Second Thoughts

JoeTN

I'm booked on Sensation's Halloween Cruise out of New Orleans, I'm 20 yrs old. My parents'll be on the cruise in thier own cabin, somewhere a few decks up.

I won't be traveling with a partner, and I'm starting to wonder just how much fun I'll have. I realize theres the clubs and discos at night, but during the day, I'm starting to wonder.

Also, I'm not doing Shore Excursions with my parents (namely because the ones they're doing don't interest me, and they're fairly expensive and exotic). I've booked one that's a beach trip, open bar and then some shopping in Playa Del Carmen. I'm thinking of cancelling it now tho, as Im starting to think it'll prolly be mostly if not all couples and families.

So, what would be good shore excursions for a solo cruiser ? Nothing sounds "fun" alone, and I'm weary to break off on my own and just "explore" by myself.

Any advice from Veteran Solo Cruisers would be appreciated.

All cruiselines have a single's meet and greet the first night around 11:30-11:45. Get to know the CD and he might hook you up with others your age. You may have to be a little forward but you can bar hop the first night and maybe meet other young people. Find out what excursions they are on and go on them. I hope you like the beach and snorkling. These two activities seem to draw the younger crowd. Hang out by the pool and you will meet others. Enter the sport type games, you will meet others.

Hi Joe. I'm a solo-cruiser, but MUCH older than you. I know there is a singles meet-and-greet on each ship, but I've never attended. I'm sure you'll find some other passengers around your age....or you might consider having a friend go with you?

Since you'll be on a Carnival ship..........As far as the bar-hopping, you are under 21, so you aren't allowed to purchase any alcoholic beverages.

I'm kinda wondering how you are booked into a cabin by yourself - a few decks alway from your parents. Carnival's written policy is that someone has to be 25 yr. old in the cabin. (Kids can be booked into a cabin directly next to or across the hall from their parents....but not on different decks.) So - just wondering how that came about???

Don't worry about having things to do. Always something going on. If you're shy, try to overcome that and just walk up to a group and introduce yourself. Can't hurt, and you might meet some really great people.:)

Since you'll be on a Carnival ship..........As far as the bar-hopping, you are under 21, so you aren't allowed to purchase any alcoholic beverages.

I'm kinda wondering how you are booked into a cabin by yourself - a few decks alway from your parents. Carnival's written policy is that someone has to be 25 yr. old in the cabin. (Kids can be booked into a cabin directly next to or across the hall from their parents....but not on different decks.) So - just wondering how that came about???

I won't be able to purchase them for the most part no, but, we'll get around that just a little bit.

As for my cabin, we were surprised too. My mom booked months ago for her and DH, and she called like last week and added me. We thought we were gonna have to say my mom was staying in one cabin, and me and my dad were in another, but, Carnival let me book on my own. It may have to do with the fact that I've been in the Military (Got a nice discount on that too), or, some dumb agent at Carnival made a mistake. I do know she went straight to Carnival, and not her TA for my booking. Who knows, maybe we'll get there and they'll tell me I can't board caus I'm not 21 :p

Why don't you find the roll call for your cruise & talk to the others that will be on the same cruise with you? You can post this msg there... maybe someone is bringing along their "kids" as well & you can meet up with them. Worth a shot at least.

i also went on a cruise with my parents... i was a little older than you at the time (23). i definitely understand your feelings. Was it the best time ever? No, but it was actually still fun. I think you will be surprised at the activities onboard to keep you busy.

Sun Princess 10/95

NCL Jewel 11/6/05

Why don't you find the roll call for your cruise & talk to the others that will be on the same cruise with you? You can post this msg there... maybe someone is bringing along their "kids" as well & you can meet up with them. Worth a shot at least.

i also went on a cruise with my parents... i was a little older than you at the time (23). i definitely understand your feelings. Was it the best time ever? No, but it was actually still fun. I think you will be surprised at the activities onboard to keep you busy.

