Dunns Falls Straw Market

We will be climbing the Falls for the first time. Not sure why we waited until now to do this. My question, is the straw market worth going through? For years I read how it was the only way to leave the Falls. Then I read there is an exit to the far right at the top of the Falls. Are the locals still aggressive? Anything you can share would be great. How about tipping the Falls guides - how much, how many are helping you, etc.?

kenlorjus

Yes, they are still very aggressive. You can bypass the straw market. When you get to the top of the falls, there is a "V" in the path, right where they are selling pictures taken of groups on the falls. I thought it was the left path that you take to go directly back to the entrance. Just ask at the photo place - tell them you are late for your cab or something. They may give you a little grief at the entrance - they did to us. Just tell them you have to meet the rest of your group that has already gone out.

I believe we tipped our guide $10. It was a large group, and he was little help to us other than taking some pictures for us with our underwater cameras.

verrrrrry agressive!!!! and dont shake their hands!!!!!! I turned around and there was DH shaking their hands AND buying t shirts!!!!!!! I didnt let it bother me in Labadee or anywhere else...but these vedors were relentless.....

as for the guides.I think I tipped them 20 each...when we went it was terrfiying....the water coming down on you was sooo strong--i climbed up on all 4's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the guides were very helpful and the rocks were so slippery..I left there with lots of bruises....

and....there were plenty of ambulances taking people tp the hospital...so be careful!!! the heavy water was due to the storms that were there the prior weeks...

Are u doing water tubing??????????????? It is really beautiful.....i wanted to do it 2x!!!

Have a great trip

When we went to the falls in Sept 2003 on NOS, we just kept walking down and were NEVER bothered. In fact, I hardly noticed them. Just look straight and walk fast. You are through in a matter of minutes. My BF is usually the biggest sucker for pushy vendors, but he got through without looking at anything!

I, too, just walked through and was not bothered. If you don't want to buy anything, don't look around, just walk right out. They will call to you, but we weren't touched or bothered at all (and when I went, we were a group of 8 college girls). I LOVE Jamaica and can't wait to get back. :)

We were with my brother and his wife and got sucked into that... It is something you gotta do once, but once is enough... We were staying at Sandals and had a taxi waiting for us after we finished climbing the falls. We only had a few extra bucks on us, didn't want to carry a lot of cash up the falls, getting wet etc. Anyway none of us had any money left by the time we got out that straw market. Have a very nice carved wood fish in my family room to show for it (name carved on the bottom and all that). We had to have the taxi driver wait after he dropped us back at Sandals, run to the room and get his taxi fare. You sorta feel like you've been raped after going through that place...but we always laugh about that day.

We took Peat Taylor and when we arrived back at his bus after going through the market I commented to him that the vendors there actually HURT themselves by being so aggressive. Our party was 21 people and would love to browse and take their time, but we ran out of there like the place was on fiire because of the way they literally attack you. With mostly Americans coming through, someone has to teach these vendors that their tactics do not work well in the long run with us. You know why these vendors are so desperate? Because everyone runs out of the place afraid.

BTW, concerning the thread's question... yes, they post all these exit signs to make you go right and down through the market. You can see the gate you entered through straight ahead. Just go straight to it and ignore the exit signs.

Archived