Stiches

10ormore

Just take along a small pair of sharp scissors and tweezers. Sterilize the scissors and tweezers then snip the stitch and gently pull them out. After removing the stiches spread some antibiotic cream on the incision and cover with a band aid. I have done this couple of times when I could not get to a Dr. It does not hurt and is pretty easy to do. Most Dr. offices bring a non-nurse to remove stiches. I normally never see the Dr. for removal.

How can one sterilize instruments on a ship where guests are not permitted to have heating elements?

I'm a nurse. I wouldn't recommend people taking out their own sutures without the doctor instructing someone how to do it. You have to cut them correctly or a bit of the material will be left behind. You also don't want to pull the long end through the wound. This could cause infection. It is easy. Just needs to be done correctly.

Perhaps on the ship/line you have cruised, but other lines call them Doctor (who handles both guests and crew), Nurses, and Medical Admin.

We are talking about Holland America here. There is no Medical Admin, the Lead Medical Officer looks after the Medical Center.

We are talking about Holland America here. There is no Medical Admin, the Lead Medical Officer looks after the Medical Center.

In addition, HAL has a doctor for crew and a doctor for guests. Certainly, when needed, both treat whomever may need care. There is always a Lead Nurse and a varying number of other nurses depending upon size of ship etc

I do not know if I could.:(

Awe, you can do it. I've taken out my share of stiches over the years from people and animals.

How can one sterilize instruments on a ship where guests are not permitted to have heating elements?

It's called Alcohol, Sails.:D

I hope I never have to find out ... but I'd probably go to the Med Center. Don't think I could see well enough to do it myself, and there is no way I would let Mr Chew near anything delicate with scissors or other sharp instruments!!

I don't think I've ever had anyone other than a Doctor remove stitches, either for me or my kids or for Mr Chew

Awe, you can do it. I've taken out my share of stiches over the years from people and animals.

It's called Alcohol, Sails.:D

Is that antiseptic enough for a wound deep enough it required stitches?

I always think of high heat/boiling water for other than professional sterilization equipment. However, I don't have a bit of medical training other than OJT as homemaker. :) ;) :D Would a bottle of vodka or scotch do the trick? :D

Edited by sail7seas

Stitch removal - ease depends on the stitch used! If it's single with knot for each, easy enough. If it's a running stitch, much more complex & easy to screw up! Have the office give you a suture removal kit & then have the clinic on board take it out. If you decided to do it yourself watch a u tube video specific to the type - 3 or 4 times. My medical ins would cover it on board if I had it done, don't. Know about yours... Have to pay then get reimbursed after....

Is that antiseptic enough for a wound deep enough it required stitches?

I always think of high heat/boiling water for other than professional sterilization equipment. However, I don't have a bit of medical training other than OJT as homemaker. :)

Its good for any equipment that you want to sterilize for using to remove the stitches. Usually by the time you remove stitches, the wound should be significantly healed, other wise you would not be removing them.

My Doc used super glue (or what ever it is called:))

Wonderful stuff.

I have had two Open Heart Surgeries and both times my surgeon closed the long incision with glue. :) I was amazed but it was great.

No stitches.

Though not as much fun as the alcohol option, ;):D you could use the flame from a disposable cigarette lighter.

Though not as much fun as the alcohol option, ;):D you could use the flame from a disposable cigarette lighter.

:D :D Here we go........ a Smoking thread. :D

Only a smoker is likely to have a disposable cigarette lighter handy. :cool: