What not to wear

hstrybuf

Had a friend who was on a cruise and they had

t-shirts made....

First let me set the stage this is a family of 3 and the aunt....DH, wife and aunt in the mid 40s....son around 11 or 12......they are real fun folks w/ a great sence of humor...and they are well there is no other way to say it...HUGE

I am an 18 and I am the petit one by a long shot

Anyway the DW decided that they werenot going to be the butt of anyones joke but their own..

the T-****s read

THE PHATT FAMILY REUNION

from what I understand most folks did not have any idea how to react......but they had a blast w/ folks reactions!!!!

puppy_tea_e0.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till the ELATION on Margaret's 21st B-day

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if my words will do it justice but I will try. On our last cruise this one woman had a variety of odd outfits but she did save the "best" for last! It was a short ~ very short~ puffy black skirt. She had on a beaded pink and black stripped tube top. She had big 80's hair and a lot of make-up. She looked like a giant pink and black bumble bee.

Disney Wonder 9/00

Disney Magic 9/01

Disney Magic 9/02

Monarch OTS 1/04

Disney Magic 5/04

Oh boy yall are fun. Think Ill hang out here more than the RCCL forum.

The couple that looks like they are going to work in the garden, you know the stained t-shirts with the cotton shorts and dirty shoes.

On a formal night a young woman with skin tight shiny spandex pants on and a thin fabric halter and no bra...my step dad called her nipples!

Oh boy could I go on.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Voyager of the Seas!

Voyager 10/04

Rhapsody 10/02 03/02 1/02 11/01

Elation 10/99

Grandeur 09/97

• 2 weeks later...

On my cruise, there was a table of middle aged women right behind mine...the first night of the cruise, they were all dressed age appropriate as well as figure appropriate, but OH MY did that change by night two.... These women (all of whom were at least 15-20 lbs heavier than they should be) wore what you'd expect to see walking around a street corner charging $$ for ummm yea you know.... I swear one night I think I saw nipple...so scurry!

My personal fav that can be seen on every cruise.....

You've all seen them......you know who they are.......

WHALES (male and female) IN BIKINIS who are so at peace with their bodies that they want to share it with everyone. (These people are usually Non-American and dont have the hang-ups that Americans have) Bikinis are for the few and far between bodies that are in perfect shape. I am not fat-bashing here (God knows I have some of my own) but there are more appropriate and flattering suits for those who'd like to keep the "goods" under wraps.

I was on the QM2 in April and during one of the informal nights a guy I had struck up a friendship with rolled into one of the bars before dinner wearing a very nice dark pin-striped suit, yellow striped polo shirt and white sneakers! I was mortified to be seen talking to someone (especially under the age of 40) who would come out in public dressed like that. He was generally very well turned out on the other nights. Don't know what got into him except he said that if the older male passengers could wear white sneakers with suits (I never saw it) than so could he.

Also saw a woman on the QE2 sitting on the deck chairs in her black trousers and black lace bra with all her goodies clearly visible!

I often wonder if people look at themselves from behind with the mirror. I've never done a cruise, but at a resort during my spring break a middle aged woman came out to the pool wearing a shiny silver bikini and when you looked at her butt, it looked like she was trying to smuggle cottage cheese from the lunch buffet by stuffing it in the back of her bikini bottoms and the shiny silver material accentuated it all. It was so disgusting that I had to laugh to keep from being physically sick.

Here's to not looking like we're hiding dairy products in our bathing suits!!!

...and try to be charitable at least in my words if not in thought :p . I am sure there are things in my wardrobe that I feel absolutely stunning in but there is someone out there saying "omigawd how can she go out in public in that?". I am amused by people's "originality" of outfit selection and interpretation of suggested dress, but I don't want to be too hung up in appearances of others, their appearance really can't spoil my good time, they only contribute another memory (or this thread would have died infancy!).

The couple in the square dance outfits were also on a cruise with us. They are either the US or World champion square dancers.

The worst I have seen on any ship -- The topless sunbather with a nipple ring.:eek:

Most memorabe --

The 1950's style prom dress, strapless with the big hoop skirt on a 70 year old, and different dress for each night of a 14 day cruise (I would not want to pay her excess luggage fee).

No one in particular, but lots of women don't dress their age. You know what I mean when it's a middle-aged woman in a dress that's too young, but a lot of younger women my age (I'm 28) dress really matronly. I see 20-somethings in outfits that they probably borrowed from Granny; the only reason is I suspect that they think formal means stuffy.

:confused:

So glad I hopped on the board tonight-needed a good laugh! When I read about the pastel tux's I had to think of a music group I was participated with in the 70's-the band wore powder blue tux's with deep blue velvet lapels and big clip on bow ties. We could'nt give them away when the group disbanded. Now the last couple of years around prom season the local news reports that the same style is "retro hip" and are the first to be rented out!

