Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

i just read through this over the past two days

thanks for taking the time while you were on your cruise...

i don't know how you managed it....i'm far too selfish to take the time away from my cruising fun to write out posts!!!

looks like a fun ship..

i hadn't planned on trying it, but i think i might once it gets to shanghai...

(though the thought of mamma mia turns my stomach - abba, blech)..

thanks again for all the information and pictures...really fun to look through it all (and boy am i hungry!!!!aubergine parmigiana - yum!!!! .. )

Edited by alaska_planner

?Just wondering if anyone noticed the brand of tea they had on board. RCCL used to have Lipton, but the last time we sailed they just had the specialty teas. Maybe I should bring my own?

Have not read any other responses you have gotten, but in my opinion you should bring your own. I have seen many do this. They are using First Tea brand which is very weak. Our waiter on Explorer last week brought 2 bags if you requested.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They were working on many of the elevators on the ship throughout the cruise. Many companies still had representatives onboard to make sure everything was working.

RCI did break from tradition here and contracted with Schindler Elevators for the Quantum and broke the long term relationship with KONE Elevators. KONE had done a fantastic job on solutions for the Oasis class ships.

They look just like the oasis and Allure elevators

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The sea pass cards on Quantum have a chip in them...so no barcode on the back of them so if you punch a whole in the card it will most likely go through the chip in it. Guest Services warned me not to attempt punching a hole in my card.

I & others just wore our lanyards without the card on them (the lanyards had been part of the Critters Project 2014) and we added our Quantum pins to the lanyard to weigh it down a bittie.

Thanks for the "no holes" tip. I did have my last card punched for lanyard wear but won't do that for my Quantum one. May go with the band anyway.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They look just like the oasis and Allure elevators

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The difference is seen on the button panel if you are really interested. The Schindler Quantum ones are touch sensitive buttons, while the Oasis are push buttons.

I think the Quantum probably has or will have some of the most photographed elevators at sea with the animal art.

I went right from the Oasis post dry-dock TA to the Quantum TA and noticed lots of small details that were different.

RCI gave the Oasis 3 contract to KONE again.

http://www.kone.com/en/press/press/kone-to-equip-third-consecutive-oasis-class-luxury-cruise-ship-with-energy-efficient-people-flow-solutions-2013-09-20.aspx

Joanna - thanks for taking the time to upload all the pics of this cruise, especially your superior grand suite. One last request if you have time - please take a pic of either of the entrances to the bathroom to see the configuration - great shots before - but from back further to see both sinks and tub to see how set up since RCI still does not have this on the website. Your suite looks amazing - and thanks for the advice about the coffee table - will have to be careful about that in March! Once again - thanks for all your pics - MOST appreciated - have a safe trip home!

Hi Treacher1 - sorry for the delay in posting this; I actually tried to post it form the ship a few times lol. Here's the view from the entrance by the cabin door. Thank you for your kinds words - so glad it was helpful!

ry%3D400

Hi Everyone - spent some time catching up the Q&A spreadsheet. If you still have a question that hasn't been answered, feel free to let us know.

Q&A Spreadsheet

Also, we've been uploading more photos to the Shutterfly site - https://quantumlaunchers.shutterfly.com

Thanks again for all your positive feedback. I can't wait to get back on QoS!

Joanna

I thought most of us expected that these sort of things were going to occur on a first voyage. As reported by many others prior to this sailing, maidens are prone to a bit of shaking down.

I think Royal were very fair in giving a future 25% discount and $300 spending onboard to make up for it.

Oh, and refunding the internet package, which, while not great, worked and was.certainly great for free.

Seeing some of the whining about little things by passengers in guest services was disappointing, made me feel for the poor staff who had to endure what was, quite frankly, pure rudeness.

How do you get the 25% future discount as I did not get it?:confused:

We also got free drinks the first night as the computers were down so that was a nice thing they did for us:cool:

I am book to go on the Anthem also as this is a beautiful class of ship:eek:

Edited by flames

How do you get the 25% future discount as I did not get it?:confused:

We also got free drinks the first night as the computers were down so that was a nice thing they did for us:cool:

I am book to go on the Anthem also as this is a beautiful class of ship:eek:

Hi Carol, every guest on our sailing will get the 25% FCC ...although I haven't seen anyone post that they have received it yet. There was a letter left in the cabins explaining about the FCC (Future Cruise Credit) and the OBC we all got.

It will go to the Travel Agent that you booked this cruise with, and it will be 25% of the Cruise Fare you paid for this cruise, you can then use it towards final payment on another cruise...within a year.

