cruising indian ocean

ozzibean

hi cruisers, completed our first cruise in september on regal princess,in the med, it was lovely, we may have spoiled ourselves, as now looking at a much smaller and older ship sun princess that operates out of australia. it is a 46 night indian ocean and south african cruise, it is 12 months away yet, but before i deposit this, i wondered if anyone out there could give me any idea as to whether the sea will be too rough in that part of the world Jan/feb, (our summer months). thank you, ozzibean

We did this cruise 3 years ago and we never hit bad weather until the coast of South Africa. The captain re arranged the ports of call to avoid the worst of it and we were all happy sailors and still visited all ports.

This is an amazing cruise to do and is usually only available every two years.

The Seychelles was my most amazing port of call to date and still my favorite place on earth. Beauty you cannot describe.

The Sun princess is a smaller ship and is more Australian on the food menus but we never had a problem finding something to eat.

Would consider doing this cruise again in the future.

We did this cruise 3 years ago and we never hit bad weather until the coast of South Africa. The captain re arranged the ports of call to avoid the worst of it and we were all happy sailors and still visited all ports.

This is an amazing cruise to do and is usually only available every two years.

The Seychelles was my most amazing port of call to date and still my favorite place on earth. Beauty you cannot describe.

The Sun princess is a smaller ship and is more Australian on the food menus but we never had a problem finding something to eat.

Would consider doing this cruise again in the future.

On that cruise we left Fremantle on the 3rd May. That meant we were in India in the worse time of year ('build-up' to the monsoon) and in South Africa in the winter when it is usually wet. I think the new itinerary that starts on 8th January is in a much better time of year.:)

We sailed Sydney to Cape Town on an even smaller Princess ship (Ocean Princess) which left in March this year. While our itinerary was different, we had smooth seas all the way until just outside Cape Town.

It's a fantastic itinerary. We loved Reunion - just make sure you book an excursion even though they are expensive. The scenery around the volcano area (Piton de la Fournaise) is absolutely amazing so every person on our ship who had done an excursion that we spoke to, were blown away. In this instance, it's best to book through the ship as taxis are hideously expensive and scarce. Reunion is considered to be part of Metropolitan France so it's totally different to say the Seychelles or Mauritius.

We loved the Seychelles too, but Reunion was IMHO much more interesting.

Be prepared for any sort of weather in Cape Town - even the locals can't predict what it will be like. Great stop with plenty of interesting things to see.

You will love this cruise so enjoy! :)

In any part of the world, the seas may be great one day and horrible the next.

We were on a Trans-Atlantic and the ocean was as smooth as glass. Hard to tell that we were even moving.

The Captain told us that another Process ship was on the same route but ahead of us by two days and they had storms and rough seas most of the way.