Sun Princess 10/95

NCL Jewel 11/6/05

Lol, my roll call consists of my parents and two other couples in thier age range, and the ones with kids aren't brining them :p

But, thanks for the re-assurance I'll enjoy it at least.

Hola Jose,

What I would do to be in your shoes. To be young, handsome, and to go on a cruise at the ripe age of 20. Now I am in my, uh, 50's, married and starting to feel the aches and pains of old age. I can still do things that I used to do, but it takes longer to heal, and I often ask myself if it is a good idea to go ahead and do it.:D

You question yourself about having a good time. If you want to have a good time, in most cases you will. There will probably be several young adults like yourself on the cruise and you stand a very good chance of meeting some really nice people. Let loose and have a ball!

To quote a line from the movie, (It's a Wonderful Life), "Youth is wasted on the wrong people."

Lol, my roll call consists of my parents and two other couples in thier age range, and the ones with kids aren't brining them :p

But, thanks for the re-assurance I'll enjoy it at least.

I think if you go with the expectation of just relaxing, being away from stress, having someone else cook for you and enjoying new places, you should have a great time. Somehow being on the beach by that blue-green Caribbean water makes all your other cares go away.

That said, even if you don't meet people your own age, i am POSITIVE you will meet some cool "older kids" :D

I know how you feel. I am 22 and have gone on several vacations with just my parents. I think it all matters what attitude you have going into it. If you go thinking that you will have a horrible vacation you will. But, if you go in thinking that you are going to have fun and meet new people, you never know what will happen. The main thing is to be assertive and go up to people you think you might want to hang out with. They aren't going to go up to you, so you have to take the initiative. And if you are one of those people that gets scared going up to people you don't know (I know I am) just think that after your cruise you are likely never to see them again, it usually helps me in the courage department. And don't worry, you seem like a nice person who is interesting and cool, I'm sure you won't have any problems.

If you choose to be on your own then just relax.......and know that your military experience will probably be good conversation material (as long as you don't use too many "I, I, I and me, me, me" in your conversations. And you will most probably meet up with some pretty interesting and fun people in your age group 20-25.

One other thing I might suggest, since your mom obviously wanted you along on the cruise and made the arrangements.....is it at all possible that maybe you can go on shore excursions and eat dinner with your parents and other stuff like that, that it might be a real pleasant surprise for them, that it will be very special for them and a good way of showing them how much you like them. Your concern in your post is about you. How about, possibly, thinking about how wonderful your parents are for wanting you along on this cruise with them. When I was in my 20s I invited my dad to go with me on a business trip, my dad rode along in my company car with me, we spent a couple of nites on the raod together and years later (after my dad had already gone to heaven) my mother told me that that trip really meant the world to my dad.

I was on a cruise this summer and observed alot of parents with older teenage children on our historical shore excursions to Istanbul and Athens. I thought of how wonderful in the years to come that these children will be so grateful to their parents for taking them not just on fun excursions to the beach or such, but on excursions where, together, they learned about humanity.

Well, I digress......I am just suggesting you might take the opportunity of this cruise to really show how much you like your parents -- by doing stuff with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been pretty much in the situation you are. I went on my first cruise with my parents just after I turned 21 and the whole trip down there wondered what in the world I was going to do for a week on a boat with my parents. (I was sooo ready to just turn the car around and head back to Alabama, which is saying a lot!) But it's actually great! I've been on 3 cruises now, twice with just my parents, and each time I find great people to hang out with. Each time we have been paired at our dinner table with at least one other girl that is close to my age traveling with parents, and that's a good outlet to make a friend from the beginning. They do have the single meet and greet things, but I can't comment on that cause I've never actually made it to that.

