Specialty Restaurants on Navigator

What is the best of the specialty restaurants on navigator for celebrating our anniversary? I keep reading rave reviews of Sabor, but we live in Texas and have access to great Mexican food, so I'm a bit hesitant... Giovanni's seems to have a nice menu, but is it more family oriented? And I'm confused by the new Chops menu and references to tater tots! Please help :)

We've done specialty dining in HAL, NCL (Brazilian steakhouse and sushi) and Disney (Palo and Remy) and were impressed by all of them. For those that have tried these restaurants, how does RCL compare? We don't mind paying an up charge as long as the experience is worth it.

Thanks in advance!

I have to vote for Sabor and I live in San Antonio. I don't care for the new Chops menu. Giovanni's would be my second choice. We didn't go to Sabor in March because we thought Mexican? Why? We tried it in June and LOVED it. Went again in August. I think it is the best specialty restaurant in the fleet. I have to say on the Oasis the "cantina" version of Sabor wasn't as impressive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't say Giovanni's is family orientated per say.

You can get family style sides and appetizers and have a lovely romantic evening for the 2 of you. Ask for a nice table by a window.

We have experienced the restaurant with couples, families and singles. Have always found the atmosphere to be just right and the service excellent.

Well worth the up charge if you have to pay for it:)

DW insists that on every RC cruise we go on we have to go! And I do not need persuading.

IMO the steak in Giovanni's is better than chops.

We always leave full and tipsy;)

Hope you have a great time on NOTS, with whichever venue you decide on.

Happy Days!

Graham

We live in Texas as well and I have been to many, many Mexican Restaurants from the family owned to the upscale and none have been as good as what we experienced at Sabor and we went there twice. We have been to Chops many, many times and on Navigator as well. We have also been to Giovanni's many times and on Navigator as well. My vote would be for Sabor, hands down.

But have you eaten at Sabor? So much better than either Chops or Giovanni's on Navigator. Those restaurants are good, but not great.

No, I've not eaten at Sabor. I have a personal issue with a Mexican restaurant that does not serve soft corn tortillas.

We live in Texas as well and I have been to many, many Mexican Restaurants from the family owned to the upscale and none have been as good as what we experienced at Sabor and we went there twice. We have been to Chops many, many times and on Navigator as well. We have also been to Giovanni's many times and on Navigator as well. My vote would be for Sabor, hands down.

Thanks for the insights...for some reason I'm just mentally struggling with a $25 per person up charge for Mexican food... I feel like we can feed all 4 of us (two are toddlers....) at many of our amazing Austin taco restaurants (granted they aren't fancy places, but the food is phenomenal) for around $25... Still, the buzz and recommendations are starting to persuade me.

Maybe we'll do both...

How about Izumi? I was somewhat tempted, as we do love sushi, but pricing seems a bit high for what you are getting. I'm thinking I'd rather just save that money and put it towards a sushi place we know we like at home (would probably cost about the same and then I don't have to cook :)).

Thanks all for the tips and opinions!

Thanks for the insights...for some reason I'm just mentally struggling with a $25 per person up charge for Mexican food... I feel like we can feed all 4 of us (two are toddlers....) at many of our amazing Austin taco restaurants (granted they aren't fancy places, but the food is phenomenal) for around $25... Still, the buzz and recommendations are starting to persuade me.

Maybe we'll do both...

How about Izumi? I was somewhat tempted, as we do love sushi, but pricing seems a bit high for what you are getting. I'm thinking I'd rather just save that money and put it towards a sushi place we know we like at home (would probably cost about the same and then I don't have to cook :)).

I shared your concern about $25 for Mexican food and that is one of the reasons why we didn't try it on the first cruise. Try it and come back and tell us what you think. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Took my daughter on NAV in late August for her 21st bday. We were excited to try Sabor, since we are both Mexican fiends. Sad to say, we were both a little disappointed. We have traveled frequently in Mexico, understand the difference in Tex-Mex vs "real" Mexican, etc. Just weren't bowled over by Sabor the way were thought we would be based on the rave reviews. Frankly, I can make guacamole that's as good as their tableside version at home. On the other hand, we had exquisite food in Giovanni's, with service to match. But hey -- go to both! You really can't go wrong, and NAV is a gorgeous ship. Enjoy!

I'd do Sabor first, Giovanni's Table second and Chops last.

