What not to wear

hstrybuf

Why are you keeping that dress! Get rid of it, it's not going to look any better on you no matter how long you hang on to it. Plus, if you don't feel good about what you're wearing, how can you feel beautiful? Why don't you take DH shopping with you to select a new formal? There is bound to be another dress out there that he will love you in. I do think it is very sweet that he loves your old dress, it probably brings back some very fond memories.

To answer your first question, I concern myself more with what the person is like, rather than what a person is wearing.

He likes my other formals. I purchased 3 new ones before our 2/04 cruise. He agrees they look more elegant than the green sequins. He just happens to really like it. I am 99% sure I won't take it. We do go to black tie events during the year so I have the opportunity to wear formals for more than just cruising. I won't discard the mermaid dress since he likes it. Maybe it will come back in style! Should have kept my bell-bottom, hip huggers from the 70's! However, I read in a fashion magazine if you wore a particular style the last time it was popular you are too old to wear it the next time.

There is no taking DH shopping! I go shopping, then we have a fashion show for his opinion. It is only for his opinion though. Since I spend more on clothes than I should, I don't show him everything. Then I will dress to go out in something I haven't shown him. He will say, "I don't remember that."

I do not consider myself trendy--but hopefully a classic soccer mom.
Talbots is my fav store--especially the sales!! (I found that I can go in the week before the sale and buy what I want w/ best selection then go in during the sale and they will make price adjustments--woo hoo!)
BUT best deal is Dillard's fall "garage sale" in Sept.: top price is $12.99. And you know that selection of gowns/cocktail dresses is usually pretty good in medium-sized midwestern city, so Mom and I go every year. Luckily we are the same size! (darn, keep trying to change that....). Anyway, we have bought several black cocktail dresses (all w/ a bit of classy sparkle) that way, along w/ a great red linen tank dress.So keep your eyes out for that sale if you are in an area w/ Dillards. Always on the look out for cheap dressy sandals, too.
Now, if I could just figure out how to get the linen to the ship w/o wrinkling....
Kristin
PS Bought a new Miraclesuit in late June--decided I needed selection more than price, since I need support....anyway, left tags on, and just found that they had marked down suits. Took it back, and they adjusted the price--nearly half off of a really expensive suit! DH had been threatening to buy a new driver to match the cost of that suit! HA! Where's he gonna get a driver now!!?? Gotta love a good deal!

[color=magenta][b]IMHO - Who gives a rat's @$$ what everyone else thinks.[/b][/color]
[color=magenta][/color]
[color=magenta][b]You live, sleep, & wake up with your hubby! If he loves it on you (and you love it on you) then wear it! I have a green sequin dress too. It actually IS a memaid dress... I wore it to a prom like event in college and then my Mom transformed it into a mermaid costume for a job (I worked in one of those restaurants where the staff dresses in costumes)... If I could still fit into the size 2 dress - I would be tempted to wear it (mermaid or not) just cause I could get into it... Now THAT would be something for everybody to write about... :D [/b][/color]

Thanks Jamie for the support. My main point of my post is exactly what your are saying. There are a lot of reasons passengers may wear blue tuxedos or green sequin dresses with big shoulder pads. I would rather share the dining room them than the man in torn blue jeans and an obscene t-shirt. The blue tuxedo and green sequin dress are in keeping with the dress code.

I am ready to retire the Mermaid dress, but not discard it. Maybe I will fix DH a nice candle light dinner for his birthday and have the fromal on when he gets home from work.

I really enjoy dressing up on a cruise and seeing DH in his tux. But it is getting to be more of a hassle every time we fly to get through security expecially with a lot of luggage. So we are trying to determine how to cut back on the amount of clothing for a cruise, especially the 12-14 day ones.

I agree with JDK...you go for it!! If that's what you want to wear! You're still following the appropriate dress code. Who cares what the "fashion police" at the next table have to say! And if you've got the body to pull it off... DO IT! IMHO...dressing for DH usually has its rewards later in the evening...if you get my drift!!!

[quote name='NYDee']Thanks Jamie for the support. My main point of my post is exactly what your are saying. There are a lot of reasons passengers may wear blue tuxedos or green sequin dresses with big shoulder pads. I would rather share the dining room them than the man in torn blue jeans and an obscene t-shirt. The blue tuxedo and green sequin dress are in keeping with the dress code.[/QUOTE]
I'm SO glad this thread has taken this direction, it had started to bother me with all the making fun of people and unkind comments it contained. I'm just as bad as the next person to look at people and wonder what they were thinking when they got dressed, but there is a fine line between being amused by the folks who think wearing their square dance costumes is cute and being mean spirited about someone's choice of dress.

I just got back from a long weekend in New Orleans. Yesterday (Saturday) we were eating brunch at the Court of Two Sisters, when a woman (about 30-35 years old) walked by wearing a white jersey knit camisole tank with the shelf bra built in, black jersey knit shorts with a drawstring, black pantyhose, black high heels, carrying a huge real Louis Vuitton bag. She looked kind of European, but was dressed oddly... I didn't understand the casual top and shorts with pantyhose and heels. Weird combo...

