Diamond Princess - Best side of ship for Alaska?

NASCAR NUT

Does it matter which side of the ship you are on for the Alaska cruise? I know when we went to the Panama Canal we were told to be on a certain side for going through the locks.

Just wondering?

Thanks, Nascar Nut

Well, in Alaska the OUTside is best.:p Seriously, many folks prefer the starboard on a northbound trip, and port on a southbound, as you are facing the mainland. But the inside passage is so pretty and gorgeous that both sides are a great view. If you are doing a RT, I suppose it does not much matter unless the route up or down is mostly daylight one way and night the other.

Are you going next year? If so, it depends on whether you're going northbound or southbound. Northbound, the land will be on the starboard side, southbound it'll be on the port side. If you're going this year, it's round-trip and I don't think there's one side that is so much better than the other. We were on the port side on a round-trip last year and there weren't any times we felt we needed to rush over to the starboard side to see something.

Archived