Wheelchair advice

LVSue

Joanie, you are so sweet to have offered, and believe me, I'd take it up in a minute if it would work. I did even check out remote control wheelchairs, but they are $$$!

And I seem to be the only one it bothers, so I don't care if they store the new one in the garage when I'm not there. I just hope it is narrow enough to work. Keep your fingers crossed.

Let's do lunch! :D

Remote controlled chair? Never heard of one of those. I'll have to check them out via Google:) \

Lunch, Heck Yeah! We have a brand new favorite restaurant in town, Claim Jumpers:) You know where I live and the phone number my friend:)

Joanie

I live in Las Vegas, Joanie (and my brother) live in Albuquerque. We are now communicating by email since Joanie posted her idea. My last post was to let other posters know that I would let them know how it goes. When I post a suggestion or even follow a thread, I appreciate it when the OP follows up with what happened.

Unfortunately, I think I've already figured out that it won't go well. I didn't think about footrests and after trying to picture my brother's current wheelchair, I don't think it has footrests. That may cause a problem. Oh well, Disabled Vets will get a nice donation.

I live in Las Vegas, Joanie (and my brother) live in Albuquerque. We are now communicating by email since Joanie posted her idea. My last post was to let other posters know that I would let them know how it goes. When I post a suggestion or even follow a thread, I appreciate it when the OP follows up with what happened.

Unfortunately, I think I've already figured out that it won't go well. I didn't think about footrests and after trying to picture my brother's current wheelchair, I don't think it has footrests. That may cause a problem. Oh well, Disabled Vets will get a nice donation.

My apologies. From an earlier post it sounded as if you lived close to one another.

We use one of those lightweight chairs and in Sept. I pushed my husband quite well on our cruise. He weighs 150; I weigh somewhere in the vicinity of 115. Carpet on cruise ships is not plush and usually you are only dealing with corridors. Pushing on tile or wood floors is fine. We will be on the Westerdam in a few weeks and I expect no problems. BTW, he does use a walker inside the cabin and does transfer to a regular chair for meals.

For me this type of chair is a necessity, since I couldn't possibly lift one that is heavier placing it in and out of my small SUV.

I'm puzzled about a wheelchair without footrests. Are you sure there aren't any that are folded up or shipped separately that need to be clamped onto the chair? Foot rests are basic to all wheelchairs, I thought. :confused:

If you go to the HAL site and use the search in the top right corner typing in "wheelchair assistance" it brings up links to some really good HAL specific information.

Also ... my DH doesn't get around well anymore and can't walk any great distance and certainly not long ramps or stairs. Prior to our cruises we email a request for wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation where the cruise line has someone push him aboard and normally right to our cabin if it's ready. To disembark we meet in a predetermined area and they wheel him off, through customs and as far as the shuttle or cab stand we need. It makes life so much easier for me .. and definitely for him.

The cruise line provides the wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation but if a passenger will need one aboard ship they need to bring their own or rent one ahead of time that will be in your cabin when you board.

I'm puzzled about a wheelchair without footrests. Are you sure there aren't any that are folded up or shipped separately that need to be clamped onto the chair? Foot rests are basic to all wheelchairs, I thought. :confused:

Sometimes the footrests are removed for people that are primarily just seated in a wheelchair. A good example of this is nursing homes. The footrests are obstacles that can cause people to fall.

Sometimes the footrests are removed for people that are primarily just seated in a wheelchair. A good example of this is nursing homes. The footrests are obstacles that can cause people to fall.

Thank you for explaining. I have never seen that even though I often visited with a family member in nursing home for about 3 1/2 years. I must have simply not noticed.

When DH was in rehab center for 3 weeks following surgery and couldn't walk, the wheelchairs had no footrests - they encouraged the patients to "walk" with their feet even though they remained sitting down. DH said it really did help build up his strength again :)