And the best one of all yesterday.... there were 3 teenage (17-19 years old) walking behind us in the Canal Shops Mall. They were all 3 wearing strapless knee length solid color dresses (one blue, one black, and one pink dress). When they walked past us I noticed the one in the pink dress had split her dress up to the bottom of her butt in the back, was oblivious to the increased split and was taking huge strides. I am sure by the end of the day her butt was exposed if her friends did not notice it first. I wanted so bad to go tell her, but my Mom started laughing and said don't ruin her day.... I'm sure there were some happy men following her around for the rest of the day.

Natalie

My husband who has a comedian act wants desperately to wear his "Fred Fulawnie" costume. It's his bib overalls with the BIG Duct Tape X on the seat of the pants, no shirt, cowboy boots & his gold tooth hillbilly teeth. Anyone think this will go over in the dining room??? LOL

[quote name='NYDee']There are a lot of reasons passengers may wear blue tuxedos or green sequin dresses with big shoulder pads. [/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point. Hopefully I will remember this thread and think twice before judging anyone's attire.

Got a question for all you ladies. I will be going on my first cruise with my future wife as our honeymoon this September on Grand Princess to Canada/New England. The whole cruise thing is a surprise, so I'm wondering if any of you might have suggestions on what to tell her to pack (yes I already checked, there is no way she's letting me do it. I'll mess up the clothes combos and land her on this list), that won't give too much away. Thanks

Here's the best thing we've seen on formal night: A whole family of 6-8 (both adults and children) dressed in matching black wind-suits with their family name embroidered across the backs of the jackets. Remember how everyone wore "shiney" jackets in the 70s? The whole windsuit was that 70s type material. We had to giggle a bit -- they'd obviously gone to some trouble to buy these matching outfits for the cruise, and I suppose they would've been cute for embarking -- maybe. But on formal night!

[[color=darkorange]QUOTE=Sundog]Got a question for all you ladies. I will be going on my first cruise with my future wife as our honeymoon this September on Grand Princess to Canada/New England. The whole cruise thing is a surprise, so I'm wondering if any of you might have suggestions on what to tell her to pack (yes I already checked, there is no way she's letting me do it. I'll mess up the clothes combos and land her on this list), that won't give too much away. Thanks[/QUOTE][/color]

Have your intended pack for two different areas. One for the Islands, and one for a little cooler weather. Formal nights should be the same, so pack in a different bag. Have her pack shorts, swimsuits, sundress, etc in one bag, and warmer clothes in another.

OR...have her put clothes combinations out and you do the packing at the last minute so she doesn't know where you are going.

OR...You could take all of the clothes to a friends home and have her lay out all of the clothes and you can pick and pack there so that she wouldn't know what was being packed.

Just a couple of ideas

Jahla

NY Dee,

If a good tailor can remove the pads and update the silhouette of the dress then go ahead and do it.

If not, then keep the dress as it is and wear it for your husband at home, alone, for a special romantic evening. He'll appreciate it and you won't have to appear in public in a dress that's way out of style.

Jane

[quote name='NYDee']He likes my other formals. I purchased 3 new ones before our 2/04 cruise. He agrees they look more elegant than the green sequins. He just happens to really like it. I am 99% sure I won't take it. We do go to black tie events during the year so I have the opportunity to wear formals for more than just cruising. I won't discard the mermaid dress since he likes it. Maybe it will come back in style! Should have kept my bell-bottom, hip huggers from the 70's! However, I read in a fashion magazine if you wore a particular style the last time it was popular you are too old to wear it the next time.

There is no taking DH shopping! I go shopping, then we have a fashion show for his opinion. It is only for his opinion though. Since I spend more on clothes than I should, I don't show him everything. Then I will dress to go out in something I haven't shown him. He will say, "I don't remember that."[/QUOTE]I do that, too. He'll say, "Is that new? I dont' think I've ever seen it" My reply, "Oh, really? You bought it?" He gets this blank look on his face like, "Oh, no, I've old timers." I don't add that what I meant was he paid for it.

I think those stretch pants ought to be outlawed. I dont' mean the new ones with a tiny bit of spandex, I mean the 100% polyester that show every bulge. I used to work with a woman that had 100 pairs at least and they were all one size too small. She was about 5'2" and weighed 300+. Those were the most awful looking things. Everytime she stood up I could see everybit of her cellulite. GROSS. I am lucky, I have good genes and dont' have a lot of that but I wouldn't wear those things.
Remember, ladies, nothing, but nothing we ever come up with fashion wise could ever compete with the Speedo for men in the grossness area. I dont' care how cute his butt is. I have a lady friend that invited her then boyfriend on a boat outing with us and he was past his prime to say the least and he showed up in a Speedo. Needless to say, that ended that relationship. Do these men not have mirrors?

What drives me crazy is when you see the "larger ladies" and they have NONE!! A LOT of it must be hereditary. I've always had it. When I was younger (much) and weighed in at about 115, on my 5'9" frame, soaking wet, I still couldn't cross my legs in shorts because the cottage cheese thigh was so bad. I'm now a "larger lady" and can't wear light colored pants because you can see the dimply mess on my @ss. That's just WRONG!!!

Anybody ever tried those creams? Did they work?

I have the same problem, LoriLinay. At my skinniest, I was 5'5", and 117 pounds. I had just gotten out of boot camp, and remember b*tching, "Oh great. I don't have boobs or a butt anymore, but I still have that damn cellulite!"

As for creams, I've tried a few different ones, from really expensive to really cheap, and they didn't work (at least not for me). But if someone has a miracle cream that's worked for them, I'm willing to give it another shot.

Archived