To-Go at the MDR?

HollandAvery

Quick question, and sorry if this seems silly.

Can you order an extra item or two and take it to go in the MDR?

Like if we are very full but would like to take a dessert back to our room, is that possible? Or if we want to get a salad appetizer/etc. to go with us after we are finished (but order it to go at the same time we order our other appetizers).

i remember when I asked for a box to take my DS's leftover pizza back to cabin, they politely told me that if we'd like more pizza we can always order it on lido deck. so I guess the answer is no.

Oh, yikes!

That's too bad...because sometimes I just don't have room for dessert right then and there but it would sure be nice to be able to take back a piece of cheesecake to our room and crack open one of our bottles of Moscato for later in the evening when we aren't quite as stuffed.

Oh, yikes!

That's too bad...because sometimes I just don't have room for dessert right then and there but it would sure be nice to be able to take back a piece of cheesecake to our room and crack open one of our bottles of Moscato for later in the evening when we aren't quite as stuffed.

There are cheesecakes available at the buffet area on lido deck, although I forgot if they are the same as the ones offered in MDR.

There are cheesecakes available at the buffet area on lido deck, although I forgot if they are the same as the ones offered in MDR.

Thanks getupgo and Peppa,

I guess I will just have to check the buffet! How long are desserts usually out there until? We have late dining so I suppose we could stop by buffet before dinner to grab a plate of dessert. But just in case I can't get in before, I couldn't remember how long they had food out at the buffet. We never ate there except when we boarded for lunch and then one morning for breakfast.

Like if we are very full but would like to take a dessert back to our room, is that possible? Or if we want to get a salad appetizer/etc. to go with us after we are finished (but order it to go at the same time we order our other appetizers).

OP, the answer is YMMV. As this will vary from ship to ship and even from dining room to dining room on the same ship, nobody can give you a definitive answer here. Some Maitre d's will allow food to leave the dining room, whereas others do not. On occasion, a waiter may not know the answer and make an assumption by say it isn't allowed to eliminate the possibility of false hopes. When onboard, ask the hostess for the policy the Maitre d' sets. There is one Maitre d', Metin, who will allow food to leave, but only when delivered to your stateroom from your MDR headwaiter so it really varies.

The short answer is no.

There are exceptions, but don't bet on it.

On our last Carnival cruise I wasn't feeling well one night and skipped dinner. DH went with friends and the waiter asked where I was. DH told him that I was in the cabin resting and that I didn't feel very well. The waiter went above and beyond, bringing my husband soup, fresh bread with butter along with chicken and rice, all packaged up for him to take to me! How nice was that! Even though I wasn't very hungry, I was able to eat some of it later in the evening and was grateful for the very nice gesture.

On our last Carnival cruise I wasn't feeling well one night and skipped dinner. DH went with friends and the waiter asked where I was. DH told him that I was in the cabin resting and that I didn't feel very well. The waiter went above and beyond, bringing my husband soup, fresh bread with butter along with chicken and rice, all packaged up for him to take to me! How nice was that! Even though I wasn't very hungry, I was able to eat some of it later in the evening and was grateful for the very nice gesture.

That is awesome!

OP, the answer is YMMV. As this will vary from ship to ship and even from dining room to dining room on the same ship, nobody can give you a definitive answer here. Some Maitre d's will allow food to leave the dining room, whereas others do not. On occasion, a waiter may not know the answer and make an assumption by say it isn't allowed to eliminate the possibility of false hopes. When onboard, ask the hostess for the policy the Maitre d' sets. There is one Maitre d', Metin, who will allow food to leave, but only when delivered to your stateroom from your MDR headwaiter so it really varies.

This has been my experience. We have sailed 8 cruises on 4 ship in the last 4 years. YMMV (your mileage my vary) is the best answer.

I have ALWAYS taken dessert from the dining room. I have never asked permission, I just requested a cover and off we went. No one has ever stopped me. (Just let him/her try.:D)

Take your dessert with you and enjoy.