Cruises that leave on a weekday question......

wizard-of-roz

All of our past cruises have set sail on a Saturday or a Sunday. We have a 10 day cruise leaving on a Monday coming up and, a 14 day leaving on a Thursday. Should I allow for a busier port experience [i know the L.A. traffic will be a nightmare on a Monday morning] will the port be busier as well?

What's your experience?

More traffic, as you know. I haven't noticed any significant difference boarding on a weekday vs. a weekend. Each embarkation is a little different because it depends on when the ship is cleared for embarkation. About the same number of people are boarding the ship no matter which day of the week. :)

The port is pretty quiet during the week. We have left on Princess cruises several times then.

Traffic in LA is usually busy but if you are on the freeway after 9:30am, it is lighter. The worse traffic is if you are downtown LA where freeways merge onto 405, that is the heaviest and when you pass LAX. Never had a delay getting the port and we have to go through San Diego county, Orange county, and on to San Pedro. Always arrive nice and early to port by 10:30-11:00am.

More traffic, as you know. I haven't noticed any significant difference boarding on a weekday vs. a weekend. Each embarkation is a little different because it depends on when the ship is cleared for embarkation. About the same number of people are boarding the ship no matter which day of the week. :)

Thanks Pam. I know I'll have to deal with the 405 Valley traffic and then the LAX morning traffic thing but dealing with the cargo ships and dock workers on a weekday as opposed to a weekend, I wondered if the mindset of the whole area was much different. :confused:

The port is pretty quiet during the week. We have left on Princess cruises several times then.

Traffic in LA is usually busy but if you are on the freeway after 9:30am, it is lighter. The worse traffic is if you are downtown LA where freeways merge onto 405, that is the heaviest and when you pass LAX. Never had a delay getting the port and we have to go through San Diego county, Orange county, and on to San Pedro. Always arrive nice and early to port by 10:30-11:00am.

I think you may be right about leaving after 9:30am. My usual drive to the port from my Valley home is about 50 minutes on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I'm hoping it won't be much different if I leave at the above time!

This may be a good time to think about taking a hotel room in San Pedro, for Sunday evening, something to think about.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The Cruise terminal is separate from where the Dock workers are at Port of LA. They probably start work way before we hit the road.

Exit the Harbor freeway and it is a block to our parking and pier.

No congestion ever.

Years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise and shared space with Royal Caribbean ship. It was horrible getting into parking lot and worse when we came back. Different Dock than Princess (I think).

Staying at hotel may give you peace of mind but for us living within 1 1/2 hrs from port, not really necessary.The cost of the hotel will be more than parking at the port terminal. However, you can park for free at hotel.(still more than parking fee of $12.00 a day).

The Cruise terminal is separate from where the Dock workers are at Port of LA. They probably start work way before we hit the road.

Exit the Harbor freeway and it is a block to our parking and pier.

No congestion ever.

Years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise and shared space with Royal Caribbean ship. It was horrible getting into parking lot and worse when we came back. Different Dock than Princess (I think).

Staying at hotel may give you peace of mind but for us living within 1 1/2 hrs from port, not really necessary.The cost of the hotel will be more than parking at the port terminal. However, you can park for free at hotel.(still more than parking fee of $12.00 a day).

You know how sometimes you just "over think" things. I think this may be one of those times.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I have cruised from San Pedro, on Wednesdays, to Hawaii, in both 2013 and 2014. It was smooth and easy both times.

My Princess bus left Marriott LAX at 11:30am, both times. Smooth!

I realize thing could be different, but I had no problems mid-day and mid-week.

Best wishes.

I think you may be right about leaving after 9:30am. My usual drive to the port from my Valley home is about 50 minutes on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I'm hoping it won't be much different if I leave at the above time!

This may be a good time to think about taking a hotel room in San Pedro, for Sunday evening, something to think about.

With the carpool lane from the valley to the city on the 405 once you pass Sunset it usually is clear sailing to San Pedro on weekdays. We leave the valley about 11AM(takes about 45-50 minutes) and have not had traffic problems...and hopefully none for our next cruise which leaves on a Thursday!

we live about 5 miles from our airport, say maybe 15mins drive. we often go and stay the night before flying out if our flight is before 10am. it just starts the holiday better not to be stressed out getting that 5 miles of commuter traffic crawling at 5mph. it works out about £10 more for the night in the hotel and park for free there than paying for parking at the airport car parking facility. go on, start your holiday stress free and know you are close to the port with no hassles to worry about.;)

Edited by buchananglasgow

Roz, you mentioned you live in the Valley. You definetly want to wait till rush hours is over. That lineup towards LA is bad in the morning.

Sometimes it extends all the way to the airport(LAX), then clears.I go that way coming home from visiting daughter. Never leave her house before 10:00am. Even on Saturday it can be crowded.

I have cruised from San Pedro' date=' on Wednesdays, to Hawaii, in both 2013 and 2014. It was smooth and easy both times.

My Princess bus left Marriott LAX at 11:30am, both times. Smooth!

I realize thing could be different, but I had no problems mid-day and mid-week.

Best wishes.[/quote']

Sounds good and definitely makes me feel much better! Thanks.

With the carpool lane from the valley to the city on the 405 once you pass Sunset it usually is clear sailing to San Pedro on weekdays. We leave the valley about 11AM(takes about 45-50 minutes) and have not had traffic problems...and hopefully none for our next cruise which leaves on a Thursday!

Thanks for the info.

we live about 5 miles from our airport, say maybe 15mins drive. we often go and stay the night before flying out if our flight is before 10am. it just starts the holiday better not to be stressed out getting that 5 miles of commuter traffic crawling at 5mph. it works out about £10 more for the night in the hotel and park for free there than paying for parking at the airport car parking facility. go on, start your holiday stress free and know you are close to the port with no hassles to worry about.;)

Honestly, isn't that what we all want, to start our holiday "stress free!" If only that could happen! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, you mentioned you live in the Valley. You definetly want to wait till rush hours is over. That lineup towards LA is bad in the morning.

Sometimes it extends all the way to the airport(LAX), then clears.I go that way coming home from visiting daughter. Never leave her house before 10:00am. Even on Saturday it can be crowded.

I will definitely wait until after everyone else's [or the majority thereof] work day starts.

I always like to get an early start......but, this time may call for a little later start than usual. Thanks so much for the input!

I will definitely wait until after everyone else's [or the majority thereof] work day starts.

I always like to get an early start......but, this time may call for a little later start than usual. Thanks so much for the input!

We're leaving this Friday on Golden Princess and anticipate leaving the Santa Clarita Valley about 11:30am. Hopefully we'll find the sweet spot between the morning and early afternoon traffic. :)

BTW, love your new .gif in your signature! Very fun. :)

We're leaving this Friday on Golden Princess and anticipate leaving the Santa Clarita Valley about 11:30am. Hopefully we'll find the sweet spot between the morning and early afternoon traffic. :)

BTW, love your new .gif in your signature! Very fun. :)

Have a wonderful cruise. I hope you find that sweet spot!

Doesn't he look so real! I swear sometimes it feels like he can just jump off the page and demand a snack! ;)