As far as the excursions, it doesn't matter who you go with, they are fun. I usually go snorkeling and there are tons of people there that are just there to have a good time. You'll meet people for sure, and often times they are from other ships. Trust me, I used to be fairly shy (college and getting a real job made me lose that somewhat) but it's really easy to meet people or just have fun on your own. Whatever you do, have a great time and don't worry about a thing. I know that answer is kinda vague, but hopefully you can find something useful from my ramblings.

The Sensation was also our first cruise with all the kids. My oldest was 19 just out of boot camp. my other kids were 15 and 17. It was the best vacation they ever had- so they say. Yes, even the 19 year old had a blast. Michaelangos was a hang out for the group between 18-21. There was a single meet the first night and he met up with people his own age that first night. It was held rather later-- almost midnight. Play your excursions by ear. you may meet up with someone and can do stuff on the island together. Dont rule out excursions completly

Joe,

We just returned on Sept 1st from the Sensation, which was our first ever cruise. Our 19 year old daughter loved it, she says it was the best vacation ever! She is a social butterfly and did go to the meet and greet on the first night. Honestly, we rarely saw her the entire time because she was so busy with lots of new friends (and the boy she met). You've got to open yourself up to meeting people and without a doubt, you'll have a blast.

Have a great time! I saw your posts on another board and know this is a vacation you were very much looking forward to. Don't stress...you'll have a great time.

I see you were/are in the military. It will beat mess hall food by a mile. Go in as if on a mission. The mission is to have fun. You must meet the locals (on the ship). Then you have a sortie into the unknown (snorkling/swimming in the ocean). You will know that you have accomplished your mission when you come back with a smile.

Carry on soldier!

Cancel cancel cancel....and book on our cruise carnival valor 10/23/05 to eastern carribean. Why? We are bringing our gorgeous 17 yr old daughter and her 18 yr old friend. I was wondering myself if there will be other one close to their ages. So are they! We will be first time cruisers. We are going at a strange time as far as school breaks so hope there will be others for them. Just enjoy your trip...have a great time! Let us know how it was!:p

Cancel cancel cancel....and book on our cruise carnival valor 10/23/05 to eastern carribean. Why? We are bringing our gorgeous 17 yr old daughter and her 18 yr old friend. I was wondering myself if there will be other one close to their ages. So are they! We will be first time cruisers. We are going at a strange time as far as school breaks so hope there will be others for them. Just enjoy your trip...have a great time! Let us know how it was!:p

Oh, you tell me this now, thanks :-p Lol :)

I have cruised single many times (I couldn't cruise single now if my life depended on it. I also cannot go to the rest room alone. Kids, gotta love em) and I had a wonderful time every single time. There were always other groups of singles around my age (18-28 then) and on the one cruise when there weren't any I made older friends who I still talk to today.

There are activities and all sorts of things to do during the day. You will have a good time. I know I did and I never did have an "ocean romance". (Which was just fine with me at the time).

I have been taking myself away on holiday by myself for years. Its great!! :) No arguments about what to do or where to go or when. You can stay up or have an early night without causing a full blown tantrum with anyone. You can just sit back and relax, do your own thing, in your own time...and have lots of fun people watching (you would be amazed what fun that can be).

And anyway, you are never entirely on your own aboard a ship...apart from when you are tucked up in the cabin, which I spose there is always a slim chance that even then you won't be alone. It all depends on how you want to spend your time aboard really.

Enjoy it, have loads of fun and you will do it again and again :):)

And anyway, you are never entirely on your own aboard a ship...apart from when you are tucked up in the cabin, which I spose there is always a slim chance that even then you won't be alone.

*laughs evily*

Yep, I may just have to work on THOSE odds, lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey you. My name is Ariel...im in your situtation also...im 19 years old going on a cruise with my grandparents october 31st through november 6th on Monarch of the Seas...my birthday is October 31st im going basically to celebrate my 20th birthday...im worryied i wont meet anyone also...but im just gona go and enjoy...just go and enjoy yourself...your going the same day as my bday :) enjoy yourself and think happy thoughts! take care!

Archived