It was great to finally meet you and Mary, I am sorry we didn't have more time to chat, it was a rather hectic cruise for me. But it was nice we were together at Mamma Mia with our boas :D

Thanks for posting that pic - now it all makes sense. Actually might be better than a side by side sink like the traditional grand suite. I still wish we could get rid of BOTH of those dividers on the corner of the wrap around balcony. Will just have to live with that - ha - not a real problem, I guess - can't wait till March to sail - love those floor to ceiling windows AND the large porthole - which make the suite look even larger. Did you use room service at all- was there a fee even though in a suite?? That is the last of my questions - you have a lot of good memories about this ship. Thanks again!

Hi Carol, every guest on our sailing will get the 25% FCC ...although I haven't seen anyone post that they have received it yet. There was a letter left in the cabins explaining about the FCC (Future Cruise Credit) and the OBC we all got.

It will go to the Travel Agent that you booked this cruise with, and it will be 25% of the Cruise Fare you paid for this cruise, you can then use it towards final payment on another cruise...within a year.

It was great to finally meet you and Mary, I am sorry we didn't have more time to chat, it was a rather hectic cruise for me. But it was nice we were together at Mamma Mia with our boas :D

Hi Liz, thank you for letting me know about the credit:cool:

What happen to you when Mary and I were going to meet you for lunch on Thursday in Michael's Genuine Pub for lunch, Mary and I waited for you? We had a little something for you:confused:

Carol:)

Hi Liz, thank you for letting me know about the credit:cool:

What happen to you when Mary and I were going to meet you for lunch on Thursday in Michael's Genuine Pub for lunch, Mary and I waited for you? We had a little something for you:confused:

Carol:)

Sorry Carol I got held up somewhere, heck not exactly sure now but I do know I was still delivering pins on the last evening. I was at Guest Services so many times my friend there said I should grab a duvet and sleep there LOL.

Not Sure about everyone else! Im sad to say just got off

Quantum of the seas and thou the ship is a beauty

The service was really bad! Just to give an example

We sat down in the grand and was in there

Over 3 hours - got our food at different times

Within an hour for party of 10 and drinks came 1 1/2 hours

Into meal! We walked out before dessert was served

As we waited and waited and just got disgusted

-- hope the improve service as the ship is a beauty

Edited by cruisedealership

Hi Treacher1 - sorry for the delay in posting this; I actually tried to post it form the ship a few times lol. Here's the view from the entrance by the cabin door. Thank you for your kinds words - so glad it was helpful!

ry%3D400

I am so glad to see that the bathtub isn't as high up as the other GS's one like the Explorer - it felt like you were climbing a mountain getting in & out :)

Pat

Just wanted to give a shout out to all the Live posters. You really gave great insight into the ship and when boarding I had all of your suggestions and images in my head while touring the ship and know what to look for and beaware of.

Some helpful suggestions from my trip:

1. Book reservations before you leave if possible so at least you have a reservation. You can always change if there's room but as in many of the speciality restaurants they are filled and no stand bys.
  2. Get to the Ripcord/Ifly as soon as you're able to book a time at the beginning of the week. After your first time you'll want to try again since you know what to expect. This was one of the few places that appeared to have standby positions and if one or two people might get picked if a whole party doesn't show up.
  3. Download the Royal IQ app. You can still use it even if you don't buy the wifi package since it will work with the app. You can monitor your purchases daily via the app anywhere on the ship.
  4. If you can't get a seat at any of the shows you can always stand in the back if you're able. All the shows were "sold out" on the cruise but we would watch from the back.
  5. The Wowbands are pretty useless. You tyipcally have to take it off for a bartender or server to use it. But it does open your stateroom door easily.

Just curious. Were there any designated Formal Nights on your cruise or are Formal Nights now a thing of the past? Has the Captains table for 10 that was usually utilized on Formal Nights also been discontinued? Does the Captain (or some other senior officer) still assemble a table for 10 two to three nights a cruise or has that tradition also been discontinued?

Just curious. Were there any designated Formal Nights on your cruise or are Formal Nights now a thing of the past? Has the Captains table for 10 that was usually utilized on Formal Nights also been discontinued? Does the Captain (or some other senior officer) still assemble a table for 10 two to three nights a cruise or has that tradition also been discontinued?

There are no designated formal nights on ships with Dynamic Dining.

we have the Grande reserved for 3 times - early reviews are very negative .... likely will try once' date=' but if a flop, will try to go someplace else. Anybody care to comment about the Grande?[/quote']

Only negative reviews I have seen were about some people wearing t shirts and blue jeans; are you referring to negative food reviews? Can you post a link?

we have the Grande reserved for 3 times - early reviews are very negative .... likely will try once' date=' but if a flop, will try to go someplace else. Anybody care to comment about the Grande?[/quote']

I've only booked it on the first night (cause it's informal and I can't afford to pack formal gear on a flight), I only booked once at each restaurant just in case, at least I can attempt then to make additional reservations onboard knowing what I do like