I live in TX but am from California and was thrilled that Sabor wasn't Tex Mex.

There are so many better steak restaurants here in cattle country that Chops didn't cut it. Giovanni's was excellent Italian w/ an interesting menu.

Ambiance wise, Chops is the most "romantic" I guess.

Does anyone know if Sabor open for lunch on the Navigator of the Seas?

Jean

Yes, open for lunch on sea days. Price was less than dinner, but I forget the amount. Also don''t know if the lunch menu is different than dinner.

Maybe we'll do both...

We ate at Izumi's as well and loved it. Cooked my own meat and it was fabulous!!!

For Navigator the order I would put the restaurants in are as follows:

#1 Sabor

#2 Izumi

#3 Giovanni's

#4 Chops

We ate twice at Sabor and once each at Izumi, Giovanni's and Chops. The two formal nights we ate in the Main Dining Room.

Enjoy them all, we are sailing Navigator again early next year!!!

Edited by Lilyrosemum

Price for lunch at Sabor is $15. The menu is slightly different. I recently did a B2B. For both weeks Sabor was not open for lunch on the first sea day, day 2. Also, if you reserve several restaurants on the first night, you will not get a discount off the $15 since it is already discounted. It does count towards the number of restaurants reserved. It is well worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is the best of the specialty restaurants on navigator for celebrating our anniversary? I keep reading rave reviews of Sabor, but we live in Texas and have access to great Mexican food, so I'm a bit hesitant... Giovanni's seems to have a nice menu, but is it more family oriented? And I'm confused by the new Chops menu and references to tater tots! Please help :)

We've done specialty dining in HAL, NCL (Brazilian steakhouse and sushi) and Disney (Palo and Remy) and were impressed by all of them. For those that have tried these restaurants, how does RCL compare? We don't mind paying an up charge as long as the experience is worth it.

Thanks in advance!

We passed on Sabor since we live in Dallas, but we did the other 3, did Giovanni's twice once for lunch and once for dinner both was excellent, we did Izumi the last night and would have done it more if we had more days. Chops was just ok for us, we have tried many other better steak places on other lines, also Chops is 35 compared to 20 for Giovanni's and you can get a good steak in Giovanni . Giovannis is great for family or couples

Thanks in advance!

All 3 are good in our oppinion, try them and review them for us!:D

Have sailed twice since Feb on Navigator & have eaten at three of the specialty restaurants. I am from Texas too, so I know what you mean about another mexican reataurant.

In Feb we ate at Chops. Was not impressed at all. Steak was very average. Small area, dark.

In Oct we booked Giovanni's & Sabor (after seeing the guacamole making demo) - quite impressive!

Giovanni's table is very romantic. The food, IMHO was nothing special.

Sabor was a pure delight! Very modern decor, the food was very good (very different from our traditional Tex Mex)... They make fresh guacamole at your table & it is MAAAVELOUS!

We ordered the "Sabor Grand Margarita" it was absolutley the best I have ever had! They make it at the table.... They were kind enough to share the receipe & I've been on a mission to get the "key" ingredient (Cedilla Liqueur) that makes it special.... Thank goodness for friends in NY! Can't buy it in Texas stores (no one carries it locally) & online stores can't ship it to TEXAS!! Uggg.

We had the Premium drink package & it cost $2 more than our package allowed, so they only charged us the upcharge.

They were so good, we went back a second night & they made us some more to take to dinner in the MDR with us! LOL!

We go on the Navigator again next Sept.... We will definately eat there (not the others tho) - we MAY even eat there twice!

Also the last two sea days, Sabor is open for lunch. (Not the other days tho).

That's my .02 worth....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, I've not eaten at Sabor. I have a personal issue with a Mexican restaurant that does not serve soft corn tortillas.

But they DO! I had them as I am Gluten Intollerant & they not only served soft corn tortillas, they even served me GF tortilla chips!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But they DO! I had them as I am Gluten Intollerant & they not only served soft corn tortillas, they even served me GF tortilla chips!

Good to hear. When I asked the host at Sabor on our cruise back in September, they said no. Silly me to just ask one person.

• 3 months later...
How different is the lunch menu at Sabor vs. the dinner menu?

anybody know this?

I see in a recent Compass that the specialty lunch time is 12:00 to 1:30; can anyone who has recently experienced any of the Specialty restaurants on the Navigator tell me what the latest time you have been seated was?

TIA, Lisa