Question about Cash

TexasCruiz

I can understand the frustration of being stopped at the gangway on the way out and sent to the financial dept. It happened to me once. I was calm because I knew that there's no problem with my credit card, but my bf was really mad because we needed to catch a flight. When I came back I told him that it was their mistake and my cc was ok, he started yelling they should apologize for embarrassing me in public. I wasn't embarrassed, mistakes happen. He didn't do such a scene tho. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Okay....just to clarify. We are on a cruise this December. It is a big group and a couple of people in the group do not have credit cards. We all have prepaid the DSC and as well prepaid for some other things, excursions, specialty restaurants etc. So technically it is possible that no more money needs to be spent once on the ship. Because the DSC has been prepaid plus a few other things, how much money will these people without credit cards have to put on their accounts. Can they just put down $100 and if and when they spend that much add more to their account?

Thanks.

Of course, as alluded to earlier in this thread, if one were tight on cash, they could always go to the guest services desk

a day or two before the end of the cruise and have the DSC completely removed. They will ask why and ask you to sign a form indicating the reason, but they will honor your request.

How about going to guest services, and requesting an apron? j/k :p

Not to hijack the thread, but I prepaid my service fees. Do they show as a credit on my onboard account and then just reduced daily by the $12 PP?

If you pre-pay, the DSC simply does not show on your daily invoice, simplifying your statement/bill.

Hello,

I'm a new cruiser from Texas,

Will be sailing with NCL on the west coast.

I'll be paying cash for my on board deposit as I don't want to link my credit card to my account.

I was wondering, what happens if at the end of the sail, I don't have enough for DSC on my account?

How was the move from Halifax?

I don't think they can detain you from non-payment of the DSC as it isn't a law.

They deduct $12.00 per day per person in your room (if the person/people in your room is connected to your 'cash' account. They don't wait until the end of the cruise to deduct this. So, if traveling with another person $24.00 per day will go against your 'cash' account.

Harriet

They deduct $12.00 per day per person in your room (if the person/people in your room is connected to your 'cash' account. They don't wait until the end of the cruise to deduct this. So, if traveling with another person $24.00 per day will go against your 'cash' account.

Harriet

So the sure way is to pay the fee upfront incase you drink away your whole 'account' lol!

So the sure way is to pay the fee upfront incase you drink away your whole 'account' lol!

Yep, I prepay so when I get on the ship I know 'I'm done'!

I only have to worry about what I actually 'charge' to my account this way.

Harriet

In response to the question, what do they do if you cannot pay a balance due at the end of the cruise -- unpleasant story from about 8 years ago, so not sure if handled the same way today. But we were on Royal Car. and in a foreign port on the last day of the cruise. Husband had on shorts and asked me to put wallet in purse. Had purse on back of chair in a restaurant and swung around to sit on my lap, I got distracted, and the next thing I knew, it was gone. All our credit cards, debit cards, cash. Fortunately, our passports were in the room safe, along with a small amount of cash, but I had to cancel the credit cards, and of course, that included the one I had used for our on-board account. They were very nice about it, allowed me to use the phone in pursers office to make calls to cancel the cards, and even arranged for transportation to the airport the cost of which was added to my onboard account, but by the time I finished making the calls, they had a Promissory Note all ready for us to sign, a notary type person to stand there and witness my and my husband's signature, and the note had a clear confession of judgment clause in it if payment was not received within a certain number of days of arrival home (meaning that I was giving them the right to confess judgment against me in a court they chose and without the ability to defend in the amount set forth in the Note). It was obvious that the form of Promissory Note was a standard form -- they must encounter that situation more frequently than I imagined. We will never make that mistake again. We each carry one card, and leave at least one other one and some cash in safe when we leave the ship. Very unpleasant way to end a very nice trip.

Terry

This happened with a friend I took on my last cruise. He gave me a little cash, so I put him on my Sail and Sign account with CCL. Last day he has some medical issue and goes to see the doctor. For a check up, some medicine and something else he got charged $540. I didn't have that to spend at that time, and told him to take it off my account. He signed a note to pay it in the purser's office. I don't know what happened, but I assume he paid it off.

I thought that was a rip off to charge that much for something a Nurse Practitioner would have charged $80 for.

I thought that was a rip off to charge that much for something a Nurse Practitioner would have charged $80 for.

I know, I came down with a head cold, a couple days into the cruise. Tried to go to their sick bay. They were supposed to be back from lunch at 1pm, weren't even back until 1:20. Then I find out it is $110 just to have the doctor look at me/talk with me. More if he give me any medicine.

Years ago, I sailed on The Big Red Boat (Premier Cruise Line), and got sick. No charge to see the doctor and get some over the counter medicines.

Okay....just to clarify. We are on a cruise this December. It is a big group and a couple of people in the group do not have credit cards. We all have prepaid the DSC and as well prepaid for some other things, excursions, specialty restaurants etc. So technically it is possible that no more money needs to be spent once on the ship. Because the DSC has been prepaid plus a few other things, how much money will these people without credit cards have to put on their accounts. Can they just put down $100 and if and when they spend that much add more to their account?

Thanks.

There may be a minimum deposit that you have to make if you're using cash. For debit for a weeklong cruise, they wanted $300 per cabin. I'm guessing you'd have to call the cruiseline to find out what the cash minimum is.