Wedding Dreams Begins-a pre cruise wedding journal

Bestdayever

I am recently engaged, and have just started thinking about my wedding. I first thought destination wedding in the Caribbean, but have since started leaning towards a cruise wedding. Your posts have been SOO helpful in giving me a place to start, and things to start thinking about! You are extremely organized - I'm impressed! I think you mentioned something about living in Maine - that's where I live as well, and I would love to hear who you used for your travel agent if this is indeed the direction I take for my wedding! I will continue to follow your post to hear about the rest of the planning and the big event!

We made sure to put on our wedding website and to tell the few who don't use the internet that we couldn't accept gifts at the wedding. Most seemed to assume it was because we didn't want to have to fly home with them, either way it worked. :)

That is a great idea! Thanks

Here are a couple tags I made this weekend. The yellow ones will go on the wine glasses I made for the bridal shower.

The silver ones I made from clay. I have never worked with clay before. It was trial and error on these. I used an actual starfish to imprint. Then once they were dry I spray painted them silver. Well they crumbled. So my daughter had a great idea. Modge Podge over them. They are still fragile but much better. We are going to used these as tags for either the reception or I may use on the welcome bags. I have made so many different tags now, I am not sure what is what.

image1-1.jpg.0085ceea3dec9a2e623f104388c708f6.jpg

image1.jpg.a72078dd0425f1f967c2ddb180f90d0b.jpg

The one thing I wanted to make for the cruise was a banner for the bride and groom’s cabin door.

When we were on the cruise a few weeks ago, I measured the door using my arm. Ingenious I know. Now I needed to try and find banner material. I did not want to use paper. I stopped at our local office supply place. They did not have it. I know Staples online had a sale on banners $9.99 for a 2x3 banner which was almost the perfect size. You could design what you want. I thought that was a really good deal, but I had my design on my silhouette and wasn’t sure how to copy and transfer to Staples site.

So then I thought, go to a local craft supply place that had material. And find some vinyl there. So that is what I did. It cost me $3.00 for 2 feet by about 5 feet.

The actual measurement I needed was 16” x 3 feet. I got that all cut out. I ended up having to order more pink vinyl for the silhouette. I am doing most of the lettering in Black with some pink accents.

I will find some sticky magnets and attached to the back of it. Hopefully it will stick to the door. I should bring some tape just in case ( if they allow you to tape to the door). I will also hand a marker and hopefully people will write a message.

I am hoping this project will be done this week. I will post pictures once it is done.

I will find some sticky magnets and attached to the back of it. Hopefully it will stick to the door. I should bring some tape just in case ( if they allow you to tape to the door). I will also hand a marker and hopefully people will write a message.

I am hoping this project will be done this week. I will post pictures once it is done.

Use the blue post tack that Elmer's/3M makes. Many of the doors will not hold Magnets and the blue poster tacky stuff will not leave residue and result in a cleaning charge. Carnival requests you use that and command hooks for decorating.

Here is our door using the blue putty and command hooks and a door poster magnet I bought through vista print.

Here are the rules that Carnival Gives to the facebook door decorators group:

Door Information::

Door measurements are 72"x 22". Handicap accessible doors measure 72"x30".

The mailbox wall is 11 inches wide, the ceiling to the top of mailbox is

12 3/4 inches.

From the top of the door to the top of the door knob box is 33 inches.

The doors are actually 77 inches tall, the 72 inch measurement is to the top of the vent. You really shouldn't block the vent.

Doors Are NOT magnetic.

Rules Per Carnival:

The use of 3M command strips, Loctite fun-tak (which is a blue putty) or Scotch removable mounting putty, is recommended to hang any decorations Please take a look in the files tabs for pictures of these products.

Blue painters tape is okay, as it does not leave a residue, but it only holds lightweight items, so please don't depend on it as your only method to hang your items up with.

Outside lights on the balcony are starting to be banned due to sea regulations.

Other Information:

Please do NOT use anything that leaves a residue behind. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

That means scotch tape or duct tape or contact paper or Velcro. Do NOT use it.

Inside the cabins: Ceilings are magnetic. Side walls are slightly less magnetic, so use a stronger magnet for the walls.

Decorating Contests are NOT part of each cruise, nor sponsored by Carnival. It is at the discretion of the Cruise Director if they choose to have a contest on a sailing. Some private FB groups may choose to have a contest, but not all of them.

10942299_10153605196343266_695908889_n.jpg.f36a48ccc3c427d75df630fc59b13597.jpg

10941277_10153605196478266_1515841404_n.jpg.6c6c04c9956d87de8ca765fbdf340697.jpg

Thank you!!!!!! I didn't realize they had door rules. I really appreciate the information. That would have been awful thinking that a magnet would hold the banner up. :mad:

I did finish the door banner. It measures 16" x 36" so I think that will work. I think it turned out pretty good.

image1.jpg.d9a3a4d734fdcbb1a34091b34f10554f.jpg

My 8 year old nephew will also be joining us on the cruise. I wanted to make him a special welcome bag. I found this cool bag on etsy. He loves zombies and monsters so I thought it was fitting. I also had it personalized with his name on it. I think its super cute!

We had bought some candy to put in the bag. I was also thinking of buying a snorkeling set for him. I will also make him a special water bottle. Maybe put a zombie or something on it for him.

Any other ideas to put in a bag for an 8 year old boy?

il_170x135.465500390_2i8p.jpg.36107e8f33ec468f22611ac3ce72cce6.jpg

Here is our door using the blue putty and command hooks and a door poster magnet I bought through vista print.

Here are the rules that Carnival Gives to the facebook door decorators group:

Door Information::

Door measurements are 72"x 22". Handicap accessible doors measure 72"x30".

