UBP for one

Greek66

My brother and sister in law are sailing with us next month on the Star. She is pregnant and cannot drink. However she wants to surprise her husband with the package for his birthday. She faxed a doctor's note to the number provided this morning. In addition she wrote a letter to the affect that she is sending a copy of the note. Her letter included all the info the cruise line wanted, reservation number, phone number etc. but the doctors note was written on a prescription note pad with her name and his written comment about her condition. She sent her letter followed by the doctor's note. I'm worried because she did not write the reservation number on the doctor's note they may not tie the two together. She is a new mom to be and new cruiser. I'm trying to help her, but I think she may have done something wrong. The doctor's does gave her name on it.

The next problem I see is paying for it without him knowing. Can she call them and give them her credit card? It's there emergency credit card, but she has the cash saved to pay it off.

I hope I made sense. She is young and asked me to see what someone will know.

My brother and sister in law are sailing with us next month on the Star. She is pregnant and cannot drink. However she wants to surprise her husband with the package for his birthday. She faxed a doctor's note to the number provided this morning. In addition she wrote a letter to the affect that she is sending a copy of the note. Her letter included all the info the cruise line wanted, reservation number, phone number etc. but the doctors note was written on a prescription note pad with her name and his written comment about her condition. She sent her letter followed by the doctor's note. I'm worried because she did not write the reservation number on the doctor's note they may not tie the two together. She is a new mom to be and new cruiser. I'm trying to help her, but I think she may have done something wrong. The doctor's does gave her name on it.

The next problem I see is paying for it without him knowing. Can she call them and give them her credit card? It's there emergency credit card, but she has the cash saved to pay it off.

I hope I made sense. She is young and asked me to see what someone will know.

I do not think that this is something that is routinely done. She might be better off buying OBC in the amount of the cost of the UBP.

Actually, many posts have suggested it CAN be done ( two were the exact same pregnancy example) but only at the port.

I'll add that I wouldn't find it very amusing to have my husband drinking unlimited drinks all day for an entire cruise when I wasn't drinking at all!;)

I figured out how to pay for it. She will pay me the cash and I will use my credit card. My brother does not check the trip details. He doesn't even know the password to get on. My sister in law will print all the e docs and keep in her possession.

That would be great except, from all I read, they won't do it under any circumstance in advance. At the port only. They could check in, she could get up to use the ladies room, go over to the beverage counter in the port with her paperwork and do it there

I've never seen a place at the port where this could be done, it's always been in the ship's atrium.

Actually, many posts have suggested it CAN be done ( two were the exact same pregnancy example) but only at the port.

I'll add that I wouldn't find it very amusing to have my husband drinking unlimited drinks all day for an entire cruise when I wasn't drinking at all!;)

Some ships and bar managers may make exceptions to the rule, but more often than not we read about these types of requests being denied. The UBP exists only to make the cruise line money and they obviously make more money if both in the cabin buy it.

I spoke woth a woman on board who has a special needs child. She brings a doctor's note with her and buys the UBP for she and her husband. She told me she has not been able to get it before the sailings, has always had to bring the note and purchase on board.

Kathy

Edited by spacewoman

Many times there will be dozens of posts on a topic stating one thing. Then along comes one person that is contrary. The one post will then be used as an example for years to come of the "I just found a post saying it's ok". In general, the option to only get one package for the room is not allowed. You can ask on board for an exemption, but be prepared to have it denied and don't be upset/disappointed if it happens. It is against NCL's stated policy, so if you get it done, you will be one of few.

Try to board with an open mind. Almost certainly it will not be approved in advance, but by someone on board.