What type of cruiser are you? MDR vs Specialty

http://www.lubys.com/

Nothing wrong with Luby's but when I want a cafeteria style experience, I'll go there.

I just sailed last Feb on Royal and did NOT find the MDR experience to be anything like a low-end buffet restaurant! We were very pleased! But then again, everyone goes into a cruise from different backgrounds and experiences. What may seem like low-end to one person, may not to another. My husband and I dine out about once a week at home, and do not eat at terribly expensive restaurants (hubby retired and I am sole breadwinner!!), so when we are served several courses of food we wouldn't ordinarily get at home, we enjoy it thoroughly. I will report back my findings after our next Royal cruise this coming Feb on the Oasis. We will still have MDR, as DD does not go into effect until March. And I was reading a lot of negative posts from those that sailed her on the TA out of dry dock. But it seems like there was still a lot of construction and venues that were not open yet. Hopefully by Feb, all that will be resolved. We are sailing with our 2 sons and their families. One son has only sailed on a small Carnival ship 14 years ago, and the other son, an older Carnival ship 7 years ago, so I am hoping Royal will WOW them! This will be my 8th cruise, 2nd on Royal.

I am hearing a lot of complaints from people that feel Royal is becoming sub-standard. They cruise several times a year, and have earned a lot of perks. And now they feel those perks are diminishing. I'm sorry if that is happening to you. I know what it is like to try to earn something, and have that dwindle (case in point: no raise in 6 years, worse and worse health insurance offerings, and no 403K match in 3 years, too late in the career to change jobs-and a retirement date that now seems too far away than only the 1 year I hoped for.) Sorry-- I had to vent. Hard to feel sorry for those that complain about petty things--like cruise perks, but I really do understand--when you are promised something if you cruise exclusively with a line--and then they don't fulfill those promises.

mdr one night in chops

Ditto!

We bail for formal nights but love, love, love the social aspect of the MDR. I like my servers to know my preferences and with one exception, we have had brilliant table companions. We are generally rushing down at 8:30 to hear about all the daily adventures and enjoy dinner with our newest friends.

I enjoy the service and attention that I get in the MDR, but I'm at the point where I want some different food. 5 cruises in a row, 5 prime ribs on the first night. It was the only thing that appealed without dipping into the everyday options.

Raid the kids menu. Have the macaroni cheese. See how many envious stares you collect. :D