Tender question

Stefanosthecruiselover

Is it possible to miss Grand-Cayman (or any other port) due to a lack of tender boats. When we will be in Grand-Cayman there will be 5 ships with us. I am worried we won't be able to dock, since there are more ships than usual. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The ships usually supply there own tenders.

Is it possible to miss Grand-Cayman (or any other port) due to a lack of tender boats. When we will be in Grand-Cayman there will be 5 ships with us. I am worried we won't be able to dock, since there are more ships than usual. Thanks :)

When are you going? I see there are 5 ships in the day we are there too. Total passenger load 18,000+. There's only one other day in June, I believe, that has that many. Never been there, but we decided to book our excursion early with that many people invading the island!

When are you going? I see there are 5 ships in the day we are there too. Total passenger load 18,000+. There's only one other day in June, I believe, that has that many. Never been there, but we decided to book our excursion early with that many people invading the island!

Where do you check how many ships will be there? I used to know, lol. :o

Don't worry. Each cruise line has contracts with Tenders so that there will be specific tenders servicing your ship only. You'll be more likely to miss the island because of weather.

5 ships in Grand Caymen is not an extreme load. 2 is nothing...4 is about average for a day. You'll be fine. KEY: Remember at which pier your tender drops you off. (There are three very near each other). Where you get dropped off is where you'll get back on.

Don't worry. Each cruise line has contracts with Tenders so that there will be specific tenders servicing your ship only. You'll be more likely to miss the island because of weather.

5 ships in Grand Caymen is not an extreme load. 2 is nothing...4 is about average for a day. You'll be fine. KEY: Remember at which pier your tender drops you off. (There are three very near each other). Where you get dropped off is where you'll get back on.

Thank you. I will be there in March. How do you think the weather will be?

We've had up to 11 ships visiting in one day, IIRC. All the tendering was taken care of. A mere 5 ships is nothing to worry about.

Some ships routinely use their own lifeboats for tendering. Others contract with a local company to provide the service.

Thank you. I will be there in March. How do you think the weather will be?

It will be nice, most likely. It's the water/waves/wind that will prevent you from tendering. We've been there when it was gorgeous outside, but the seas were too rough to tender, so we had to sail on by. One other trip we tried at the regular anchorage. After about an hour, our ship and one other, sailed around to Spotts and were able to tender there. unfortunately for the other ships, they can only tender one or two ships there, so three ships had to sail on and have a sea day.

It was cool and windy that day and although we were able to get off the ship, everything on land was cancelled (water tours) due to the weather. We didn't even want to beach it because of the cool winds. We just shopped around town, went to hell, had a few drinks and headed back to the ship. Disappointed that we couldn't do our excursion, but happy we made it ashore.

Out of my 10 or so cruises into Grand Cayman we've only missed it once. That's pretty fortunate. It's one of the most "missed" ports in the Caribbean because of the weather. Unfortunately we missed Jamaica on this trip as well. It was NOT a good weather cruise. Late Feb. and 60 and windy. The only nice day was in Cozumel. We could not even use the pools on the ship it was so chilly. It was strange to see everyone on the pool deck under blankets.

It will be nice, most likely. It's the water/waves/wind that will prevent you from tendering. We've been there when it was gorgeous outside, but the seas were too rough to tender, so we had to sail on by. One other trip we tried at the regular anchorage. After about an hour, our ship and one other, sailed around to Spotts and were able to tender there. unfortunately for the other ships, they can only tender one or two ships there, so three ships had to sail on and have a sea day.

It was cool and windy that day and although we were able to get off the ship, everything on land was cancelled (water tours) due to the weather. We didn't even want to beach it because of the cool winds. We just shopped around town, went to hell, had a few drinks and headed back to the ship. Disappointed that we couldn't do our excursion, but happy we made it ashore.

Out of my 10 or so cruises into Grand Cayman we've only missed it once. That's pretty fortunate. It's one of the most "missed" ports in the Caribbean because of the weather. Unfortunately we missed Jamaica on this trip as well. It was NOT a good weather cruise. Late Feb. and 60 and windy. The only nice day was in Cozumel. We could not even use the pools on the ship it was so chilly. It was strange to see everyone on the pool deck under blankets.

When did you sail and what ship?

• 2 weeks later...
So says you! It got down to the low 70s a few times in the last couple weeks! That is freezing-our-butts-off weather for Cayman! :D

ANd when we were there in lat FEB the year we had to tender in from Spotts, it was only 68F......and windy!! We all wore sweatshirts!!