NA Caribbean B2B Jan 2015 Clamshell Half Moon Cay

mactire

We are on a 14 day B2B on the NA in January 2015 and would like any advice on booking a Clamshell on Half Moon Cay, as we shall visit there twice. Is it worth the money?

Patrick

If you are a person that likes to walk the beach and be in the water most of the time (like my DW) then you don't need one - if you need to be out of the sun and like to watch the crowd walk by then a clamshell is the way to go.

They're not worth the money to us because we don't stay in one place very long. Also, we usually get there early enough that it's not hard to find a shady spot to drag a lounger to.

Edited by jtl513

• 4 weeks later...

I booked one for my November 2014 cruise just so I had a place to put my junk. Even though I should have priority tendering I don't at half moon cay. I decided to wait for the crowds to die down a bit. I left the ship at 10 and didn't get there until around 11. It was a huge hassle to get someone to set it up at that point. Also, 99% of them were already gone. If you are going to get one, get there early. I would never get one again.

I booked one for my November 2014 cruise just so I had a place to put my junk. Even though I should have priority tendering I don't at half moon cay. I decided to wait for the crowds to die down a bit. I left the ship at 10 and didn't get there until around 11. It was a huge hassle to get someone to set it up at that point. Also, 99% of them were already gone. If you are going to get one, get there early. I would never get one again.

That's a good point. We have one reserved for our cruise next week, but weren't planning to go onshore until after the horde had debarked. I don't even know who you go to to get it set up - we tried to rent one too late next time. I know I will be cranky if we go ashore at our leisure and find our clamshell not available.:eek:

That's a good point. We have one reserved for our cruise next week, but weren't planning to go onshore until after the horde had debarked. I don't even know who you go to to get it set up - we tried to rent one too late next time. I know I will be cranky if we go ashore at our leisure and find our clamshell not available.:eek:

I went from one person and they told me to see someone else. When I saw that person they told me to see someone else. Another lady was having the same problem. I get so annoyed with the way hal handles the tender process I didn't get off the second week. The bs with the clamshell was icing on the cake. It wasn't pricy but it was beyond annoying to get someone to care.

• 1 month later...

The clam shell rental card in the pink envelope laced on your stateroom desk states that your clamshell must be claimed prior to 11:00 AM.

The clam shell rental card in the pink envelope laced on your stateroom desk states that your clamshell must be claimed prior to 11:00 AM.

I didn't notice that. I'm not saying that it doesn't say that, just that it wasn't apparent to me. Hal does such a crappy job with the tenders there. They really need to be issuing tickets there instead of having a free for all. It was a hot mess on my 2 week cruise in November.

I always get one...they protect you from the sun and the rain! I once sat out a rain shower that pretty much cleared the beach...it was awesome!

That happened to us as well. It was the first time we had a clam shell. My husband wanted it because he doesn't like to be in the sun. I, on the other hand, like the sun to an extent and for only a short period of time. On our first trip to Half Moon Cay, it started raining. We sat under the clam shell and watched everyone running to the tender. The beach was totally cleared out and we remained under our clam shell. The rain cleared out and we had the beach to ourselves.

Last time we rented a clam shell, my husband sat underneath and I sat out on the chairs in front of the shell to get some sun. There were more than enough chairs on the beach to be able to do both.