Need suggestions on snorkeling in St.Thomas&St.John

TitanAmazon

As the first time to visit, I'd like to know which is your recommendation for snorkeling in St. Thomas and St. John? I read several options like Coki, Saphire, or Trunk bay, which one is better?

I want to see as much fish as I can!

Also a tour for snorkeling is considerable.

I highly recommend going to Coki. The snorkeling there was simply amazing and I seen things I had never seen there before (and I snorkel everywhere I go). It's so easy to do on your own and no sponsored tour need at inflated prices.

I have a full review of our day there with TONS of pictures (especially of the snorkeling there) in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I highly recommend going to Coki. The snorkeling there was simply amazing and I seen things I had never seen there before (and I snorkel everywhere I go). It's so easy to do on your own and no sponsored tour need at inflated prices.

I have a full review of our day there with TONS of pictures (especially of the snorkeling there) in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I did read your reviews and that's the reason that I consider Coki, as I didn't put it into my list before:D

This is the tour we did last week. It is not a ship sponsored tour. There were 5 ships in port the day we did this. Captain Mike took us to Buck island and we saw many turtles. He timed it so that we arrived when another boat was leaving and we left before over 200 people from ship sponsored tours arrive. It was an excellent excursion. When we left the area there have to be over 230 people in the water.

http://www.usvisailing.com/daysails.html

The ship sponsored tours are almost always over packed as the lines take most of the money so that in turn the operators try and get as many on as possible. ;)

Edited by janetz

As the first time to visit, I'd like to know which is your recommendation for snorkeling in St. Thomas and St. John? I read several options like Coki, Saphire, or Trunk bay, which one is better?

I want to see as much fish as I can!

Also a tour for snorkeling is considerable.

Depends on the day you're in port really (how busy it is). On busier days I'd avoid Coki and consider a quieter spot like Cowpet. Or as you mentioned take a daysail to the cays off STJ with a small group on Yacht Nightwind or High Pockets perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in St Thomas last week on the Glory and did the helmet dive at Coral World. I love to snorkel and prefer from the beach because i wear glasses so i like the shallow water. I love the helmet dive! More expensive option but amazing amount of fish and coral all so close up and with my glasses on. Coral world is somewhat attached to Coki beach and we could see that the beach was quite crowded by the time we were done with our "dive"

I have also been to Trunk Bay (via a ship excursion as i went by myself) and really enjoyed the snorkeling there . It was not very crowded the day i was there (in Feb2012) but i don't recall how many ships were in port that day

We visited Coki beach in March, snorkeling gear at the ready. Beautiful beach, but absolutely heaving with people, the busiest beach ever! Worth considering other options?

Yes, definitely. Sapphire and Secret Harbor are the other prime snorkel options on STT. SH is also a smaller bay and so can feel crowded, Sapphire has more room to spread out. Both are home to condo properties so no vendors like at Coki but both have the amenities you would want.

And Cowpet Bay is a much less busy option with good snorkeling, not sure about snorkel gear rentals there though if you don't have your own. You can probably Google that.