Island to Alaska with Pictures (part 2)

cworld

That sound you just heard was me screaming at my television. Yes, life as we know it is over. Any time now the trumpets will sound or something. The world will come to an end. Be prepared. There is no tomorrow. What are we going to do now?

Until then, (with taps playing quietly in the background) go Rams.

Oh Carl. When I saw those Big 12 scores, my first thought was of you. Well, maybe my first thought after 'Cool. Chalk up a Tigers win.' and 'Black Bears almost got the Huskers.'

I suppose I'll have to get you a break for supporting the Rams. Now, where do you stand on baseball?

Oh Carl. When I saw those Big 12 scores, my first thought was of you. Well, maybe my first thought after 'Cool. Chalk up a Tigers win.' and 'Black Bears almost got the Huskers.'

I suppose I'll have to get you a break for supporting the Rams. Now, where do you stand on baseball?

Yea, what a day for the Big 12. Ugh. I have to root for CSU. My grandmother lives in Fort Collins. I've even got a CSU sweatshirt. As for baseball... Been an Astros fan since they signed Nolan Ryan.

Hey, Carl. I’m sure your asking. Why on earth did you spend all of your time at the Mendenhall Glacier in the Information Center? They have some great walking trails, you can go right down to the water and see the ice up close, but you spend the whole time up in the air conditioned building.

Yup.

Why?

Because of the sign.

What sign?

The one on the trail.

What trail?

That trail over there, by the water.

What did it say?

It was scary.

Scary?

Yup.

How was it scary?

I dunno, It was just scary.

What did it say?

It said somethin’ like, “If you pass here, you might be eaten.”

Eaten?

Yup.

Eaten by what?

Big massive killer bears.

Massive killer bears, the sign said massive killer bears?

That’s what it said, “Watch for Massive packs of ferocious killer bears. They eat live tourists”.

Are you sure?

Well… it was something like that.

OK so maybe I’m exaggerating a little… but I’m not used to taking vacations where the attractions snack on the tourists. Truly, (don’t you know when someone starts a sentence with the word truly that what’s about to be said is not going to be true) there is a walking trail that goes off from the viewing area that has a sign that warns about bears. It even tells you what to do if you see one. (Run faster than the person you’re with.) This is not my idea of fun. I don’t want to see a bear, unless there is a very big fence between us. Yes, I’d like to see a bear in the wild. But only if I’m far enough away that I don’t have to worry about having to outrun someone so the bear won’t eat me. I don’t run very fast.

Here are a couple of pictures I found on the Mendenhall Glacier Information Center’s web site. This is scary.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/419328125/442983665rAhwoR

http://community.webshots.com/photo/442984627/442984627qhpUFk

http://community.webshots.com/photo/442984686/442984686MmBRZi

Those are real live, not the Rodent World kind, living, breathing, people eating, bears, and they are regularly seen on the trails by the Mendenhall Glacier. Hey, Carl you’re not at Rodent World. This is the real thing. Real is a lot more exciting than that faky stuff you’re used too. Yeah, but it’s not as reliable.

We didn’t see a bear. Nobody on the bus saw a bear. (Really it was too early in the year to see bears. The salmon weren’t running so there wasn’t any food for the bears to come after. And I guess tourists are probably too much trouble. So no bears.)

After about 57 minutes at the Mendenhall Glacier, we trudged down to the motorcoach loading area and waited for Ms. sultry.

Going on a bear hunt,

Wanna come along,

Oh Kay

All Right

Let’s go…

It’s coming

Are you ready?

It’s gonna be big

Life as we know it will never be the same

Is it really possible?

Okay, I've resisted as long as I can. Passing along a sports headline seen somewhere in Big 12 North country:

Sooners not all they're croaked up to be!

Sad day for the Rams too. Sonny swallowed the apple, Justin Holland showed why he's at CSU and not some major college program, and the dope smokin, coed molesting, granola eating, earth shoe wearin, tree huggin weenies pulled out a victory over our beloved Rams.

