When Does TA Know Air Schedule

CruisinAway

I'm hoping someone here can help. This is my first Atlantic crossing and one-way air back to Ft. Lauderdale (4/29/06). I thought I would ask the question here before I talk to my TA again. Although air is included in my cruise package, I still need to get to FL and home from Baltimore. Getting there is no problem, it's the return I am concerned with.

So, here's my question: When does the TA know the air schedule? I don't think it is through the cruisline because we are staying 2 extra days after the cruise (part of the package). When I asked about the air schedule, where we would land for customs, if air was through cruiseline, the TA became a little unpleasant and said I could always make my own air arrangements and they would adjust the price. He did say that customs would probably be in Atlanta. I told him I didn't want to make my own air and we left it at that. The agent called me with some reminders and that is when I mentioned the air. I rarely if ever have had to call a TA after I make a reservation...we are not novice cruisers.

Anyone have suggetions how I should handle this? Should I just wait a month or so then call again and ask about schedules? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joan

It sounds like your air is through the cruise line, which you can do even if you are arriving early or staying late. If that is the case, then you won't know anything until probably about 30 days before the flight.

I'm having a similar problem. If I can't get air information until 30 days before sail away, how can I get a good airfare deal? Interesting.

You said the TA told you it was not air through the cruiseline? If that's the case, he should know the flight arrangements now.

I'm going to call RCCL and ask about custom air...If you are a C&A member or Captains Club Member maybe you should call them and ask about custom air. At least they will know for sure if your air is through them or not.

Hope this helps.

I'm having a similar problem. If I can't get air information until 30 days before sail away, how can I get a good airfare deal? Interesting.
Surely you have a choice: You can either get a good airfare deal yourself and abandon the cruise line's arrangements, or alternatively leave it to them with the advantages of doing that plus the disadvantage of not knowing what the precise arrangements are until nearer the time.

Surely you have a choice: You can either get a good airfare deal yourself and abandon the cruise line's arrangements, or alternatively leave it to them with the advantages of doing that plus the disadvantage of not knowing what the precise arrangements are until nearer the time.

Well said.

I believe I said I could resolve my problem by calling RCCL. But no one has been able to help poor Joan. Evidently, I read her problem wrong:

She needs a round trip ticket from her home to Ft. Lauderdale. She knows when she's flying down (any time before 4/29 when the ship sails) but she would like to know when the plane will arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale so she can buy her round trip ticket ahead of time. Her travel agent told her the air is not through the cruiseline. This is why she asked the question about air schedules. I only tried to help by telling her to call the cruiseline, I don't know why you jumped all over me.

I'm hoping someone here can help. This is my first Atlantic crossing and one-way air back to Ft. Lauderdale (4/29/06). I thought I would ask the question here before I talk to my TA again. Although air is included in my cruise package, I still need to get to FL and home from Baltimore. Getting there is no problem, it's the return I am concerned with.

So, here's my question: When does the TA know the air schedule? I don't think it is through the cruisline because we are staying 2 extra days after the cruise (part of the package). When I asked about the air schedule, where we would land for customs, if air was through cruiseline, the TA became a little unpleasant and said I could always make my own air arrangements and they would adjust the price. He did say that customs would probably be in Atlanta. I told him I didn't want to make my own air and we left it at that. The agent called me with some reminders and that is when I mentioned the air. I rarely if ever have had to call a TA after I make a reservation...we are not novice cruisers.

Anyone have suggetions how I should handle this? Should I just wait a month or so then call again and ask about schedules? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joan

If I am reading this correctly, you have booked a transatlantic with one way air from Europe and hotel, all in a package. The question seems to be whether the air is from the cruiseline or whether the TA put together a package for you. I would bet that the air is with the cruiseline. I could be wrong, but I am betting, by reading between the lines, that I am not.

You need RT air from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale and return. IF it is cruisline air, you will not know the schedule until 30-45 days out. That makes it difficult to book a cheap airfare. And the dates you are traveling cross over with Easter, Spring Break, etc. and make even expensive tickets hard to come by.

However, I would ask the TA about the add on air supplements, which are generally available to major cities. Most of the free air with cruise deals have add ons from other cities (for a fee). If this doesn't work, please post your exact dates and destinations and we will see if we can help out.

Gina

Thanks to all who responded.

Gina,

Thanks for your help. I'll call my travel agent to find out about the air and ask about the "add on air supplements". I guess I didn't know about the air add on because my TA knows I'm coming from Baltimore but didn't suggest anything like this.

Our actual sail day is 4/30/06 with return air on 5/16.

What is custom air through the cruiseline, that somone here suggested? Is that something I should also check into if my TA can't help me?

I feel like such a novice and actually, this is my 15th cruise. I guess nothing like this has come up in the past. Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

Thanks again for the help.

