flying to San Pedro

MJC

We are visiting Belize on Princess and are going to book an independent tour to San Pedro by plane for Hoi Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Would love to hear from previous visitors any tips or advice, especially what to bring (we have our own snorkel gear), and what your experience with the timing was... how long did each leg take? The standard tour they offer is 5 hours. Thanks!

I posted this same query on another thread, and one person has responded. They tried to do the ferry from Caye Caulker and missed their opportunity because tendering from their ship took so long.

We will have priority tendering so I am not worried about getting to the dock in a timely fashion, except for possible weather delays (which is a risk I understand and am willing to take).

Anyone done it by plane? Would love to hear your first-hand experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Very easy to do.

Take a taxi to the airstrip should pay 10us for two passengers.

Two airlines in Belize. Tropic Air and Maya Air.

Flights leave every hour on the half hour to San Pedro.

Taxis and tours can pick you up at the airstrip.

Return to the city is every hour on the hour.

Flight is 20 minutes.

Just back on the Carnival Sunshine. I was a single/ solo cruiser mid 40 male.

I booked the Shark Ray Alley Snorkel via Shore Excursioneers by Air.

Tendering was slow to the port and I missed my original 8:30 flight to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye. This was not a problem as the excursion just started a little later as I caught the 9:30. Approx 15 minute plane ride to San Pedro. Met at the airport by Canton our guide and walked to the Aqua Scuba Center on the beach. Once paperwork was taken care of, we were off!!

First stop - Hol Chan Marine Reserve. During our 45 minute snorkel we spotted moray eel, southern rays, spotted eagle rays, several sea turtles and a fairly large barracuda. More fish than I can remember.

Second Stop was at a conch cleaning spot where a local fishermen was tossing the conch from it's shell to a waiting Loggerhead Turtle. Spotted 3-5 rays in this area as well.

Last Stop was at Shark Ray Alley. Wow!!! On arrival Canton threw several chopped up fish overboard and in no time there were between 15-25 Nurse sharks competing for lunch with other fish and rays. The largest one's were between 9 and 10 feet. We hopped in and over the next 30 minutes were surrounded by these beautiful (and docile) creatures. Just don't put a finger out for them to suck up. They are much like catfish in their disposition and feeding technique. The grand finale was a large spotted eagle ray turning vertical and launching itself about 5-6 feet up and out of the water to try and remove a pesky remora.

5 out of 5 stars for the company (shore excursioneer) the service provider (Aqua Scuba) and the guide Canton).

Going by air also leaves time to grab lunch at a beachfront restaurant before heading back to Belize City, the port and then your ship. Water taxing out takes approximately 75-90 minutes each way.

Do not miss this experience!

We're looking at that one as well. Seems to be well worth the money compared to a boat ride to the islands (reviews here are mixed about that boat ride, guess it depends on ocean conditions). 15min to get there sounds much better to me ;)