The mailbox wall is 11 inches wide, the ceiling to the top of mailbox is

12 3/4 inches.

From the top of the door to the top of the door knob box is 33 inches.

The doors are actually 77 inches tall, the 72 inch measurement is to the top of the vent. You really shouldn't block the vent.

Doors Are NOT magnetic.

Rules Per Carnival:

The use of 3M command strips, Loctite fun-tak (which is a blue putty) or Scotch removable mounting putty, is recommended to hang any decorations Please take a look in the files tabs for pictures of these products.

Blue painters tape is okay, as it does not leave a residue, but it only holds lightweight items, so please don't depend on it as your only method to hang your items up with.

Outside lights on the balcony are starting to be banned due to sea regulations.

Other Information:

Please do NOT use anything that leaves a residue behind. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.

That means scotch tape or duct tape or contact paper or Velcro. Do NOT use it.

Inside the cabins: Ceilings are magnetic. Side walls are slightly less magnetic, so use a stronger magnet for the walls.

Decorating Contests are NOT part of each cruise, nor sponsored by Carnival. It is at the discretion of the Cruise Director if they choose to have a contest on a sailing. Some private FB groups may choose to have a contest, but not all of them.

I love your door decorations!

Thank you!!!!!! I didn't realize they had door rules. I really appreciate the information. That would have been awful thinking that a magnet would hold the banner up. :mad:

I did finish the door banner. It measures 16" x 36" so I think that will work. I think it turned out pretty good.

Looks great! The blue poster putty will hold it up perfectly!

How did you make the door hanger? I love it

Thanks. They did turn out cute! But I can't take credit for it. I ordered those and the timelines off of Etsy.. I was afraid to make the door hangers. They were pretty reasonable.

Edited by Bestdayever

I love the door banners! I would love one for our door, but I know that I would have to put it up and I'll be too tired for that. I was thinking of doing door hangers as well, but I'm wondering if it will get confusing or mixed up with the one's Carnival already has .

I love the door banners! I would love one for our door, but I know that I would have to put it up and I'll be too tired for that. I was thinking of doing door hangers as well, but I'm wondering if it will get confusing or mixed up with the one's Carnival already has .

I put our up when I went to the room to get dressed. It honestly took me all of five minutes to decorate our door. I had the stuff in my carry on. I had the door hangers in my carry on also and I hung them on the doors nearest our cabin before I slid into my dress and then gave the other two out at dinner that night.

Well we are down to 12 weeks. Seems like it will be here before we know it.

I did a few crafts this weekend. My daughter wanted a shadow box. So I designed their last name into a emblem ( monogram type) …established 2015 etc. Bought a top loading shadow box. Used my silhouette to cut out the vinyl. Then put the vinyl on the glass and used etching cream. It turned out really awesome. I also ended up making them coaster with the same emblem. You print on tissue paper. And modge podge onto the tiles. The tissue is thin so you can’t see on the tiles. I think they turned out pretty good also.

A little about my silhouette cameo. I LOVE THIS THING, It is one of the best $260.00 investments I have made. You can do so much with it. My daughter actually wanted the Cricut. I started looking at reviews. The thing that sold me on the silhouette is you DO NOT NEED to buy cartridges. You can actually design something and import into the software and cut. LOVE LOVE LOVE. The vinyl is so much fun to work with. I have made so many projects with it. I have had it for over a year now. Knock on wood….no problems so far.

So I don’t think a weekend goes by without me making something. With it being winter..it keeps me busy. I did a bunch of tags this weekend. Thank you tags for the bridal shower favors. Tags for the welcome bags, tags for the lanyards….ect. I think I am tagged out.

My daughter wanted me to do reception cards. Just so everyone knows where to be. So ended up doing those also. My pile to take to her in April is growing. She is transporting everything to the cruise. They are driving and only have the 2 of them in the car. I will have 4 in our car and will not have the room. So I need to get my stuff done and get to her in April. I just keep adding things on to my list to keep me busy.

I did buy my nephew a few things for his welcome bag. Had to get glow sticks. Like what child or adult doesn’t like glow sticks. Bought enough that he can share with other kids if he so desires. I also designed and printed out on vinyl a zombie for his water bottle. My daughter has his bottle with her. So I will put on the bottle when I see her in April. I had bought some candy for his bag also. And back in the fall I had bought a beach towel for him. I would also like to buy him a snorkel set. Not sure what else to put in his bag.

Does anyone have anything special that they put in a childs welcome bag?

image1-2.jpg.574f6af72a2927439f4aafdc0ed0aa93.jpg

image1-3.jpg.82bbd91166392e98628c0dc66cb3b6bf.jpg

Edited by Bestdayever

• 2 months later...

It has been forever since I have been on here. Not a lot has changed. The wedding is in 4 weeks. We are ready to go. All of our paperwork has been sent to Carnival. There really isn't much to do except pack and get on the boat :)

I will say that this whole process has been very easy. Carnival has been great to work with. We are just hoping everything works out smoothly once we are on the cruise. I am sure it will.

We had the bridal shower last weekend. I will post a few pictures of that.

I guess I probably won't be back on here till after the wedding. Will let everyone know how it went.

_DSC04611.jpg.fafbc6c96d5e7024a2f4a67acacedc02.jpg

_DSC04741.jpg.032589c2ef36cb8b9277fe25efd6e456.jpg

• 1 year later...
I know this was a long time ago but how did the wedding go?!

Apparently very well-- I read the whole thread yesterday and was disappointed that she never updated the thread -- but if you click on her user ID and search all her posts, she did make a short update post elsewhere in the forum

I know this was a long time ago but how did the wedding go?!

She actually did post a review of the wedding, It's titled something like Carnival Glory reception. It looked really nice. This was a great review.

<3 Crystal