Dressy Thongs?

Hi Divas icon_smile.gif I went out shopping AGAIN for my cruise. I purchased 2 pair of dressy leather thongs. One pair is pink and very strappy. The heel is almost 3 inches. The other pair is white pattent (SP?) with a toe ring type toe holder with a 2 inch heel very cutie. My question is what do you think about wearing these in the dining room? With all the chatter about thongs lately I am just not sure. To me they should be dressy enough they cost me mint icon_eek.gif. Please advise. Thanks icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until I am back on the Infinity

[This message was edited by windermere on 05-15-04 at 05:55 PM.]

I always assumed that thongs meant the rubber type like Havianas or something you can get at Old Navy/Gap. If they are leather with a heel and strappy, at what point do they stop becoming thongs and start becoming strappy sandals? Is it all about the separation of the big toe and the little ones? I just got an awesome pair from Ann Taylor Loft with a kitten heel, in leather, that I would think would be fine for the dining room, I am sure that yours will be just great!

I agree, these really are sandals, not thongs. When I think of thongs (shoes not underwear) I think of the very casual rubber or bamboo style that are worn with bathing suits or cropped pants.

You're wearing dressy sandals that simply have the traditional thong shape. They're fine for the dining room.

OMG - I thought you were talking about Thong underwear too and thought, who would wear LEATHER thong underwear!!! Glad to hear it was shoes LOL!!! (but if people want to wear leather thong underwear, well, ok...)

Suncat icon_cool.gif

I am in the same shoe dilemma. I LOVE thong type sandals. I just bought a gorgeous pair of white beaded ones for my cruise in Nov (yeah I know early, gimme a break icon_eek.gif). I think they fall into the "strappy" category. I call the rubber fun type "flip flops" and the others as sandals.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif OMG you guys are soooo funny...Im laughing here ....well, back to the question...the shoes sound darling and they are fine ...You kno, now a days , almost anything goes...Im Shirl by the way, from pittsburgh, Pa. and I will be sailing on the Glory on 7/24/04...anyone else on the Glory with me??

Shirl ~ ~

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;07;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7/04 Glory

7/03 Triumph

7/00 Sensation

DH just looked over my shoulder and got very excited about the possibility that I might be considering wearing "thongs" on our next cruise. Hated to break it to him that we were talking shoes, ladies!

I saw some cute rhinestone ones on the Spiegel website that I would wear for formal nites.

This whole thong vs. flip flop discussion FORCED me to tell you a story.

This past January, I was returning from a cruise on the Star Princess to Australia and New Zealand. We were about to check in at the Auckland airport when two very handsome guards stopped us and started going through our luggage. They were so good looking, I couldn't keep my eyes off of them.

I had brought along a small tote-style bag for just shoes (this was a 17-day trip). What are now called flip-flops, I have always known as thongs. The guard was going to through my shoe bag and asked if there was anything in the outside pocket. I said, yes, there is a pair of thongs in that pocket.

Well, you should have seen the look on his face! Instantly, I realized what I'd said and stammered all over the place, saying, "NOOO! I meant shoes! I mean, sandals! Flip-flops!" I could feel the color rising in my face and I'm sure I was beet-red.

He was very gracious and just laughed it off, while I slunk off into the distance. The other guard was laughing his @ss off too. I'm sure I made their day.

I can laugh about it now (in fact, I am), but at the time, I was mortified.

T

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif OMG tooo FUNNY......Im laughing my azz off reading all this ... I'll bet the guards and workers have a laugh a day on all the stuff they hear everyday...I'm sure there are ton of stories that they could tell us...

Shirl ~ ~

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;07;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7/04 Glory

7/03 Triumph

7/00 Sensation

I have some with silver sequins - but they are the dental floss type. (What can I say, I bought them for our 25th anniversary cruise) icon_smile.gif

Ecstasy '91

Ecstasy '93

Triumph '01

Conquest '03

Imagination '04

Mariner of the Seas '05

Here's a thought on the underwear vs. footwear discussion...where does the thong wit toe ring fit in???

Anyway, yes, you'll be fine in both!

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

• 1 month later...

Suncat asked who would wear leather thongs? I'll tell you who....

11/2003 we sailed Royal Voyager and what we did not know was it was also the Hogs On The High Seas convention! There were 1500 Harley riders and 300 of us non Harley riders. Made for quite an interesting week to say the least!

The dress code was waived for the Conventioners the entire week. I strongly disagreed with this policy, but of course my opinion was not asked for. The first formal night their group decided to wear their club leathers. Men wore their black leather club vests with all their patches and blue jeans. The women wore a variety of leather "get ups". I was quite embarrassed for many of them.

Perhaps the worst, though, was a lady wearing a black leather vest, black chaps with her "back side" completely exposed and nothing covering her back side other than a pair of black leather thong underwear!

There is your answer to who would wear black leather thong underwear!

I in my full length ball gown and my husband in his tux said to each other, "Honey, I suddenly feel overdressed!"

Quite the spectacle it was!

Katee: give the guy a thrill and wear some of the "other" thongs on your next cruise... :D

Anyway, back on topic: I have a great pair of toe-ring sandals, which is what I call these. No back strap, just over the toes and the toe-ring to keep them on. These are about 2 1/2 inch heels, and are a dull gold color (non-metallic). They are the BEST sandals to take on a cruise, because gold compliments almost any color, even black pants. I also wear them in the dining room for smart casual and casual night. My only problem is keeping up with DH walking around the ship in them!!!

Archived