Ziplock bags ?

Hi again,

I remember a while back some people were talking about packing clothes in ziplock bags.

What type/size of bags are these, and where can I get some? Also, do you just fold 1 item and put it in a bag, or do you put a couple in each?

I'm not a very experienced packer... LOL

Melissa icon_smile.gif

You can get the two gallon ones at Walmart or Target. Or, you can order the space saver bags online. Some people swear by them. I personally only use them for underwear. I think they wrinkle other clothes. I just iron everything and pack it nicely with dry cleaners bags in between.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93,11/95

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99,11/00,06/01,02/02,05/04

Navigator of the Seas 12/02,11/04

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

For DH and my undies, I go to the dollar store and buy the zip-loc baggies. I can fit 6 pair of his undies in one and then I just toss the baggie. I place our undies in zip-locs because of the new TSA at the airports. If they need to access my luggage, I sure as heck do not want them touching my undies! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Same here. I use the two gallon bags and pack as much as will fit in each one. Anything that I don't want wrinkled goes in the dry cleaner bags.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I have also found the packing bags at Target, in their clothing care section, not the luggage section. The box comes with 3 bags for around $10. You put your items in, zip the zipper, then roll the bag to squish (is this a real word?) out the air. I also don't put clothing into bags that I would worry about wrinkling, I wonder how that myth got started. Only undies, bathing suits, jammies, etc...

Packing cubes and the wallet type packing bags also work great. I have one for each member of the family, these are perfect for casual clothing. I alway pack with the thought that, if they have to search our bag, everything won't fall out in a heap.

Kathy

Hi ladies - I use the space saver bags for dirty clothes. During the week we just toss our dirties in there, then "squish" it up to come home...don't care if they're wrinkled then! I like the ziplock bags for undies and stuff too. I agree - I sure don't want anybody else putting their fingerprints on my lingerie... icon_wink.gif

We just got back from our first cruise. I used the 2-gallon ziplocks for undergarments, but I also used them for casual T-shirts and for my husbands freshly laundered, folded linen shirts and his freshly drycleaned silk/cotton blend T-shirts. I folded each shirt so that it was just slightly smaller than the bag, put two in each bag, then put the bag on a hard surface (dresser top) to press the air out, and zipped them up. I did this for some and left some out of bags in another suitcase. The items in the bags stayed less wrinkled because they did not shift as much in the suitcase. They kept their shape. The only "wrinkles" were the creases from the folding on the linen shirts. But as soon as I hung those up, the creases fell out. I also did this for a couple of my cotton skirts and it worked beautifully for those as well.

Also, FYI - I could not find the 2-gallon bags at my Target so I ordered them online from the ziploc website.

Good luck everyone!

Carol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation - Dec 11 2004 - Southern Caribbean

Summit - May 7 2004 - S. America Panama Canal

I packed for three of us for our trip to the Med last summer. The bags were great! Cotton t-shirts wrinkled some, but that's the miracle of Downey Wrinkle Reducer -- I'll never travel without it!

We reused some of the bags for packing sunscreen etc for day trips to the beach, others got reused to cram the clothes back in the suitcase at the end. Only problem was that I could pack more at the beginning and our suitcases weighed a ton.

The best thing was that we'd used them for our carry-ons as well. When we got to the BA check-in, our carry ons were too heavy and we had to redistribute. icon_redface.gif I was soooo glad stuff (especially the undies!) were in ziplocks!

Ann

When I first started packing in plastic bags I packed like items in each bag. My undies in a bag, DH's underwear in a bag, T-shirts in a bag, etc. This didn't work out too well with pre-stays. Now I pack outfits in each bag. For example, capris, top, undies in a bag. For hubby, dockers, shirt, socks, underwear in a bag. Some things I do leave on hangers with dry cleaner bags which really helps with unpacking.

I too like to pack outfits in bags. I have sons and my husband isn't great either at getting the right socks, shirt and shorts together. This helps me have a "no brainer" vacation without being asked "what socks should I wear with this? and where are they??" I even put my "fun" jewelry in the bag with my outfit. A bit of tissue folded with things that tend to wrinkle, really helps keep things nice.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Archived