Fantasy Embarkation questions

Greysea74

My mom and I are leaving next Wednesday on the Fantasy. My mom is on portable oxygen and we are curious what we have to do do with her portable oxygen bottles. We were also wondering if we have to go up a large ramp or do we get on the ship at a lower level, she will be on a scooter.

You should probably contact Carnival's Special Needs department. Boarding in Charleston is a bit of an adventure in it's own right.

I've boarded there where we entered on the lower deck (below Riviera, where you exit in ports), but I've also boarded where we entered the Lobby deck, which entailed a long walk up a long ramp.

No idea how they'll handle the oxygen bottles with the shuttle or how to get the scooter on the shuttle.

My mom and I are leaving next Wednesday on the Fantasy. My mom is on portable oxygen and we are curious what we have to do do with her portable oxygen bottles. We were also wondering if we have to go up a large ramp or do we get on the ship at a lower level, she will be on a scooter.

For what is worth, this is from the Carnival Website:

Guest using Oxygen or other breathing apparatus are responsible for traveling with their own supply of Oxygen and medications. Guests need to bring enough Oxygen to last the duration of the cruise; oxygen supply onboard the vessels are for emergency use only.

If you choose to hand carry your oxygen, packing oxygen cylinders and/or tanks in your luggage is strictly prohibited, as is putting them through security x-ray machines. Please hand-carry your oxygen machines (BiPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, Nebulizer, etc.) and not place them in your checked luggage.

The Medical Center is equipped with oxygen for emergency use ONLY. If you will require the use of oxygen during your cruise, you must arrange for an adequate supply to be delivered to the ship on your sailing date. (Likewise, all guests undergoing CAPD (Peritoneal Dialysis) must arrange for the delivery of solutions and supplies.) Please contact Guest Services once onboard for proper storage of your oxygen. All guests are responsible for the pickup and delivery of their oxygen. Please have your medical supply company contact us, otherwise port clearance may not be granted.

As the poster above suggested you may want to get in touch with Carnival.

I don't know if you have them already, but here is the Carnival Special Needs email

specialneeds@carnival.com

and here is the Port of Charleston

South Carolina Ports Authority Cruise Line

Telephone: 843–958–8298

E-mail: cruises@scspa.com

Hope you get some solid answers.

Thanks to you both. I contacted Carnival and they sent me a form to fill out. Hoping we do not have to go up the steep ramp. New batteries for the scooter, just hope they don't die on her with the steepness of the ramp.

The agents at the port temrinal in Charleston last December were the friendliest I have ever encountered. I was just in a shoe/ boot after having foot surgery, and they pulled me (and DH) out of line without me even asking for help (I wasn't even planning to ask). They had me take the lower entrance where the crew boards. I bet anything they will let you both board via that entrance, and if they don't say anything then I wouldn't hesitate to ask. They were truly so friendly and ready to help anyone who looked like they might need it. My Dad, who is going with us this coming December on the Fantasy, has neuropathy (can't feel his feet at all), and he is planning to contact Special Needs and ask to board on the lower deck to avoid the ramp too.