Joan

Joan,

I am really having a hard time making sense of this. From your dates, I have deduced that you are on RCCL from FLL to London, via Belgium, etc.

Did you get a special where air was included (advertised as FREE) on the return to FLL? If not, and your TA booked cruiseline air, your TA did you no favors. Let's hope not.

Cruise air, to my understanding, is to/from embarkation or debarkation to wherever your home airport is. Specials are usually from embarkation or debarkation to a specific point. On the specials is when the cruise lines offer add-ons. Below is an example of what I mean by add ons. The cruise illustrated includes FREE air from Seattle. If you want to fly from Baltimore, it will cost an additional $250.00-hence "add on". Otherwise, you can book your own RT to get to and from Seattle, which is what I believe you have.

http://www.cruises-n-more.com/websiteexclusives.asp?choice=&sailID=13075

Do you remember EXACTLY how you booked this cruise? FREE air from Europe or cruiseline air? If you booked cruiseline air (and paid additional for it), I believe you can still request custom air. If you do not have elite status on RCCL, you will have to pay a fee for custom air. But you get exactly the flights you want, at the times you want. Sometimes this is MUCH more expensive, sometimes not. But you will know what airline and times you will have well in advance of the cruise.

I am trying to help all I can, but the circumstances are a little iffy. Clearing customs in Atlanta also raises a lot of questions. If your air is London/Fll, why would you fly into Atlanta? Could be an airline charter or could be RCCL has a great deal worked out with Delta. Otherwise, I see NO reason (please correct me if I am wrong-we are all here for knowledge) to fly London/Florida via Atlanta, just for customs.

Gina

Gina,

What I have is a package deal, air, cruise, hotel; 4/30 sailing from Ft. L on JOS, returning 5/16 from England.

I called my travel agent this morning to specifically ask about air and was told absolutely NO I could not fly England to Baltimore (or even New York or Philadelphia) the air included was to Ft. L. (Of course, for many dollars more I could fly anyway I want to, I'm aware of that, but at this time that is not an option I want to use...LOL.) He does not know the air arrangements and will not know them until about 30 days before sailing. He did say I would definitely need to spend the night in Ft. L on the 16th. He aslo said that, as of now, the plane would be landing in Atlanta (for customs I guess) before going on to Ft. L, but that could always change.

SO, I CAN make my air reservations whenever a great airfare deal comes along. AND, now my DH will know exactly what days to ask off.

Still, my ideal return home would be from Atlanta (or wherever) instead of going back to Ft. L, spending the night and flying home the next morning.

If you have any suggestions of a better way to get home, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks for your help.

Joan

Hi Joan,

Well, at least you got SOME answers from the TA. I do logistics planning for a living, so I logged into the company database and the ONLY flights I saw from ANY airport within 75 miles from London, going to Atlanta for the first stop for customs and immigration were Delta flights. As I stated previously, you are either on a Delta flight OR RCCL has a charter. I looked up every Delta flight I could find and most arrive Atlanta sometime between 3:35 and 5:00PM. Plenty of time to catch a flight to Baltimore.

One reason I believe it is a charter is because the TA states you will need to spend the night in FLL. All the Delta flights, even the VERY latest one, arrives FLL before 10:00PM. And there is a Continental flight AT EXACTLY 10:00PM to IAD. Since you could POSSIBLY get a flight to Baltimore the evening of the 16th and the TA states you must overnight in FLL, more evidence it is a charter.

I can currently see an open jaw ticket-leave April 28, US Airways, DCA to FLL, leave 7:30AM, arrive FLL 9:51, nonstop. Then return on May 16, Atlanta to DCA, leave 8:30PM, arrive 10:09, on US Airways for $171.00RT. The only way this could really go badly is IF the plane goes elsewhere for customs and immigration. Now, how much of a gambler are you???

Otherwise, just book the best for you. I still say your TA did you no favors. I have not heard you say that TA offered assistance booking or recommending how to get to and from the ship and plane. I personally would not book another trip with this TA. Too bad you can't post who it is.

Gina

Hi Gina,

You are absolutely right. This TA did up no favors and I certainly will not use them again, ovc. I only used them because someone sent me the information and it certainly was a trip that I was interested in, great itinerary. He did not offer to help with air arrangements. I should have called my own travel sst agent.

When he confirmed, half way, that the plane would stop in Atlanta, but he said that could always change, I told him I was thinking about flying BWI or PHL to FLL on 4/29 then Atlanta to BWI or PHL on the 16th and he said that would cost too much. I told him I had already checked and it wasn't that much more. I checked again today and found it for $197 and $225 (of course gas prices are going up).

I did tell him that I would call every month or six weeks to see if he had any additional information about the air. He said okay. So I'll keep checking with him before I decide definitely what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Joan

Archived