Rio over Christmas.

swabs

Greetings all,

We are seriously considering taking the Cape Town to Rio cruse leaving Cape Town on 9th Dec 2015 and before I book I am "doing my homework" - all part of the fun!

Our thought was to stay in Rio and take the RSSC Ultimate Rio package before flying home to the UK.

However this would mean we would be in Rio Xmas Eve and Xmas Day.

Having looked up on the net the places one would visit as part of this package ( can only look at 2014 at present) when doing a mock booking the calendar shows them not to be open on 24th Dec and 25th Dec eg Trip to Sugar Loaf Mountain and Corcovado.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, I am now wondering whether in fact it is worth staying in Rio for 3 further nights??

Perhaps may be worth just one night??ie disembark, have a day/night in Rio and then fly home??

Perhaps if anyone has been to Rio before at a similar time you may be able to advise.

I have already posted this on the roll call but only one reply.

Probably those of you who have already done a similar trip may be able to give me some advice.

All thoughts/ ideas will greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

Swabs.

Since it has been a couple days since you posted without a response, I'd like to give you my opinion (although we were in Rio before Christmas - not during).

Firstly, I find the Ultimate Rio Package very overpriced (we will be in Rio in April and are offered the same package so we are familiar with it). This can be done on your own for much less money - even with a private guide.

IMO, most places will be closed early on Christmas Eve and closed completely on Christmas Day. I see that your cruise gets in on December 22nd and you will overnight in Rio. This is the perfect opportunity to see everything you would like to see on the 22nd and 23rd. Also, almost all flights out of Rio leave at night so you would have plenty of time on the 23rd to do sightseeing. Just make sure to leave loads of time to get to the airport as it will undoubtedly take a long time (it took a long time even when it wasn't near Christmas).

The last time Regent did this itinerary was when we were on it (either 3 or 4 years ago). This was one of our favorite cruises - ever. In fact, we liked South Africa so much that we booked the Cape Town to Cape Town cruise -- the one right before yours.

Hope this helps:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank You so much for your reply Travelcat.

Having done some research I am now starting to agree with your comments, I think we may decide to stay in Rio 1 night post cruise and then fly home ( Xmas Eve thus celebrating Christmas @ 30,000 feet)!

Greetings all,

We are seriously considering taking the Cape Town to Rio cruse leaving Cape Town on 9th Dec 2015 and before I book I am "doing my homework" - all part of the fun!

Our thought was to stay in Rio and take the RSSC Ultimate Rio package before flying home to the UK.

However this would mean we would be in Rio Xmas Eve and Xmas Day.

Having looked up on the net the places one would visit as part of this package ( can only look at 2014 at present) when doing a mock booking the calendar shows them not to be open on 24th Dec and 25th Dec eg Trip to Sugar Loaf Mountain and Corcovado.

Any thoughts would be welcomed, I am now wondering whether in fact it is worth staying in Rio for 3 further nights??

Perhaps may be worth just one night??ie disembark, have a day/night in Rio and then fly home??

Perhaps if anyone has been to Rio before at a similar time you may be able to advise.

I have already posted this on the roll call but only one reply.

Probably those of you who have already done a similar trip may be able to give me some advice.

All thoughts/ ideas will greatly welcomed.

Many thanks

Swabs.

I would suggest you post your question in the Brazil forum on TripAdviser. Lots of local knowledge available from that forum.