What kind of power strip to take on ship?

flygirl2

What kind of power strip is permissible to take on the ship? I've messed up in the past and took one that was too strong I guess and I blew a fuse in the cabin and blew out my power strip. I hadn't even thought about it being an issue so I don't want to do that again. What amps is the correct one to take? Thanks

Make sure you get the Belkin Model BST300. They make two that look the same. The BST300 is a 2.1Amp (vs. 1Amp.) That will allow you to charge your tables via the USB ports. The 1Amp only has enough to charges cell phones, and small cameras.

Hi Flygirl :)

When cruising my wife & I use a Belkin surge protector, (below).

Very inexpensive & fits in our camera/camcorder bag.

powerstrip_zpsa6dfd261.jpg

:)

This is like the one we use. On our last cruise (on the Liberty), because of the way the outlet was slightly recessed, the power strip had a tendency to lean down a bit out of the outlet. I used a paperback book to prop it up. Otherwise, no problems using it.

Hi Flygirl :)

When cruising my wife & I use a Belkin surge protector, (below).

Very inexpensive & fits in our camera/camcorder bag.

powerstrip_zpsa6dfd261.jpg

:)

This is the one that works best for us. The USB ports are perfect for charging those small devices.:D

Edited by BigDoug

Instead of taking a power strip, why not just pick up an adapter or 2 so you can use the 220 sockets for your electronics. Most chargers are designed for 100-240 so they can be plugged in both. They are very inexpensive (just two round prongs to a US style plug). Probably cheaper then your power strip.

That way you can use the other existing sockets. If you have something that needs the 110 you have it available. You don't risk overloading the one plug like you do with a power strip and you are compliant with line policy.

I must say the poster who said they had theirs taken is the first I ever heard of it. In fact many sites about cruising as a tip tell you to take one. I have on our last four cruises.

It might have been because I kept it in my bags instead of carry on but I still have the letter I got in my room saying it was confiscated and I could pick it up at the end of my cruise. I had been sailing from Baltimore on the pride for that one

I must say the poster who said they had theirs taken is the first I ever heard of it. In fact many sites about cruising as a tip tell you to take one. I have on our last four cruises.

I've taken one on every single cruise I've been on and never had it confiscated UNTIL my most recent cruise in May 2014.

• 1 month later...

Took our 5 plug with extension cord last week and had to pick up an end of cruise. They brought a 5 strip surge protector and we used an extension cord we had brought. Need cord as have fan(which they didn't take) and CPAP machine. Think it depends on the scanner.

What kind of power strip is permissible to take on the ship? I've messed up in the past and took one that was too strong I guess and I blew a fuse in the cabin and blew out my power strip. I hadn't even thought about it being an issue so I don't want to do that again. What amps is the correct one to take? Thanks

Monster Power Strip Power to go. Under 10 bucks. They are perfect. New models have USB chargers as well. Folds up neatly on itself and fits in the palm of your hand. Gives you 3-4 additional outlets from one.

Good luck!