A quick note on bears: While staying on the Kenai Penninsula the Mrs. Tee and I were discussing the possibility of hiking to the Russian River Falls to look for salmon jumping up the falls. Mrs. Tee says "what if we see bears and they chase us?" Me being me says "No problem dear, I can run faster than you." Not exactly her most hoped for response. We passed on the hike.

War Rams!!! Peace....Out

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a couple of days. I've had some distractions. I also have to attend a class in Florida for the next two weeks, and I don't know what kind of internet access I'll have down there. If I have access, I'll post something Sunday night, if not, I'll be back around the 24th.

Again, I'm sorry, and thank you for your Patience.

Carl

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a couple of days. I've had some distractions. I also have to attend a class in Florida for the next two weeks, and I don't know what kind of internet access I'll have down there. If I have access, I'll post something Sunday night, if not, I'll be back around the 24th.

Carl

Be safe, Carl. We'll all eagerly await your return.

Carl

A class in Florida??? Is that your story and are you sticking to it???

Bill

Hey Carl. We're back from our Alaska journey and waiting to hear the rest of the story (Paul Harvey voice). We saw a juvenile LLLLL breach 4 times in a row south of Juneau, and boy o boy, it was awesome. As for trails that bears share with you, DH and I hiked one at Exit Glacier outside of Seward and the chalkboard at the start of the trail noted that two bears and a moose had been sighted on the trail the day before. Intrepid explorers that we are, we did hike the trail but sang "a Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall" as loud as we could until we felt pretty goofy. It was beautiful and we saw no animals (or other humans for that matter) other than a pretty little magpie.

ok went on the cruise and came back and two weeks later carl isn't out of junieau yet. Oy!! Btw thanks for the pictures of the whales, we went whale watching and saw close to eight huge humpbacks. Gorgeous creatures!!! however i couldn't get a picture of one of them because every time one popped up, everyone ran to that side of the boat and I was one of the shortest on the boat!!! but over all i had a good time.

Hey Carl. We're back from our Alaska journey and waiting to hear the rest of the story (Paul Harvey voice). We saw a juvenile LLLLL breach 4 times in a row south of Juneau, and boy o boy, it was awesome. As for trails that bears share with you, DH and I hiked one at Exit Glacier outside of Seward and the chalkboard at the start of the trail noted that two bears and a moose had been sighted on the trail the day before. Intrepid explorers that we are, we did hike the trail but sang "a Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall" as loud as we could until we felt pretty goofy. It was beautiful and we saw no animals (or other humans for that matter) other than a pretty little magpie.

Which Exit Glacier hike did you do? The shorter one just to the glacier or the supposedly long steep one to the ice field. I would like to get in good enough shape to do the long one, but I was wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks.

Carl:we are missing your stories from aboard the Island Princess ....hope class is going well ...we PATIENTLY

await your return. Mrs cworld-taking care of a 16yr son isnt always easy,

even so, it goes by so quickly-i miss those years w/ my son -mind you, at the time I never would have dreamed I would one day say that! :) enjoy. Liz

Hey Carl, since you'll have nothing to do when you get home, ;) could I pick your brain a bit about Rodent World? I haven't been in 10 years, now have a new set of kids (9, 9 and 11) who've never gone, and we're planning for next spring. (In your spare time of course to zachnlucy at yahoo dot com). :)

zachnlucy - I'm sure Carl has lots of great pointers to Rodent Land. Did you know about the board similar to this one for Rodent Land. Check out disboards.com if you haven't already. Lots of great info there. There are quite a few differnt sites but that one is my fav. I LOVE talking about WDW and if you would like to e-mail to me I would be happy to answer any questions I can. I've been a few times myself and I'm always in the planning stage for my next trip (in this case I'm planning for January)!

Karla

Hey Carl, since you'll have nothing to do when you get home, ;) could I pick your brain a bit about Rodent World? I haven't been in 10 years, now have a new set of kids (9, 9 and 11) who've never gone, and we're planning for next spring. (In your spare time of course to zachnlucy at yahoo dot com). :)

Cindy, Sent you a PM.

PS I'm home, feels good.

Archived