Transportation to the Port: using Amtrak

gracecarmo

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I am currently thinking of taking Amtrak from Kansas City to San Pedro. It is a 33 hour trip, and we would get a bedroom compartment.

Has anyone ever done this type of trip? The cost would be a little more than air travel.

Pros and cons anyone?

Grace

I hope this is the correct forum to post this. I am currently thinking of taking Amtrak from Kansas City to San Pedro. It is a 33 hour trip, and we would get a bedroom compartment.

Has anyone ever done this type of trip? The cost would be a little more than air travel.

Pros and cons anyone?

Grace

I have taken the "Southwest Chief" from Chicago to LA, its a great ride, I would suggest arriving a day or so early. Although the schedule is padded for time, it can arrive late. We actually arrived early.

If you have the time train travel is a nice and relaxing way to see the country. Amtrak has a cruise n rail deal with carnival and Holland cruise lines.

I have done some traveling on Amtrak--and love it! My most recent trip was Cincinnati to Chicago; Chicago to San Francisco; San Francisco to Seattle; Seattle to Chicago; Chicago to Cincinnati. Wonderful trip and it was done during the Winter, so the scenery through the mountains was magnificent.

I had a single bedroom and while OK for one, I really think it would be very cramped for two. A deluxe bedroom is much more suitable for two people. Plus, you would have toilet facilities right there in your room.

Every meal in the dining cars was very good to excellent and service was usually very good/excellent as well. I recall only one dining car Steward(not a waiter) who seemed rather indifferent in doing his job.

I second the previously made suggestion that you arrive in Los Angeles a day before sailing on the cruise. Trains do run late--sometimes very, very late. Arriving a day early will reduce any possible stress and concern about getting to your destination on time.

Are you qualified for any discounts on train fare? AAA or senior citizen discounts are available for train fare only--not on the fare for the bedroom accommodations.

Thanks Matagari and akacruiser for answering. The only drawback I have now is that the train leaves Lawrence at 12:30 am, and if it is very very very late....well, sitting in the little archaic waiting room would not be fun, in the middle of winter.

I wonder how these waiting rooms are staffed? Think I will go down and see, but when I go past the building it looks like it is out of the past!

Then, there is a 4 hour wait at the station in LA. I wonder if there is anything worth seeing around the station?

We would get the bedroom with the bathroom facilities, and be eligible for the senior citizen rate.

It would be an adventure too...

Grace

I would have to agree, I haven't done any train travel for a long time, but when I did the trains were always late, and sometimes very late. A train from New Orleans to NYC could be very very late. I would not take chances and arrive the same day.

I don't know if there are any real pros, when I did the train ride, it cost me as much as a first class air ticket would have, didn't see anything really. I did it because I didn't want to fly because of my ears. If my ears would not bother me, I would never have taken it. I would have flown would it not have been for my ears.

They may have improved train travel and the sleepers, but I was not comfotable in the sleeper, of course back then there were no portable DVDs or anything, but I was bored to tears.

It could very well be better these days and if you are not travelling alone, it could be fun but I would absoultely arrive a day earlier.

Bon Voyage and have an absoultely wonderful time however you decide to travel, I wish you safe, healthy and happy travels.

Hi Grace,

I don't recall anything very interesting around Union Station in Los Angeles, but the station itself is interesting and has satisfactory seating areas for waiting passengers.

Having departed and arrived into Cincinnati on Amtrak, I am familiar with the late, late night departures and early, early morning arrivals. It is not convienent, obviously, but, in my opinion the trip itself makes the poor timing of the train's arrival and departure something that I can accept.

If you are interested in booking a Deluxe Bedroom(the ones with private facilities), be aware there are fewer of them per sleeping car than the Standard Bedrooms. Don't wait too long to book or you may be disappointed in finding them sold out.

Re when to book the deluxe bedroom: Is 6 months away a good time to book? Our trip would be on Feb.12.

I am also concerned about a cancellation, say, in case we have to cancel the cruise, or the cruise cancels us! Is there a refund policy I can read on the web? (can't locate one, but maybe I am not at the right menu).

I have decided to just to a return trip, post cruise, from LA back to Lawrence. We will fly into LA 2 days prior to the cruise.

Also: does anyone have information about the best way to get from San Pedro to Union Station in LA? The Amtrak bus leaves at 4:40, and that would be a long time to wait in San Pedro with luggage. I would rather spend the time in LA.

Grace

Hello Grace,

Yes, booking 6 months or so out should be OK. Amtrak fares are often like plane fares anymore: the further you are away from the date of travel when you make your reservation, the better is the fare.

Amtrak's refund policy is spelled out in detail in their timetables, if you can obtain one of them. You could call 1-800-872-7245 which will connect you with their Refund Department. Check the details carefully to make certain you are comfortable with them.

I checked Amtrak's website to get the above phone number. I have to believe that the refund details are on the website somewhere, but it is not obvious where. I did a "search for refund information" to get the phone number.

I hope this helps and let us know what you decide to do.

Hi, I live here in the LA area, and do you realize that the train station isn't anywhere near the San Pedro port, you would have to taxi to the port and that gets fairly pricey especially if you run into a traffic jam on our lovely freways :(. the area around Union station is not the greatest and you would not want to be arriving there late in the evening or staying anywhere near there. So you would need to book a hotel out of the area or go to the San Pedro area right away or Long Beach which is not far from San Pedro area. If you have not been to LA before it can be a bit daunting, it is a huge sprawling city , so thing again if you want to do the amtrak.

Cori

Archived