just a "kids club area"

And NONE of the exciting stuff found on other cruise lines (Kids Pools - Waterslides - Flo Riders - Ziplines - Rockwalls - Skating Rinks or Restaurants like Pizza Joints & Diners that kids enjoy)

Celebrity might be ok for really little ones, or truly sophisticated teens, ONLY YOU KNOW YOUR KIDS... But my kids would have been bored to death !!

Knowing this, I would have opted for a more Family Friendly / Kid Friendly Cruiseline (Disney, NCL, RCCL or Carnival)

As a Parent it is my experience that bored kids especially preteens & teens left to their own devices tend to get into things their parents prefer they would not (and bother others in the process... Lots of topics on that too here on the Celebrity Board)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Welcome to Celebrity.

I warn you this is a very contraversial topic...

There are lots of other posts here on the Celebrity Board... That ask "Is Celebrity truly a family / kid friendly cruiseline ?"

You can do a Board Search to find past topics.

In truth...

Celebrity has very limited facilities for kids... Just a "kids club area"

And NONE of the exciting stuff found on other cruise lines (Kids Pools - Waterslides - Flo Riders - Ziplines - Rockwalls - Skating Rinks or Restaurants like Pizza Joints & Diners that kids enjoy)

Celebrity might be ok for really little ones, or truly sophisticated teens, ONLY YOU KNOW YOUR KIDS... But my kids would have been bored to death !!

Knowing this, I would have opted for a more Family Friendly / Kid Friendly Cruiseline (Disney, NCL, RCCL or Carnival)

As a Parent it is my experience that bored kids especially preteens & teens left to their own devices tend to get into things their parents prefer they would not (and bother others in the process... Lots of topics on that too here on the Celebrity Board)

Cheers!

Thanks... not looking to start a controversial thread.

But that info helps...

I haven't really checked out NCL, will have to look down that alley as well.

My DS is 13. I would call him a sophisticated kid. He LOVES music...plays multiple instruments, sings, and composes. He loves to eat...enjoys trying new foods. He isn't a pool rat...the pool is okay, but he would rather play table tennis.

We did a Celebrity cruise for Spring Break 2014. We did a Carnival cruise for Fall Break 2014.

DS enjoyed both.

On Celebrity, a school mate was actually on our cruise...and so he got involved in the organized activities. He had an absolute blast. The activities were really good. Everything from the ship scavenger hunt to the Teen dance party take-over of the solarium one night. The activities had the kids doing things all over the ship. And because DS had a mate, he did other things...like eat lunch in the MDR with his friends, etc.

On Carnival, he didn't want to participate in the kids club at all. We didn't explore it much, but the room didn't appeal to him. And as weird as this could possibly be, there weren't that many kids on this particular cruise. The CD said so, and this is one reason why they added a 16+ age limit to several of the activities so that the adult's could "let loose" and really have some fun. That said, there were plenty of things for us to do that he really enjoyed that were more "ship level" activities than kid oriented only.

But DS enjoyed both cruises. And he is super excited to go back to Celebrity for Spring Break 2015.

My point is that each cruise is unique. The makeup of passengers is not a guarantee on whatever line you choose. Really look to see how much time would truly be spent on the ship with the itineraries and determine how important this really is in the overall scheme of the vacation...because no matter how much you try to plan and prepare, the vacation will be what it is.

My DS is 13. I would call him a sophisticated kid. He LOVES music...plays multiple instruments, sings, and composes. He loves to eat...enjoys trying new foods. He isn't a pool rat...the pool is okay, but he would rather play table tennis.

We did a Celebrity cruise for Spring Break 2014. We did a Carnival cruise for Fall Break 2014.

DS enjoyed both.

On Celebrity, a school mate was actually on our cruise...and so he got involved in the organized activities. He had an absolute blast. The activities were really good. Everything from the ship scavenger hunt to the Teen dance party take-over of the solarium one night. The activities had the kids doing things all over the ship. And because DS had a mate, he did other things...like eat lunch in the MDR with his friends, etc.

On Carnival, he didn't want to participate in the kids club at all. We didn't explore it much, but the room didn't appeal to him. And as weird as this could possibly be, there weren't that many kids on this particular cruise. The CD said so, and this is one reason why they added a 16+ age limit to several of the activities so that the adult's could "let loose" and really have some fun. That said, there were plenty of things for us to do that he really enjoyed that were more "ship level" activities than kid oriented only.

But DS enjoyed both cruises. And he is super excited to go back to Celebrity for Spring Break 2015.

My point is that each cruise is unique. The makeup of passengers is not a guarantee on whatever line you choose. Really look to see how much time would truly be spent on the ship with the itineraries and determine how important this really is in the overall scheme of the vacation...because no matter how much you try to plan and prepare, the vacation will be what it is.

Good insight... I appreciate the time you took to respond.

My kids as well were not at all into the Carnival kids program, they rooms were small, and not to be cliche but the programs were a little to babyish. As well being Carnival, we expected it to have better kids programs, and more kids programs, we were disappointed. Luckily though they found a lot of other things to do with us, like ping pong, giant chess boards, water slides, pools, even strolling through the atrium listening to music, and playing trivia at times.

Celebrity is great for kids! Our kids (9&11) prefer Celebrity kids club over those on other cruise lines. They have great counselors that take the children all over the ship. Alternatively the children can choose to stay in the kids club and do more quiet activities or play with the Xbox etc.

Once they make a friend or two (or with parents or siblings) the kids also enjoy the basketball/soccer court, the pool, live music in the lounges, table tennis, shows in the theater, ice cream and candy in the buffet basically all day, and the kids menu in the MDR. Not to mention that you'll be doing shore excursions most days which will be awesome for younger people.

I have ACTUALLY sailed with children on Celebrity in the past year and they were NEVER bored. And neither were the numerous little friends they met onboard.

More importantly, it's a more enjoyable, relaxing vacation for us adults compared to more "kid friendly" lines.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by law chick

We have done Carnival in the past, and are doing Royal Caribbean in a week and half.

We are looking into an Alaska cruise for 2015, and the itineraries and pricing on Celebrity (and Princess) seem appealing.

My kids will be 11 and 13, is there enough activities for them that they won't be bored, or feel like we are dragging them around. Obviously all kids are different, but just wondering from other's experiences.

I know that Celebrity has excellent kids programs, but I think it will be harder for kids to enjoy their cruise if they have already been on RCI or Carnival. Those ships are just livelier, while the overall atmosphere on Celebrity is more elegant and dignified. Plus, of course, there are the extra attractions on RCI like the ice skating, parades, etc. Kids vary quite a bit, of course --- only you know how important those activities are.

Edited by cynbar