I am always amazed at people wearing (now guy's I am not singleing you out, but you are the majority of offenders) the oldest, threadbare, faded out concert t-shirts that may have fit 30 years ago when the band was hot (pre tanking, pre appearing on a "whatever happend to" special, pre a VH1 "Behind the Music" documentary and their short return to retro/nostalga popularity) but don't fit now/aint gonna fit ever/is beyond use as so much as a dust rag.-a side note ladies, my preventative measure regarding this was to wear my husband's during the latter stages of my pregnancies and "accidentaly" stretching them out of shape:>

Now a quick question-am I going to be posted on this thread if I follow my husband's suggestion when we cruise in few weeks? Dear husband thinks it would be great for me to wear on embarkation (and esp. just following the life boat drill) my cast t-shirt from a recent production of "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"-the t-shirt shows the Titanic striking the iceberg (note-we're cruising in Alaska).

Will let you know of any great fashion sightings upon our return.

Believe me...I am not knocking "plus size" women as I myself am a "fluffy" person...but while in Jamiaca in May there was a rather large woman in a basic 1 piece bathing suit. But when she turned around...her belly was poking out from her leg holes!!!! And what really floored me is that she was with another lady!!! PLEASE !!! I hope my friends would tell me if something was showing that shouldn't be!!! It was probably the worse I have ever seen!!!

I hate to see women in low-rise, hipster style jeans/shorts and the really short tops with rolls of belly hanging over the waist. It looks great on J-Lo or Brittany but if you don't have the abs, don't do it!!! :eek:

Amen, Martini Mama! That is disgusting looking. I'll be glad when they go out of style!

I also hate seeing women/girls wearing the tight t-shirts with an ill-fitting bra so that their fat is bulging out around the bra and you can see all the bulges through the t-shirt. I wear those type of t-shirts, but I make sure my bra fits when I wear them. I don't like to look like a stuffed sausage.

Natalie

• 2 weeks later...
[color=magenta][b]You guys crack me up! I am sitting here in my office reading these posts and laughing so hard that I am in tears... In walks my boss with a not so happy look on his face. Since I am supposed to be working on profit and loss statements for the quarter (absolutely NO humor in those) it is kinda difficult to explain what is so funny... :D Somehow I don't think he would find the fluffy people in bikinis stories very humorous... [/b][/color]
[color=magenta][/color]
[color=magenta][b]We cruise (for the first time) on the Grand Princess in 18 weeks & 4 days... I am brutally honest with my Mom when she pulls out something that would land her on this thread... I can only hope she will be the same way with me... :p[/b][/color]

[font=Century Gothic][/font]I also hate when I see women wearing a top with spaghetti straps and you can see their bra straps underneath. It might not be as bad if the bra is the same color as the top, but usually it's a white bra strap which is wider than the spaghetti strap. Do they not think we can SEE the bra strap??:confused:

Also, instead of wearing a smooth bra under a tee shirt they wear one with lace so they look like a bumpy roadway. Target sells cotton bras pretty cheaply, even a sports bra would be better!

Sharon

[quote name='bythehex'][font=Century Gothic][/font]Also, instead of wearing a smooth bra under a tee shirt they wear one with lace so they look like a bumpy roadway. Target sells cotton bras pretty cheaply, even a sports bra would be better![/QUOTE]

:eek: My sister ALWAYS wears lace bras; I can see it through her shirt every time!

There was the woman in her mid seventies with an angel top (didn't make it to her waist), short shorts, panty hose and shoes with balls as heels--not to mention the ball earrings on a long chain.

Then there was the woman who wore a different wig most every night, with clothes suitable for someone 50 years younger. Her off the shoulder blouse (with ruffles) exposed a bra with a rhinestone strap---too bad it was filthy! Not to mention she put the moves on every guy on the ship (especially the crew-who ran if they could) she even goosed the waiter while she was seated at out table--the perils of freestyle!!

I have been reading the posts about the women wearing 80's clothes and the men in thier colored tux. Would you rather have dinner with one of these people, or someone in blue jeans and t-shirt as seems to be the latest trend?

I have a green sequin formal with large shoulder pads that I bought for our first cruise. My husband loves the dress and doesn't realize it is out of style. He wanted me to wear it on our SA cruise, but I declined and took my recently purchased formal wear. We are going to the Caribbean in Feb and he is already asking if I am going to wear it. My question, do I wear it for hubby and ignore the fashion police? Or do I conform and wear the ones I purchased last Dec? Or buy new to be sure I am wearing the latest?

[quote name='NYDee']I have been reading the posts about the women wearing 80's clothes and the men in thier colored tux. Would you rather have dinner with one of these people, or someone in blue jeans and t-shirt as seems to be the latest trend?

I have a green sequin formal with large shoulder pads that I bought for our first cruise. My husband loves the dress and doesn't realize it is out of style. He wanted me to wear it on our SA cruise, but I declined and took my recently purchased formal wear. We are going to the Caribbean in Feb and he is already asking if I am going to wear it. My question, do I wear it for hubby and ignore the fashion police? Or do I conform and wear the ones I purchased last Dec? Or buy new to be sure I am wearing the latest?[/QUOTE]
[b]Since your hubby loves you in that dress, why don't you see if the shoulder pads can be removed? I have several dresses that I love, but the big shoulder pads made them outdated, but I removed the pads without any problems with the drape of the dresses. If you aren't going to wear it amymore anyway, it won't hurt to see what would happen without the pads. Then you can both be happy:) [/b]

I tried taking the shoulder pads out and it really didn't look right. I even tried putting some smaller ones in and that didn't work. Besides, who wears a green sequined dress anymore. I call it my mermaid dress!

Archived