Shore Excursions - book now or wait to book on board

kohlepe

We always book ahead of time, just Incase a specific excursion we want to do sells out.

Although they do keep some back to book onboard.

Advantage of booking ahead of time, smaller bill when you settle your seapass account.

We have done it both ways over the years, early days always booked onboard and we missed a couple we really wanted to do.

So we now book ahead of time.

Will also depend on the itinerary and popularity of specific excursions.

I.e whale watching in Alaska, sometimes groups are 12 max, so for that we booked 10 months in advance as soon as the excursions opened up.

IMO if there is something you really want to do, and it is a must not to miss, would book ahead of time. JMO

Happy Days!

Have a great cruise:)

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking about waiting until we get on board to book a shore excursion to Atlantis. We wanted to wait and see what the weather brings. Can you book the day you get on board for the next day?

Sure, as long as the excursion is not full.

I always book before boarding, that way I can look at the poor schmos in the long line at the Shore Excursion desk on Day 1 with pretentious glee while admiring my pre-purchased excursion tickets waiting for me in my stateroom. :p

But seriously, if it's something you really want, book before boarding.

If you've got OBC and have a few different excursions you would be happy with, or haven't made up your mind, book onboard.

If you absolutely gotta make sure you get the excursion you want book ahead.

I've done it both ways without any problems.

We will be sailing on RCL for the first time in January and have already fully paid our cruise.

If we book (reserve) an excursion online prior to sailing, will it appear on our cruise account when we board or do we have to pay for it now?? Also, do we have the opportunity to cancel it within a couple of days of the excursion departure date (with no charge), similar to the procedure that Princess uses??

We will be sailing on RCL for the first time in January and have already fully paid our cruise.

If we book (reserve) an excursion online prior to sailing, will it appear on our cruise account when we board or do we have to pay for it now?? Also, do we have the opportunity to cancel it within a couple of days of the excursion departure date (with no charge), similar to the procedure that Princess uses??

Anything you book before the cruise has to be paid immediately with a credit card.

You can cancel 3 or 4 days (forget the exact number) before the cruise and get a credit to your credit card. After that, you can cancel on board up to 24 hours before the excursion, and you will get a credit to your onboard account.

Edited by clarea

Anything you book before the cruise has to be paid immediately with a credit card.

You can cancel 3 or 4 days (forget the exact number) before the cruise and get a credit to your credit card. After that, you can cancel on board up to 24 hours before the excursion, and you will get a credit to your onboard account.

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find the details on the RCL site and thought the above might be the case. As we have been to the ports on our cruise previously, we'll make a decision about the tours later and take our chances for any selected ones once onboard.

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find the details on the RCL site and thought the above might be the case. As we have been to the ports on our cruise previously, we'll make a decision about the tours later and take our chances for any selected ones once onboard.

Depending on what ship you are considering, you may be able to book excursions using the interactive TV in your stateroom. This way you could avoid the line at the Explorations desk.

Are there some excursions that are held until the cruise? We sail in Feb. on Enchantment to the Bahamas. The Blue Lagoon excursions are not listed on the website. (only see Atlantis).

I just saw a review from someone just off ES in Oct with the excursion PDF posted and it still has BlueLagoon Beach Day, Dolphin Encounter and SeaLion Encounter.

Hope RC still offers this in Feb. ......we were looking forward to it. :)

Are there some excursions that are held until the cruise? ...

I've not heard of them having different excursions offered on the ship than are available pre-cruise.

Edited by clarea